Smart Watches

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by AmB, Apr 30, 2020.

1. yoink

yoink Member

Yeah I've owned several wearOS watches (also before it was called wear OS), plus a Samsung S2.
    I much preferred the S2, however I don't use it anymore, as it doesn't work with non-Samsung phones.
    At the moment in using a Xiaomi mi band 4, it does all I want - heart rate, control music, etc, and it's super lightweight. Sure, it doesn't look as nice as a watch, but it's fast, and battery life is over 20 days, which is pretty great.

Nethiuz likes this.
  2. spludgey

spludgey Member

Are you sure?
    I'm using the active 2 with my Huawei Mate 20 Pro. I know it's a different watch, but I would have thought that you can do the same thing.
    The Samsung software I had to install was a bit annoying though.
    The Samsung store is terrible and unintuitive, in my opinion.
    At least I was able to install Google Assistant, rather than having to use stupid Bixby.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Galaxy Wearable new update just dropped....updating now.

4. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Garmin Forerunner 235 here, it's a few years old but still does all I need it to. Can download faces and different apps from Garmin. Also uploads to multiple places like Strava, MyFitness etc etc. Usually 7-10 days between charges, just depending how many walks//rides I track using GPS.

I'm tempted by some of the new Suunto range, but, well, you know, WearOs, ugh. :p

Smoothie likes this.
  5. yoink

yoink Member

Yeah I tried everything, including installing the software you mentioned - it simply wouldn't work. This is about 3 years ago, so things might have changed.

6. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Plus 1 for Garmin Smart watches - I bought the fenix 5 and love it. perfect size, look and does what I want it to - except I will say, there is an issue with the weather app - never seems to work. But even after removing that it still is far better than anything else I've tried.

oh and battery life - easily 5-7 days.

7. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Forgot, bupa members get 20% off in the Garmin Store too.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

that's awesome battery life, I wish for something even half that. Strange the weather app doesn't work, have you tried another?

9. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I googled it a bit and found that it seems to be a known issue that hasn't been resolved - I then found that I could remove it.. so i just did that. now as I scroll the apps I am not greeted with the weather "loading" or what ever picture. To be honest I use my phone for my weather updates anyway.

There probably is an alternative on the Garmin app store. I had a quick browse nothing really stood out.

10. Sledge

Sledge Member

New Galaxy Watch 3 out now
    Seems a bit overpriced to me...
    there's nothing special about it as far as i can see?

11. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Right in the ball park of the Apple Watch Series 5, although probably cheaper since it's got cellular at it's $699 price point.
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/samsung-galaxy-watch-3-45mm-black

I'm on the Apple side of things at the moment, but I do say that if I was to switch one of my prerequisites is a decent watch that does notifications and "stuff" that I need. My phone lives on silent and the watch means I'm still aware of what's going on. It's amazing how often I don't even know where I left the phone around the house and have to use the remote finding thing on the watch to find it. As long as I get my messages and calendar reminders I'm pretty happy.

12. Sledge

Sledge Member

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

Oh well..
    Ordered a bronze BT watch3 for the wife, and a silver BT watch3 for myself.. $1200 delivered

Hopefully they're as useful as ppl say...

yoink likes this.
  14. yoink

yoink Member

Awesome - let us know how they go :)

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Most use I get out of them is probably for notifications, although I love the tip above for finding my phone, didn't know about that feature :thumbup: Misplaced my phone a couple of times around the house, this would have been useful.

Sledge likes this.
  16. Sledge

Sledge Member

I'm assuming they'll go about the same as the old watches as there's not really that much difference..

17. yoink

yoink Member

Well, hopefully there's something better or new, otherwise what's the point of getting a new one? ;)

18. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  19. doug81

doug81 Member

I really liked having my Apple Watch, but daily charging is a bit annoying especially as I don't use half of what it could do! As I'm moving back to Android I looked at all the smart watches, but ended up deciding on Mi Band 4. Not a fan of wearing a silicon strap as I'd rather it's more watch-like so I've got one of these bands coming:
    https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...child=1&keywords=Mijobs&qid=1598793882&sr=8-3
    Not sure if anyone else has done similar? I'm in Cambodia so it's not going to arrive for another couple off weeks at this stage, will post up once I've got the thing...

20. Anteros

Anteros Member

I've had the miband 3, 4 and now 5. I don't know how they make them for so cheap, the 3 better than the fitbit it replaced for ~1/4 the price. I'm a kickboxer so need a small watch that I can put my wraps on while still wearing it, even with that abuse they still last me the year in between updates, though the silicon strap has broken on me a couple of times. I've recommended them to heaps of people though and they all love them.

I'm giving my partner the 4, let me know how you find this new band, if it's good I'll get one for her too... Or something similar depending on postage times, damn COVID.

doug81 likes this.