SNES Mini

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by Reaper, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Finally got my hands on the SNES, despite being delivered 2.5 weeks ago (long story)

This feel like the console to actually play on with the better game selection and controller. The NES feels like a water testing product and I feel sorry for those who paid more than retail for it. The Famicom mini feels like a collectors toy with the super mini controller that strain your hands after 30 mins of Contra or Mario.

Really loving the SNES because it brings back memories closer to me than the NES. Nostalgia to the max!

O/T: Retroarch on the SNES means I can play all the NES/Famicom games WITH A LONGER AND BIGGER CONTROLLER!!....my Famicom feels redundant now.

2. clonex

clonex Member

3. power

power Member

outselling PS4 and XB1 (probably make more money per unit as well) only being outsold by Switch.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/16/...dition-sales-ps4-xbox-one-switch-october-2017

elvis likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nintendo said they'd have more due in 2018. They're obviously concentrating on the SNES mini for Christmas 2017, but it's very clear they've ramped production right up, which is good news for everyone (except eBay vultures).

5. power

power Member

6. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I got 2 Super Famicom minis in Japan last week. Giving them as gifts but not sure if I should mod the menus to English or if that would devalue them. I think they are usable but giving to family a bit less tech savvy than I, so, decisions...

7. power

power Member

when you mod you can backup the factory ROM.

8. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

As mentioned, you can backup the factory ROM and restore back if required.

A bigger issue you're gonna face is that some games are in Japanese (i.e. FF6 (FF3 US), secret of mana, mario RPG). That could also be fixed, but would take more work ;) . That was also the reason why I specifically got the AU/EU model, because I want English games and also the EU/JP console casing with the 4 color controller buttons (opposed to the US purple button SNES).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  9. Munki

Munki Member

The US machine was also ugly in comparison. Just a blocky mess.

10. Phido

Phido Member

Yeh, I can see why perhaps US buyers might have gone for an AU/UK machine, way more attractive.

Additional games are very easy to flash. Real shame ninja turtles wasn't included, I love that game and two player action.

I think people are overvaluing the future value of these mini-consoles. They really aren't collectors items. They are items designed to be played and engage with a wider audience. If you want to collect something that is going to significantly increase in value, buy an original unboxed SNES and a dozen or so unboxed titles perferably signed by Hiroshi himself. I can't see flashing them as devaluing them much. More like breaking a controller or losing the original packaging would be more devaluing.

11. power

power Member

scarcity and limited run of desirable item = value. You can't rewrite that law.

12. Phido

Phido Member

While the SNES mini is cool, I wouldn't say its rare.

I look on ebay now, I see plenty of used and new SNES mini's. Seems like some of the speculators have having a difficult time of loading them. There are plenty at buy now $100.

But who knows, maybe in 30 years, some people will feel nostalgic about the SNES mini and will pay inflated prices for them.

13. elvis

Licensing is a bitch. Blame lawyers.

14. power

power Member

this is due to Nintendo actively making enough, I bet NES Classic is still highly priced..... for now.

15. Phido

Phido Member

Yeh, well at least it was easy to put it on it, even if I don't have it set up exactly how I want it. Its a shame really, because there aren't a whole lot of real two player games on it. Turtles are still hot property, until recently you could watch the original 1980's cartoon series on Netflix (and my son and I did, it was great for Sunday morning breakfasts). We watch the new series on ABC2 (I think the origional is on Go or something in the mornings too).

The classic are holding value better for now. But with the SNES able to play NES games, thats not so much of an issue really.

16. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

Apparently the good guys has these. They're advertised in the latest catalog we got with the local paper today. No price stated though.

17. elvis

Which is precisely why they're not on this device. The licensing fees would be crazy.

18. power

power Member

as someone who owns both devices the value of the device is not a concern.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

30 years is a heck of a long time to be holding out for a potential profit.

20. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Same. Got both devices. (Also the Megadrive and Atari flashbacks.)

I don't think they will have a ton of value in 30 years time, for all we know in a few years there might be a newer versions with twice the games on it.