SMS/Text servers - what are people using?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by vader, Sep 18, 2019.

1. vader

vader Member

Hi all, we currently have an old server running IntelliSoftware ActiveSMS with a NextG modem attached that we use to send text notifications generated by Nagios and SCOM to various team members. Pretty simple setup, the monitoring systems send an email to the server and it then flicks off a text to the responsible person(s).

Now this server is a tad beyond its use by date so we are migrating over to a newer server running 2k16.
    This is where we run into a problem, ActiveSMS appears to be no longer developed (doco for latest version mentions fixes for Win 8 compatibility and on testing anyway it fails to install with an error about lack of memory).

So... What SMS/Txt software are you running? Whats the pro's and cons?
    I've had a look around an there are a couple of options, but would like some opinions rather than rely on marketing blurb.
    (Before someone suggests using an online service, that's been ruled out)

2. philquad

philquad Member

ive got a car service-rego reminder thingy that some freelance built for a mechanic yrs ago, its just made in ms access, but we do use a online sms provider.
    your welcome to it if its any good, probably not what your after tho, its beyond me

3. KDog

KDog Member

We just use smsglobal, accessed via API.
    We have various powershell, bash scripts which access the API.

4. scrantic

scrantic Member

5. Beanz

Beanz Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  6. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

It's very tangential to what sounds like a larger scale question - but maybe appropriate here. Is there an affordable service that can be used to send bulk SMS alerts to customers on an opt in basis? I mean I know I'd have to sort out the website portion but as far as the actual means of sending SMS'es itself?

7. OP
    OP
    vader

vader Member

Hi all, thanks for the replies.
    Just want to reiterate that we have an onsite modem for sending out texts, were not looking for a web service or anything off prem.
    Cheers!

8. scrantic

scrantic Member

https://www.diafaan.com/

Diafaan SMS Server is a text message software solution for Windows. It can be installed on a Windows server or on a PC or laptop to send and receive SMS messages with 4G/3G/GSM modems, Android phones, all online SMS services that support the SMPP standard and the HTTP API SMS services of BulkSMS, ClickSend, Clickatell, Esendex, MessageBird, Nexmo and Twilio.

Windows compatible
    [​IMG]
    Compatible with Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003 (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions).

9. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

to clarify my post - from my webserver (shared service provider) which is Linux based, wordpress website.

10. bcann

bcann Member

Gday Scrantic,

Can i ask what USB 3g/4g modem you use with this just out of interest?

11. scrantic

scrantic Member

12. bcann

bcann Member

Thanks, was looking at evaluating this product now that i saw this thread, and was looking for a POE Powered Lan connectible modem, am awaiting confirmation from the provider if they support the netgear LB1121 4g modem, which ticks both of these boxes. Given were 100% virtual i don't want to mess about with USB passthru if possible, even if it'll likely work, it could get messy, and this needs to be reliable otherwise i'll never hear the end of it.

If its not POE its not the end of it, but network would be much nicer... and given their limited support of modems for LAN, that are hard to get in Australia, i'd prefer something that is locally supported.

13. scrantic

scrantic Member

Keen to see how you go. Out of band notifcations is something we have considered but always seemed a little to complicated.

14. OP
    OP
    vader

vader Member

Funny enough, this is the one that popped up in my research too.
    So I'm going to install the trial on a dev server and do some testing.

I will report back here as there seems to be some interest in this type of solution.

Thanks all!.

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

For the originals OPs query. Do they need to be SMS/Text?

Smart phone users?

Push notifications.

I use 'pushover' once of registration free for unlimited received push notifications, notifications can be sent by email gateway, or HTTP API calls. can do more than just simple text messages, can attach images which appear in the UI.

I did see this
    Why, what business need does it not meet?

16. OP
    OP
    vader

vader Member

Just SMS/Text is fine.
    We use them as a heads up that there is a critical alert.
    If someone wants more detail they can refer to the email that's sent at the same time.

- Alerting on comms issues - bit hard to alert if it can't reach an external alerting service to send the alert.
    - Some dumb devices (looking at you generator) that don't play nicely with Nagios and instead send directly to the SMS server.

17. OP
    OP
    vader

vader Member

18. scrantic

scrantic Member

What modem did you end up using?

19. OP
    OP
    vader

vader Member

Were using a Netcomm M2M Serial Modem.
    Model: NTC-3000-03

Works fine, and has the added bonus of no drivers required for a serial modem with Win Server.

20. scrantic

scrantic Member

Sweet, When we get some time might investigate for out of band alerts. I wonder how an unlimited SMS SIM would work from an AUP/TOS point of view if you wanted to use it as an internal SMS gateway.