Smart Watches

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by AmB, Apr 30, 2020.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I had a couple of the very early mi bands and replaced the bands. Replacements were fine, but I think in the end I went back to the silicon, I don't find them too bad really.

2. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

guys, i don't know if i'm searching for a device that won't be out for another 5 years or not.

i'm looking for a smartwatch (not a hybrid) that isn't huge on the wrist.

these 46mm bezels things are way too big on my wrist. i dont have girly stick wrists, but i also dont like a massive chunk of metal flailing around on me too.

I'm really looking for a watch that looks like a watch - not a massive bezel, and not hugely tall/thick (whichever word is correct for describing the distance from base to glass lol)

any ideas?

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You will probably be better off with a smart watch designed for females as they do tend to have smaller wrists. Or maybe even a unisex watch. Mate of mine went shopping for his missus who weighs something like 52kg so she has tiny wrists, he just went to JB's and picked something which had a smaller face. Sorry can't recall what he bought in the end - I'll try and find out.

4. doug81

doug81 Member

[​IMG]

Finally got the band delivered, pretty happy with it. It’s a bit shinier than the Amazon pic, and there’s a slight variance in colour on the band compared to the body, but it’s hard to spot. Much better than the silicon band, I find it sits much more flush with my arm. Looks great, and happy to get the Fallout face loaded on it too!

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looks good.......now. Until the blue starts flaking off after a few weeks :p

doug81 likes this.
  6. doug81

doug81 Member

Yeah, wondering how long it’ll be. Had a nice one with my Apple Watch for 3 years without much more than a scuff, but it was a better quality than this one. I’ll enjoy it while it lasts :thumbup:

MR CHILLED likes this.
  7. Sankari

Sankari Member

Picked up a Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 5 for my son. Very impressed by it so far. Screen is gorgeous.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

After a few months how's it holding up?

9. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Got a Samsung Watch 3 45mm for Christmas. Been umming and ahhing for years and the wife had enough and just got me one. I am an onsite tech so have ordered screen protector, rubber cover and new band for it. Notifications are good because as previously said in this thread people don't frown upon you looking at your watch like they would if you pulled out your phone.

Smoothie likes this.
  10. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Nice looking watch, the wife has done well.

11. doug81

doug81 Member

Really good. No scuffs or marks, and the Mi Band 4 only needs charging once a month. I think if I had to do it again I would choose the Mi Band 5 for the bigger screen, as even charging every 2 weeks is a massive improvement over the apple watch. Loving the metal band though, very comfy to wear and looks way better than the silicone. Easy to pop out the watch for charging too, but again the Mi Band 5 wouldn't have that issue anyway...

MR CHILLED likes this.
  12. jakes

jakes Member

Recently went from a fenix 5 to a galaxy watch 3, so far so good. The GW3 is a bit more emphasis on smart watch while still retaining the HR and other activity info that I find useful. Battery life is about 1/3rd though, lucky to get two days. I usually plug it in every evening.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Good stuff, bit surprised really considering it's a cheapie, but good score :thumbup:

doug81 likes this.
  14. T1tan

T1tan Member

bought a fitbit charge 4 @ $129. I didn't want to spend too much, wanted to log my lazy numbers before I began to walk up the hill behind my house.

Instant regrets. I thought I could wear my regular watch and the band at the same time - this is not true, I just can't get used to it. I should have just bought a smart watch for home and the dress watch for work.

Pretty cool stuff though, for a gps device, $129 isn't bad! Wish it has the "find my phone" function though.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Anyone gone to the Gear S4? I have the Gear S3 and was thinking about changing but really there seems to be little point for the very small changes I'd see. Better sleep monitoring? Meh. Snoring recording? Meh. Gestures? Big Meh! just nothing really that innovative in the latest model that would warrant an upgrade.

16. doug81

doug81 Member

It finally has a small bit of wear - not flaking, but pretty sure I brushed past a wall and scuffed it. A year + a couple of days, not bad...

MR CHILLED likes this.
  17. Tinian

Tinian Member

Late adopter question/ dilemma: Should I get the Samsung Watch 4 or wait for the Google Vapourware every blog believes is coming?

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If you don't mind a bit of wear then these are good buys for the price. I've had Mi Bands before, they pack a lot of punch into a cheap device.

doug81 likes this.
  19. T1tan

T1tan Member

FWIW, I have not upgraded yet but I think I should have bought a super duper samsung watch instead just because I am now comfortable with the notion of a smart watch for home and a dress watch for work.

20. doug81

doug81 Member

Watch 4 sounds OK but with a few things that could be improved. Pixel watch has been coming soon for years, I don't like your chances (although to be fair, it's the best chance in ages with FitBit acquisition, Samsung Watch OS adoption, and new Pixel Tensor chip on Pixel 6)

Tinian likes this.