1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Small receiver / amplifier (to hide in ceiling space)

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by ][ XpLoiT ][, Aug 22, 2016.

1. ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

Hi all,
    I have recently moved into a new place and have commenced building a really low budget bedroom projector setup.

I got a projector for free, i purchased one of those optiworks screens from ebay and its all up and mounted working well (surprisingly).

My main requirement is for an Apple TV to be used in the bedroom.

I have 2 ceiling speakers (just dodgy ones) that i need to cable back to something, and im thinking about a really mini / micro receiver of some description but am out of luck finding one.

It needs to accept HDMI (from the apple tv) and output HDMI. My projector is DVI (yes its free and dodgy refer to above :) ) so i have a HDMI to DVI cable ready to go.

I just need to do an audio breakout.

Considering it will be in the roof, it needs to have a remote with it, and something that i can attach an IR extender to, to poke through the bracket holding the projector up. I have a pitched room with a kinda attic up there.

As you can tell, im not looking at spending a metric shT tonne,
    Many thanks.

Dave

2. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

When you say its working well, are you currently running the hdmi to dvi cable from the apple TV to the projector? Have you tested that it works? I ask because it should not work, because the apple tv will use HDCP and DVI doesnt support HDCP.

That means running a HDMI to DVI cable from an AV receiver also wont work. Usually to get a setup like that working youll need to convert the HDMi to VGA using something like this HDfury adaptor:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDFury-2...675682?hash=item2a518ac662:g:1KIAAOSwYSlXhGj3

Im using one to connect my HDMI av receiver to my old plasma which accepts VGA.

There are no tiny AV receivers, best you could do is something like a second hand marantz NR1604 which generally sell for about $390-$410 on ebay second hand, see here (not my item):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marantz-...696166?hash=item3aca9269e6:g:rsMAAOSwdzVXuBP2

If your roof/attic gets warm i.e above 35 degrees, I wouldn't put ANY amp in there - that means running speaker cables down through your projector bracket and down the wall to a cooler location for the amp. This will save you stuffing around with IR repeaters.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016