1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Smart Watches

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by AmB, Apr 30, 2020.

1. AmB

AmB Member

Hi all,
    Since there isnt a dedicated sub-forum for these or even a need for one I thought I'd start a thread on these.

Also, since some of the smart watches out there can talk to apps on both iOS and Android, it doesnt make sense to have a thead in each.

Anyhow, I'd like to start it off discussing the Galaxy Watch 46mm which I'm thinking of getting mainly for its health and fitness tracking, but also for its ability to have different faces, and its IP68. The Bluetooth only version, I dont need it to have its own 4G. Best price seems to be around $350ish from Kogan, direct import so warranty with Kogan ( a discussion in itself).

So has anyone out there in ocau land got one, and if so whats is good and bad about it?

I'll also be getting a metal band as I'm not a fan of the subber/silicone ones.

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I have been using a Samsung Gear S3 Classic for 3.5 years now, purchased at The Good Guys. Quick-release metal band installed from day 1. Paired with a Galaxy phone via BT. No problems whatsoever.
    Works really well for fitness tracking/steps with Samsung Health integration, phone alerts and messaging, Samsung paywave, music controls, weather lookup, calendar, timer, stopwatch, emergency light in the dark, etc. Only con would be not a large plethora of 3rd party apps out there other than default ones above, but to be honest haven't bothered looking in a long time.
    Waterproof is handy, but I don't swim or shower with it on.

Battery lasts several days, but I take my watch off when sleeping so it charges on the nightstand nightly, which is so easy to do with the wireless charging stand.
    Shite-ton of 3rd party watch faces, some cost money but a lot are free. Samsung still push out firmware and software updates every 4 months or so, which is good.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  3. Jazz

Jazz Member

Have the Galaxy watch 46mm, upgraded to a nice leather band. Have the 4G model, but not activated.

If only wear it during work hours, I will get 5 days out of it, hitting single figures on battery by 5pm Friday. I am regularly away from home overnight during the week so I appreciate not having to remember the charger.

I honestly can't think of any downsides, but I'm not a power user. It's a watch that tracks health, let's me check txts, and does pay wave.

4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I've only had Apple Watches (Series 0, 3 and 5), the Series 3 was Cellular but the rest haven't been. The fitness tracking stuff is great for rides, walking, running etc, but mostly for me it's about seeing what's next in my calendar and getting notifications, although you very quickly learn to turn most of those off.

I never thought I wanted/needed cellular, the couple of years I had it was nice but I quickly learnt that cellular killed the battery (in the S3 Apple Watch at least) in half a day. Really only good for a run/ride/walk then back near the phone for the rest of the day. Since I no longer have cellular I notice when I walk to the bathrooms at work or even around the backyard at home I often get the little flashing icon saying it's not connected to the phone, I've also missed messages or calls because I got so used to my watching being always connected. That said, I don't know that it's worth the higher cost and the monthly fee to make it work.

I keep thinking of switching to an Android next time around, but buying a phone and watch at the same time gets very expensive.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've got the Samsung Gear S3. I don't use it a whole heap for tracking my fitness tbh. It's interesting every now and again to check it, but I'd do that every couple of months maybe.

I would like to know sleep patterns but well it needs charging and the only time I don't wear it is when I'm sleeping, which is when it gets charged, so effectively useless for tracking sleep.

What I do love however is all the awesome free watch faces, it's like having a new watch every time I change, and some of them are fantastic pieces of art. Also include animated ones, but I think they would drain more battery so I don't bother.

The other thing I absolutely love is the notifications, which is linked to my phone, so in meetings I can check my watch for notifications from messaging and emails and not look like a dick checking his mobile all the time. I can just check my watch in a more discrete fashion. I love it for just this feature alone as I can leave my phone in the house and be working in the backyard and get all my notifications real time.

First thing I did when I bought it was swap out to another watch band too.

th3_hawk likes this.
  6. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Sounds about the same as my usage, although I have cut back notifications to only direct messages, calls and calendar reminders otherwise it's drives me bonkers with notifications. I thought I was largely ontop of things with the phone... but you learn very quickly how to manage notifications when you have a watch at a whole different level.

I've got the old watch in a drawer and at first I had them both synced to my phone so I could swap out and wear the old one overnight for sleep tracking and the new one during the day for all the newness.... turns out I hate wearing a watch to sleep. It's a pain, sometimes literally, to wear and when it lights up at night it's annoying. I was tempted to try just a cheap alternative with the smallest (or no) screen possible but, despite a love for data of all kinds, really decided I didn't care nearly enough to bother.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sometimes it can be quite pestering depending on how many emails/texts you get. I only have it set up for emails, texts and notifications from three other apps....Telegram, Auspost and eBay. And trust me, that's more than enough!

8. OP
    OP
    AmB

AmB Member

ok, so I got a Galaxy Watch via my daughters school id and Samsung Education Store, saved $200 :)

received it yesterday, still playing with watch faces, trying to find something that looks analog without all the busy extras and wild colours.

9. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Getting the series 5 Apple watch in hopefully the next couple of days any tips?

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hope you have an iphone :leet:

11. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Getting that as well basic iphone 11

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For those with the S3 I just got a big update come down a few days ago. Don't really see much new in these updates though. I guess most of it is just bug fixing.

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

So a bit of a sale on atm.. Looking for one for the wife as well
    For me: Can get Galaxy watch for $299 (with $50 newsletter coupon) https://www.samsung.com/au/wearables/galaxy-watch-r800/

For her: Galaxy watch Active 2 $449 https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/samsung-galaxy-watch-active2-40mm-lte-stainless-steel-gold
    Or Galaxy Watch $449 (with $50 newsletter coupon) https://www.samsung.com/au/wearables/galaxy-watch-r810/SM-R810NZDAXSA/
    Or supposedly a new Galaxy Watch3 coming in August....

What do to....
    Which one? How much?

14. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Got a galaxy watch here with eBay metal band, love the thing and it's 5 days battery!

[​IMG]

Highly recommend. Hmm Watch 3 looks nice.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

5 days!?? What? No way.....you must have everything worthwhile turned off :p

16. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

They easy do 5 days, however i like to have always on face, so i get 2-3 tops.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hmmmm, might have to think about upgrading then.

What I do find amazing with the Gear S3 is how tough the bezel is. I've smacked it against things, walls, ground, furniture etc etc....and not a single mark on the face, not even a scuff.

Nethiuz likes this.
  18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Nice, the Galaxy watch is ok but the bezel is painted a darker colour and it scratches, i just wish it was left bare metal.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I dunno what they did with the S3 but it's just about bullet proof. Surprised if they changed that.

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. spludgey

spludgey Member

I got the Fossil Sport and in theory it's a brilliant watch. Looks good and is reasonably comfortable, but I feel they've made a big mistake trying to get a full android operating system on there. It's just way too slow and too laggy. So laggy that, even if the doubled the ram and the processor speed, it would still be too slow.
    If Wear OS survives long enough, I'm sure it will be a brilliant system, but in its current form, I think it's somewhat unusable unfortunately.

That's why I a Galaxy Active 2. I'm much happier with that. Lag is pretty rare, it does most things that I want it to and the battery lasts two whole days. I do miss the functionality that Wear OS gave me that Tizen clearly doesn't, but all in all, definitely worth the compromise.
    It's going to be even better when they enable ECG and when I can add it to my mobile phone plan at the end of the year (LTE version).

Nethiuz likes this.