SNES Mini

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by Reaper, Apr 21, 2017.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

*I* don't have a problem with it. Nintendo do. And now Nintendo aren't selling a product, so I'm sad.

So by all means, give me all the "consumer rights" arguments you want. Cool beans by me. "No NES mini for anyone" is the result, regardless of which side you want to argue.

As I've said in the NES mini thread - you can argue the legal/moral side to flipping all you like, and you can argue that Nintendo didn't meet demand (which is true), but opportunistic flipping is still a dick move. And no, being a dick isn't illegal. If it was, we'd have a lot more folks in prison. And I'm not arguing that what you're doing with your flipping is anything more than a dick move.

But, people missed out, Nintendo gave up, and you're profiteering. So bully for you. Your short term gain has resulted in other people missing out. A dick move, but that's the way people are. I'm clearly not going to change your mind nor behaviour, and I can deal with that. Just like you're going to have to deal with me thinking that you're being a dick about this as long as you keep doing it. If you can deal with it, then let's leave the conversation here and save the OCAU server disk space. My opinion on flipping doesn't start and end with the NES mini, and hasn't changed in the decades of greedy dick flippers trying to change my opinion.

2. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

The thing that makes me laugh at these flippers is that they don't really make that much money. Chump change for pov chumps.

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

A quote for the ages

4. elvis

Ha. I've heard of black markets selling preserved animal genitals as some sort of hokum cure for erectile issues. So who knows, maybe "dick flipping" is an actual thing? #ocauwangdance

I'm of the mind that if it's not even enough to pay GST on, then what's the point? Why would you even bother (let alone brag about something so menial)? If you measure it in dollars per hour, I'd be losing money compared to the same amount of work I could do elsewhere (and by quite the multiplier).

But overall, for every chump doing it, they're taking 5 units out of circulation in an already undersupplied market. And there's a lot of chumps. As they say, no single drop of rain is responsible for the flood. Back to my "lots of dicks in the world" comment, which you can take in any context you like.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Why wait? you can get those games on the Wii U, New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL (normal 3DS can't).

6. elvis

Dollars per game, these mini consoles work out much better than Virtual Console.

Dramatically more so for anyone who doesn't own current gen Nintendo hardware.

7. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

Because I don't own any of those consoles :lol: and I don't wanna spend $100+ for the console then however much it costs for the game itself just to play some classic Nintendo games. I'd rather spend $100 for the console preloaded with multiple games. As I don't want a current Nintendo console for me it makes more sense

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  8. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

im sure he doesnt know how markets work ...

9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I am pretty sure he does, but he has morals. :D

10. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

every single thing we buy has been flipped at 1 stage or another LOL ... surely you can understand that ...

11. elvis

Hey everyone, there's a guy over there being a dick. Let's all be dicks!

You're not a market force. You're not a wholesaler or a retailer. If you were doing anything of value at valuable scale, you'd be paying GST. You're just a tiny leech.

And like a tiny leech, nothing you're doing is illegal. But it is a minor pain in the arse for everyone around you. Nobody can stop you, but don't expect anyone here to be in awe of you. In fact, expect people to think you're being a bit of a dick.

12. Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Tight-arses

If your such tight-arses why not emulate...

13. elvis

Buying retro games legally encourages companies to release them in sensible ways.

There's no need to buy a $400 console to play retro games. If cheap hardware can do it, then that's a great way to get a hold of games legally without buying hardware 1000 times more powerful than it needs to be.

It would be better if Nintendo just made things available on PC, but they're a slow company when it comes to sensible things like that (compared to Sega who offer dozens of ways to buy their old games legally).

But in the interim, these mini consoles are a fantastic way for retro gamers to get legal licenses of games without having to buy hardware they don't want.

14. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Not everything. Some of us like to know where our products come from, hence the rise farmer markets across the country. I am one of these people that hates seeing a scarce product hoarded by scalpers to make a profit (I have multiple retro consoles anticipating hardware failure). Yes market forces, but the market has multiple flaws.

The NES mini is emulation, as will be the SNES mini. I prefer (as does elvis) to play on the original hardware. Check out the retro section.

15. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I only bought 1 Nes mini for the missus and preordered the first batch on day 1 when they first went up for pre-order.

I'm not defending flippers but most people who were dying to have one could have if they put in the effort.

16. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

How do you figure that?

As both I and my partner work full time in demanding jobs, we have both been unable to order/pre-order a nes mini on every occasion they become available.

Please explain how I can put in more effort when I get to my work PC 3 hours from being on site and in meetings after they become available at EB games and are already sold out?

And elvis, you are being way too kind by only referring to flippers as dicks, its probably more of a complement compared to the vulgar term I would refer to them as.

Its so typical of life that a minority ruin something potentially amazing for the majority due to their own personal agenda with no thought or consideration given to the short or long term impacts of their decisions.

17. elvis

Had they been on shelves, they would have sold. It's pretty low to tell people it's their own fault for not being aware that they were selling out in pre-order (often in minutes).

OCAU sometimes forget that the other 24 million people in this country don't live on the Internet 24x7.

There's a metric tonne of folk who played the NES "back in the day", and aren't huge gamers today, let alone the sorts of folks who would even hear that these are available for pre-order. No secrets that I'm an avid retro gamer and game collector, and I have people visiting my house and playing my collection on a regular basis who are stunned that these games are still alive today. They all express an interest in buying these things, and have no idea they're available to buy new. These folks never had a chance to get a NES Mini, let alone even know they existed.

Yes, Nintendo totally screwed up both the supply and marketing of this. Zero arguments from me. But that doesn't change that what the flippers are doing is a total dick move. For the millionth time, just because something isn't illegal, doesn't excuse it from being scum behaviour. And trying to put it back on non-technical customers as being their own fault for missing out is a pretty low blow.

18. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I preordered mine while on lunch break at work, Hardly had to be on the net 24/7.

19. Sledge

Sledge Member

I'm with Elvis.
    I did want one, and went to a few shops a few times to get one.. always missed out. (can't do anything about it on the internet at work)
    Am i disappointed? Yes
    Am i going to cry ? No

Are flippers dicks for stopping me from getting one? Most definitely !!

20. elvis

You missed my point. How did you hear that they were available for pre-order?

Pro-tip: if it wasn't a TV or radio commercial explicitly explaining the thing (or a celebrity showing one off), then you're 0.01% of the population. I know it's hard to fathom that regular folk aren't like us. But they really, really aren't.