Smart Bulb brands + usage

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Primüs, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Primüs

Primüs Member

Hi Forum,

Not sure if this belongs here or in Lifestyle but more electronics related...

Just bought a new house. The whole house is fitted with the 5/6 " ceiling can downlight thingies. They are decent Clipsal LED's with the colour selector switch on the light itself (if you pull it out, between warm, cool, and cooler) but im looking to replace them all with smart bulbs, full RGB preferred.

The phillips hue ones are stupid expensive - does anyone have a recommendation of a decent brand that is compatible with Google Home - either hub or hubless at a reasonable cost? Will start with a room or 2 but ultimately I think there is 20 or so bulbs around the whole house that I will eventually convert.

I'm also curious - how do you all go with leaving the light switches on and let it all be assistant enabled? Do you often forget and turn them off at the switch? I'm thinking in future of maybe updating the switches too but not sure yet.

Thanks.

2. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I've recently gone through this process and ended up on Brilliant bulbs (through Officeworks). They are comparatively cheap and integration is easy since they're wifi rather than zigbee (so they don't need a hub). The downside is that they are wifi and 2.4ghz only so care should be taken regarding the number of wifi clients on your network.

In my case I can set up a separate 802.11n SSID specifically for IoT stuff and have all my other clients on 802.11ac but that's harder on consumer WAPs.

I quickly learned not to turn the light switches off and ask Google to do everything for me. Google Home routines are also decent and I'm moving into getting more automation with Home Assistant and IFTTT.

Dilbery likes this.
  3. darknebula

darknebula Member

Maybe look at a smart switch at the wall.

Dilbery likes this.
  4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I have a few smart bulbs (TP-Link Kasa, Arlec, Yeelights and one other that I can't remember) and the other week I got a Phillips Hue starter pack on sale from JB for $28 (had the home bridge, and two globes). Fast forward two weeks and I've replaced all my other globes with Hues, they just work better and quicker than the other brands I've used, I've found the wifi globes take a bit longer to turn on than the Zigbee globes do. I've even added motion sensors and dimmer switches into the mix. Just wait around until there are sales on, I've got things like the light bars for around 50% as well.

That being said, they are just Zigbee devices so you could get "knock offs" or Ikea lights and they may have the same experience

https://www.lectory.com.au/7W-Nue-S...eless-WiFi-Control-Hue-Echo-Alexa-Google-Home
    https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/categories/departments/home_electronics/36812/

In regards to the switches being on, as I'm in a rental I've basically taped up all the lights that have hue globes in them. I've got a hue dimmer switch in rooms where guests can use that to turn on the lights if they don't want to use the Alexa.

5. pantner

pantner Member

I have the following smart switches.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Approved-...l/dp/B078M49TZ4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1858MFWJIS70Y

You need an electrician to install them, but i find them much better over the globes.
    As you said, you don't have the problem of switching off the smart globe. You can use both the "smart" commands (app/voice) or the actual wall switch.

With those devices you do need their own "hub" to control them.

I use mine with Alexa and that works quite well.

6. darknebula

darknebula Member

how do you rate these? I was considering getting a few

7. pantner

pantner Member

i don't have any problems with them. They do need to be powered all the time, so if you have a normal wall switch, you'll need an extra wire run and all those sorts of things.

As i said, works well with my Alexa. The light-up switches are nice in the dark, but it's a little trickier hitting them by feel as the front is completely smooth.

darknebula likes this.
  8. wraith666

wraith666 Member

What's the power consumption like given they are technically on all the time?

9. pantner

pantner Member

TBH i have no idea. It doesn't seem to be documented.

I would imaging, about the same as a Phillips Hue or similar, as they would use a lot of the same hardware. Maybe slightly more cause of the LED(s) for the switch.

10. mtma

mtma Member

Dim LED's only require some milliwatts so the switch doesn't have to contribute much energy use due to a led in it.

The power use can vary due to inherent efficiency differences, and also WiFi is inherently more heavyweight than Zigbee. For example it seems the Wifi V1 Yeelight apparently draws 1.2W, versus 0.3-0.4 for Hues.

Looking at this summary for example, it seems like the LiFX bulb has the closest consumption to the boring bulb, suggesting markedly lower standby power in relative terms. Though the details on the reviews are behind a paywall so not sure whether they adjusted the on-brightnesses in the summary.
    https://www.choice.com.au/home-impr...articles/how-much-do-smart-lights-cost-to-run

11. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I have quite a few wifi-connected 'smart' things and haven't really noticed much of an increase in the background power draw in the house. TBH I suspect it's bugger all (maybe a couple of watts extra for everything) so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Same could be said for inline switches like the ones linked above.

12. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

oooooo they really got you there hahah! I can understand why though; Hue is the gold standard and that starter pack is bloody cheap.

Dilbery likes this.