1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

small rack or tower servers

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by phrosty-boi, Oct 25, 2019.

1. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

hey all,
    looking at possibly replacing some of the branch servers at work, a mix of old stuff we currently have is past it's use by date so wanting to standardise on something newer

we have some sites with space restrictions though so looking for something compact

the only small branded server I can so far some up with is the HPE DL20 or Dell T40 tower, microserver is a touch on the low specced side with no redundant PSU option or SAS etc

looking for something ideally less than 400mm deep but with real enterprise features like SAS drives, hardware raid and iLO controller

is this something that is just not really achievable these days?

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

400mm is tough. R240/340 is around 550mm

Failing that

The Dell VEP4600 might right the bill - depends how much space you need?

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

What do these servers do?
    Can you use rack mount Nas instead?

4. scips

scips Member

supermicro do a few good little units, i cant remember the model num but spec I used was 8thread xeon/16gb ram/hardware raid 1/dual lan/ipmi (supermicro ilo, easier and does some simple stuff better than hpe/dell) in a 1RU / <400mm chassis (had to mount some of them in comms racks pretending to be real racks)

Similar to this - https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/system/1U/5019/SYS-5019C-M4L.cfm

I think they were around 4-6k with our specs

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  5. person

person Member

Sounds like a comms rack - does it have enough cooling for a server? Ideally need some space at the rear for airflow...

6. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

Hi guys,
    Yes a couple of the racks we have are comms size but full height so we could get a small tower in or rack, i'm also taking noise into account as well
    we have a DC at all sites already which we want to potentially replace and split the DFS component onto it's own VM since we'll have the entitlement to use 2 VM's
    The rack will have enough cooling and airflow
    NSanity - what's the Dell box you're talking about - never heard of those assuming it's a standard server?

7. bryn

bryn Member

Supermicro is the answer here- they do all sorts of sort depth units, depending on the requirements. We use tons of them.

8. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

If the business wasn't picky on a large brand we're familiar with I'd be looking at the supermicro gear as well, a requirement is something we can get rapid support for if need be
    I've looked at the Dell box NSanity mentioned and looks like they might be a good contender depending on price, plus might future proof the WAN side of things too

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

so they are typically used for SD-WAN applications (sitting atop vSphere) - but at the end of the day, they are a Dell supported 2nd gen Xeon-D platform with all the typical Dell goodies (iDRAC, OME support, etc).

I've had pricing back before, and well there is a slight premium to it for the form factor and thermals - but overall its not horrendous.

10. jsp1511

jsp1511 Member

We been looking for something with similar specs.

We grabbed our first hp dl20 which itself is only around 400mm deep - but the rails are actually closer to 600mm deep at their shortest. So keep that in mind when looking.

We only got the single power supply version. The extra cost for the better chassis with redundant power wasn’t justified for us

11. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

jsp1511 thanks for the heads up on the rails... that might be an issue for us... though all things failing we could always fix it to a shelf in the rack if need be... ghetto solution but would work
    NSanity - what's the ballpark pricing you've got on those Dell boxes, as SD WAN has recently been thrown around a bit after a recent external systems review

12. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Ive used some HP factory supplied solutions that were essentially Velcro straps to hold a chassis down to a sliding shelf.

Unless you're going to use cable ties I can't imagine it would be more ghetto than that.

13. tensop

tensop Member

cable ties arent ghetto, they're a professional solution where a real fix is required