Smallest, Faintest Galaxies of the Ancient Universe Spotted

Discussion in 'Science' started by chainbolt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Smallest, Faintest Galaxies of the Ancient Universe Spotted

Just 3.8 billion years "further" viewing, and we could see them all. :leet:

And they used the light from closer galaxies as magnifying glass. This is cute:

2. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

For no real reason been reading up a lot on the age of the universe and associated things for ages. There is now arguement that that universe could be a lot older than originally thought and that we will never be able to see the full extent or even close to it using our current technology.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Now all we have to do is create a way of getting there :Paranoid:

4. RnR

RnR Member

Yay - an infinite playroom :D

5. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

An infinite playroom. Was reading last night about the expect number of planets in the universe, taking away the infinite concept, and was in the trillions for our galaxy alone.

6. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Our Milky Way has trillions of planets? That's difficult to imagine. I think current estimation are more in the range of a few hundred billion + a similar number of stars. Interesting that we even know nothing much about our own galaxy.

Did some reading in the all knowing Wiki and found this, apparently referring to the same finding reported in OP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy

They put the visible age "just 700 million years" after the big bang, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

7. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

8. RnR

RnR Member

9. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

That's still one of the great unanswered questions.
    Is the universe teaming with sentient beings or are we alone?

There's good arguments either way and I find it hard to know which answer I'd prefer.

10. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

If the universe is as large as thought then there mathematically has to be other life.

11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It does not read very scientifically. ;) But I don't mind whether our Milky Way has a few hundred billion planets as usually thought, or two-to-three trillion planets as he believes.

Probably in our galaxy alone there are many planets with earth like conditions that would support human life, and then there are for sure many planets existing that provide the environment for other lifeforms.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  12. Hyram

Hyram Member

"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." -- Arthur C. Clarke

13. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

With our current technology I don't beleive we will detect other life.

But I do believe it exists. With so many other planets, I cant see how there couldnt be.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I might be the only one but I'm actually quite excited by the possibility of other life out there. Certainly not terrified. But it's a nice quote.

15. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

It's certainly an entertaining thought but levels of technology, mainly ours, will make detection damn slow I think. At least with what we have now.

16. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I also believe it exists. There must be millions of planets with earth like conditions. But it's mute, there seems to be nothing within our solar system, this means there will be never any actual "contact".

17. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

For sure plenty of earth like planets. Add to that the ones that have conditions where life such as the extremophiles could exist and the possibilities seem great. What we don't know is if those unusual forms of life could ever evolve into anything intelligent. All the life forms here that have advanced much beyond slime are carbon based and oxygen breathing.

Up against that we should remember how close life came to being extinguished on this planet from things crashing into it. Evolution here suffered a few major setbacks.

For sure true contact (two way communication) is beyond us unless they happen to be very close by however we are putting a lot of effort into listening and so far nothing.

18. RnR

RnR Member

'Transcendence'. Any critter smart enough to build a transmitter, will be smart enough to eventually figure out how the universe is structured at its lowest level, and enable it to escape the universe. The time period between discovery of radio waves and transcendence capabilities are probably very short compared to geological and evolutionary time scales.

19. |guanA

|guanA Member

I found this thread to be quite informative until I got to this post....

20. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

Intellect limited?*

What RnR is describing is technological advancement, not necessarily Moore's law, but a doubling of human knowledge approximately every 10 years. In some fields, its even less. I suggest you look past the language barrier to find the concept. If you need help, here is a link.

Additionally, forgive me for being pedantic but magnification is a by product of lensing. No actual magnification occurs, rather a concentration of light, along gravitational planes, occurs.