1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Smart TV won't see WHS 2011 Media Server

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Sabien, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Sabien

Sabien Member

Hi Guys

I have just built a media server at home running WHS 2011 and have everything working great with 2 wireless WD Live boxes pulling media off the server to different parts of the house but my Sony Bravia Smart TV won’t connect to the media server.

It did connect once while I was installing windows updates on the server and I thought I had stumbled across the answer but obviously the service that allowed the TV to see the server properly doesn’t start by default.

I’m not even sure it’s something I did on the server that made it work the first time or if it is a network setting on the TV that I need to configure.

Any thoughts would be helpful at this stage because I don’t want to go an buy an extra WD Live box or similar just to play media in our movie room.

2. Zee

Zee Member

I have always found that Sony is an absolute PITA when it comes to NAS or Servers, but perhaps try adding Serviio - that *may* give you what you need...

Z...

3. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

As Zee has said installing a media server such as Servioo, Universal Media Server, Plex etc and share the folders/drives you want shared and it should work fine.

4. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

UMS ftw. Works across multiple devices with ease.

5. OP
    OP
    Sabien

Sabien Member

Thanks guys. UMS fixed everything :thumbup::thumbup: