Smoked Whiskey Wings

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by mmBax, May 22, 2015.

1. mmBax

mmBax Member

Hey all, I built an ugly drum smoker the other week after seeing Statts fine handy work. And after dabbling in small scale smoking on various gas bbqs, I thought I'd have no troubles.

Long story short, my first cook up was a fail, creosote galore, and nothing but bitter, gross ribs that I'd paid 18 bucks a kg for.

If I was going to keep experimenting, I needed cheaper meat. Cue the Wings, 3 bucks a KG, can't argue with that.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/smoked-whiskey-wings-51175660

That's the recipe, loosely followed, a very small touch of cayenne would have gone down okay.

Very happy with how they turned out. Wasn't entirely sure how the Whiskey would go in the marinade, but the flavour really worked well with the smoke. Used hickory to smoke because that's all I had.

Excuse the potato quality pics.

Smoked on a tray.
    [​IMG]RibsUDS by chris.baxter, on Flickr

2 hours later I removed and basted with the marinade/sauce that I'd reduced down.
    [​IMG]RibsBasted by chris.baxter, on Flickr

Served with Hot Bandito's and Coleslaw.
    [​IMG]RibsPlated by chris.baxter, on Flickr

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nice work! They look tasty. I have marinaded wings probably once I reckon. Different sorts of marinade.....shop purchased.

Great after a long day at golf :p

3. OP
    OP
    mmBax

mmBax Member

Cheers chilled, yeah we often have wings here - can't really argue with 3 bucks a kg.

Only just noticed I've called the images 'ribs' as well, fantastic.:D

4. Revenge

Revenge Member

Good wings are one of lifes great pleasures..

So many ways to do them and so hard to completely fuck them up.

5. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Didn't notice the error through all the drool on my shirt.

6. OP
    OP
    mmBax

mmBax Member

Not that I needed any better reasons, but I ordered a Maverick temperature probe today. Saves me lifting the lid all the time to check it with the thermapen.

I'll probably do a shoulder next. May be a little more forgiving than a Brisket.

7. The King

The King Member

Why did you smoke them on the tray like that? Seems counter productive to not have them fully exposed from all sides..

What Mav did you get bro, 733 or 735??

Shoulder is easy, pork or lamb, go the snake, use your Mav - piece of cake.
    AmazingRibs is gold for getting into this gear.

8. OP
    OP
    mmBax

mmBax Member

I thought the same when I read the recipe tbh, the recipe is the only reason I used the tray. They did let out a lot of moisture which may have helped keep them a little juicier, but there was probably no reason for it really.

I only got a 732. Any important reasons why thats a bad choice? Could probably still can it if its terrible - I don't know if I'd need the second probe (hah! maybe not yet anyway), the BT connection on the 735 looks great though.

Good thinking about the lamb shoulder. We've had pork for the past 3 weeks so I need a break. Any good recipes spring to mind?

9. The King

The King Member

732 is only a single probe??

Don't waste your time mate - you'll regret a single probe.

Double probe is a MUST; you need a probe for the meat AND a probe for the grill (the gauges on most grills suck, no one near accurate enough for what you need); otherwise, you're wasting your time.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET-733-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B00FOCR4UI

Dual probe on Amazon anyway, nice and cheap.

735 is awesome, but the BT range is a little disappointing - 733 is still a great option.

DID I MENTION THAT DUAL PROBES ARE A MUST?? ;)

Recipe here;

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/******e_kentucky_black_barbecue_sauce.html

I didn't bother making the sauce, but dry brined and used the dolly rub; was bloody amazing. Recipe for pulled pork on there is great as well.

Just as importantly, the guides on how to set it up properly for indirect cooking with water pans and the like is fantastic.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. OP
    OP
    mmBax

mmBax Member

The 732 is a dual probe :D

Cheers for the link I'll check it out in the morning. Mrs will probably be glad to get away from pork for a while.

Actually it seems as though the links dead?

11. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

I have a ET-73 and ET-732, both work fine. No issues other than the probes failing which I assume is just from moisture as they're not waterproof. They've lasted much longer since being more careful with cleaning and positioning so meat juice won't run down the wire.

The 733 also has the same issue with non-waterproof probes but you can now buy waterproof replacements that suit from 732 and upward.

The wings look good. I've done full wings and injected with wing sauce mixed with butter, then rubbed them all over with the sauce and seasoned with Kreole seasoning. Injecting sauce/marinade inside is a great way to keep them really moist :thumbup:

12. The King

The King Member

Wtf, one of the words in the URL is censored?

Weird.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/

They're on there - Lamb page.

And thank christ you're getting dual probe!

13. OP
    OP
    mmBax

mmBax Member

Just got another kg of wings to do on the weekend. Not going to joint them this time, I'll do them straight on the rack and I'll take some better photos