Smokin Whale's Custom Ubuntu Image Collection

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Smokin Whale, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Edit: Update coming soon.

As promised, I have a few Ubuntu images I'd like to share for those who want an easy to deploy, tweaked version of Ubuntu which works great on older hardware and can be installed in 10 minutes or less. This is something I've been doing in my spare time to streamline the process of getting older PCs up and running for people who are struggling financially or want to breathe new life into their old unsupported Windows XP PC. I figured I spent a LOT of time configuring, testing and documenting this process, so I'd might as well try to share it to save others the time. You can find everything you need in the links below. All you need is a working PC and a bootable Clonezilla Live CD/USB, which can be found here.

Full disclaimer: I build these as part of the work I do at my small business, so you may notice the odd bookmark in Chrome pointing to my site. Feel free to delete these if you like.

Lubuntu 14.04 32bit

[​IMG]

Installation Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VhXUXXiKrTJ1EoSXeRTXk_N8iBOwTtukLbp5z3tM9B0

Changelog: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aMALxQn3jmPK4YPGm3uHPFc9af6zrSQAZBls0Y_Trs4

Download link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8B10EB6605598131!471&authkey=!ADlsjsbrr0ymDRY&ithint=folder,

Use 7-zip to extract the image to a folder then place it onto an SMB server or external storage device of your choice to use with Clonezilla Live. Will be adding other versions (Ubuntu 32 & 64bit) a little later when I get the time. Let me know your feedback and if you have any questions :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

I tried to vote, but you closed the poll in the other thread.

Thanks for your efforts, and the tweaking to make this work.

I'll test soon, as I have a couple of older machines that could definitely use this instead of transferring old XP licences.

I've only ever used Boot CDs, have NFI about running Linux in anger over the long term.

So, a question from a Linux Newbie... how does it get updated? Something automatic?

3. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

It checks for updates automatically and will pop up once a week or so. All the user has to click is click "install" and it'll update the system and all applications in one go :thumbup: much easier than Windows to be honest.

On a side note, my 90 year old grandma has been using an earlier custom version of Ubuntu for 2-3 years now and she loves it. So I guess if she can use it, anyone can.

Edit: Just discovered a minor glitch with desktop icons getting bunched up - all you have to do is right click on ones that are bunched up and uncheck "stick to current position" and they sort themselves out :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  4. CoHmodderSolo

CoHmodderSolo Member

so... I followed the steps to install right till the end. My swap partition is activated, no problems. But after I finished the process of reprogramming the command console to look for the new swap partition, I rebooted, then when I got back to desktop I get a system error thingy seems to be related to GParted. Ive chosen to sent reports of the problem so maybe you'll see it on your end... not really game breaking but quite annoying at startup.

also a question this is a really noobish: does Lubuntu have anything similar to My Computer on Windows?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Weird about the system error. I saw that on a couple of my PCs but it was due to a bad HDD, and the other I had no idea why but everything worked fine so I just disabled the error reporting system (apport).

Yes, file manager is what you're looking for.

6. CoHmodderSolo

CoHmodderSolo Member

is there an unbuilt HDD health checker tool in the OS? If not what would you recommend me to use to check this drive?

edit: oh and how about screen brightness control? I just did a quick search, getting mixed results...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  7. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yep, there's an app called "disk". Not sure about brightness, should be under display or something, but your keyboard should be able to control it. Works fine on my Asus EeePC 1000h. Are you using the FN key?

8. CoHmodderSolo

CoHmodderSolo Member

actually I installed it on a HP 550.. cbf doing it on the netbook last night. Function keys dont work.

9. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I'd put Ubuntu Gnome on your 550 to be honest, it's got enough power on it and I think it's better at supporting newer hardware. There's a little bit of polishing I want to do to my build but my last build is pretty good so I'll upload that. Same procedure except the text editor on Ubuntu is gedit and not leafpad.

10. CoHmodderSolo

CoHmodderSolo Member

Good point.. yeah its the dual core model with 2gb RAM instead of the celeron M. I was looking at the different distro's and noticed Mint. I'll probably try Ubuntu and Mint on my 550 and 6730s (HD3430m GPU).

11. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

12. CoHmodderSolo

CoHmodderSolo Member

I installed this custom Lubuntu on my EeePC netbook a few days ago. Its been running great, except that its a bit sluggish and slow. I think its just me being used to SSDs... however one problem is that my wifi keeps disconnecting by itself and a window pops up asking for the password. Its so annoying and giving me shits.. any clues whats wrong?

13. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Try disabling IPV6 on your Wi-Fi connection. It's been solid for me. It doesn't matter what OS you try, a netbook is never going to rival a modern desktop or laptop with an SSD. I find my EeePC tollerable but not great.

Also keep an eye on your RAM usage, chrome is a bit RAM hungry at the moment

14. koopz

koopz Member

I'm unsure whether I need to dob you in for thought crime or recommend your post to the OCAU admins as a FP newsworthy item :/

;)

15. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

:lol:

On that note I still have a bit of work to do, will hope to finish everything up this weekend :thumbup:

Edit: Still ironing out a bug in Ubuntu 64bit. My setup totally borked itself, drops to terminal on boot. Will have to play around and make sure this doesn't happen to others.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  16. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

Thanks for sharing Smoking_Whale, appreciated :thumbup:
    Will give this a go on some older netbook/laptops for my parents etc.

17. CoHmodderSolo

CoHmodderSolo Member

Hey smokin any updates on the Ubuntu Gnome 32bit?

18. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Download there if you missed it. This last week and a bit has thrown some curveballs (needing to recruit new talent + a death in the family) which means that I've had 0 time to sit down and get it polished.

19. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Update, been away for a month, busy with projects, etc. However I will have some time this weekend to finish off these. :thumbup:

Edit: Nope

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015