1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Smallest case for ITX-APU setup

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Slicer, May 2, 2022.

1. Slicer

Slicer Member

Building a plex ITX APU linux setup and looking for the smallest possible case.

Im in love with the Inwin Chopin but I really need the 200w version which I can't seem to find stock of anywhere in AU.

Anyone aware of something similar? Sub 5l with a PSU included, or one that supports a PSU that I can buy economically. All the ATX PSU supported variants are 11+L

2. sanjay

sanjay Member

the chopin is about as good as it gets. what could you possibly be cramming into it that needs more than 150w?

3. OP
    OP
    Slicer

Slicer Member

150w ok for a 7700k/16g/z270-itx ?

4. sanjay

sanjay Member

more than enough, assuming youre running at stock speeds. its not what i'd put in a chopin, because the 7700k's unlocked multiplier and Z series OC support will be wasted, and the graphics suck. best case is to drop something like a ryzen 5600G into one (although AM4 ITX boards are frustratingly scarce at the moment).

5. OP
    OP
    Slicer

Slicer Member

Fair call. Mainly looking to move on from my hefty 3770k/1080ti hw transcoding plex server and use a NAS/SFF UHD630 for some basic sub 1080p HW transcodes while re-purposing old hardware.

6. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I've been running a Plex server with (occasional) hardware transcoding on a lowly Kaby Lake Celeron with HD 610 (G3950) for some years now - it's been plenty. I don't think there's any difference in decoding / Quick Sync between HD 610, HD 630, and UHD 630.

It can easily do 3 simultaneous 4K H265-> 1080p H264 + SDR tonemapping transcodes, and I've never found the limit on the number of simultaneous 1080 H264 -> whatever transcodes (but that's personal and family use, I'm not running neighbourhood Netflix here)

7. OP
    OP
    Slicer

Slicer Member

Perfect! Thanks for the reassurance theSeekerr and thanks for the power advice sanjay

8. sanjay

sanjay Member

yeah i probably shouldnt assume what people are using their little rigs for haha. it'll be perfectly fine for that, although id probably still sell it (at a premium) to someone who's interested in that era of stuff (and theres a lot of people who are), and still go to AM4 for the better GPU performance.

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    OCMunkee likes this.
  10. lennie

lennie Member

I used one of these a couple years back for my htpc/plex server with an athlon 3000g. It works, it's tiny. Grandkids play all kinds of games on it. It does get warm when working hard. I put a couple 40mm fans in the sides. Venting the top might be needed if you were using a higher tdp chip.

Streacom f1:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/cases/mini-itx/76952-st-f1cb-ws-evo

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022