Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. insular

insular Member

all of a sudden, Prashant no longer works at HP, and is retired on an island sipping pina colada's still chuckling at us dumb OCAUers

USE YOUR IMAGINEATION MAEN!

2. RedeSiGn

RedeSiGn Member

Still waiting for HP to charge my CC, however I have already been charged by 'PDawg Enterprises' :confused::confused::confused:

3. Splash

Splash Member

mine hasn't been charged yet either..

4. stumo

stumo Member

<peeks over parapet>
    I'm not sure if I should show my face round here, but OzBargain has saved me immense amounts of money over the past year and a half.

I knew about this deal from ocau, via whirlpool, and I did give you guys nearly 3 full working days to have it to "yourselves" before posting it on OzB.

The main reason I posted it when I did was that there was a good deal on a ReadNAS NV+ that people were going for. But the HP microserver pissed all over that thing, so I threw it down. I did give you guys a shout-out on the deal post too. So hopefully you gain some new members too (like me?).

Anyway, I'm starting to get over OzBargain a bit lately... Too many leeches and too much spam for my liking. I will keep an eye on it for HDD deals for my microserver though.
    <hides back behind parapet>

5. oli

oli Member

Fair enough. I don't really care personally I was just wondering.

6. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

how have people been getting the solaris 11 onto a USB?

7. Jimbo123

Jimbo123 Member

I followed up on the email they sent requesting delivery/billing information yesterday afternoon basically asking "what's going on, I've received no confirmation email and no charges to credit card",.. 5 minutes later I get an email requesting a password reset against their sales site and charges on my CC were also made.

8. luztra

luztra Member

Received my DessyTesk order today (WA), but now not sure if I will end up using it and may just go for a "ready made" NAS.

9. OP
    OP
    Stanza

Stanza Member

10. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

11. Hyram

Hyram Member

So change the fan already!

The N36L's PSU is about the only standardised subsystem in the whole box, it's designed for and sold to OEMs for 1U and 2U rackmounts, this explains the standard 24-pin motherboard trunk and the presence of only five 4-pin Molexes for device power despite it living in a box full of SATA connectors (and the rats-nest of joiners underneath the ODD bay). The PSU will have either a 40mm Delta (noisy) or a 40mm Adda (quiet) and the fans were originally chosen because most of the PSUs would be wedged into one end of a 1U rack box with its fan being responsible for venting the entire chassis. HP don't have a say in what fans are used as its a prepackaged OEM module.

As the N36L gobbles about 35 watts on average (12 by itself, 42 with 8GB, four HDs and ODD, and the most you can pull from PCIe is 25W) the electronics inside the PSU hardly have a chance to get warm. Even if you maxed the machine out you can't draw more than 70 watts, which is less than half the PSU's 150 watt rating. As the big 120mm on the back does all the venting, the PSU fan is left with one job, cooling the PSU. In fact, you can pretty much get away with removing the PSU fan altogether, there's enough side-draft from the 120's airflow paths to keep a small amount of air moving through the PSU if it were removed (I know, I removed mine and checked).

If you want a fan, replace the Delta/Adda with a thinner 40mm chassis fan such as a Connectland CF40 or Nexus Real Silent N40. Or you can break off the silicon glob holding the two-pin minimolex down inside the PSU, run the fan leads to outside ithe PSU housing and use an inline limiter or 7V converter and a Molex passthrough. Possibly the simplest (albeit slightly hazardous) solution is to jsut unplug the fan and then leave the top of the PSU housing off when you put it back in the case.

12. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Thanks for the suggestions (with hints of rage, haha!). The fan in my PSU seems to be a Cofan 4020TH12B, 12V, 0.28A, 8000RPM, 10.5 CFM.

Thing is, I actually ended up killing the PSU fan last night due to a boo-boo when measuring its voltage (I thought it may have been ramped up speed wise due to a faulty temp sensor or something) - anyway I got a reading of 5.38V before I managed to accidentally touch another solder lug on the fan controller PCB with the multimeter probe and short it :upset:

So yeah, the fan is silent now, it doesn't work at all :lol: PSU still seems to run fine and output 12V / 5V / 3.3V - but I don't trust running it without the fan, plus who knows what else I took out with the short.

I'm not fond of the idea of hacks on the power supply for something that I'd have running 24/7 (i.e. when I'm not home).

I do appreciate your suggestions though and the effort you took in typing the post - and they are things I had thought about (I was looking at replacement fans before I measured the voltage and managed to blow up the fan controller :rolleyes: ) - but yeah I've decided against anything more extreme than that ;) If I do replace the fan it would be with one of the same thickness but perhaps a slightly lower max RPM.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  13. stumo

stumo Member

I've ordered a picoPSU for mine off eBay, 80W pico plus 60W 12V adapter for around $50 shipped.

I'm hoping to get the idle power consumption down into the mid twenties, from its current 35W level. Also means no PSU fan (mine is quiet anyway), but mostly I want lower power consumption.

14. gr8r-x

gr8r-x Member

Good thing you already have a replacement ordered! :p

15. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

how long will you have to run it to recoup the money your saving by not using the standard one?

16. gr8r-x

gr8r-x Member

Replacing the PSU will help a bit, but only ~20% mark. Run with as little RAM as possible, and green HDDs. About the only real suggestions I can make to run it low, as there are zero BIOS options for undervolting the chip.. Unless someone wants to investigate a hardware mod. :Pirate:

17. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Yeah, it was pretty stupid, I know. I was getting impatient with the no-ETA thing and wondering if I could fix it myself, and also doubting that the replacement would be quieter.

The irony of it is that I told myself to be careful when measuring the voltage not to short anything. :lol: Just happened to touch the solder lug as I was pulling the multimeter away, too :upset: A few mm in 3D space, a conductor and a few microseconds in time was all that was necessary for electrons to flow where they weren't supposed to and forever ingrain my stupidity in history :Pirate: D'oh!

Has anyone found any nice looking single 2.5" to 5.25" hotswap bays? Or even an internal 5.25" to 2.5" adapter?

18. stumo

stumo Member

About 2 years, less if prices keep going the way they are!

19. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

20. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

I must say the learning curve for linux is high for those who have used windoze for years.

hacking away at trying to get a ZFS pool up under solaris.