SNES to Hyperspin box

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by perrymitchell, Mar 13, 2013.

1. perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

Hey guys,

Doing my first arcade/retro-gaming rig build and I'm documenting the process - I'm doing another SNES conversion, inspired by others before me (thanks Exige):

http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Nintendo-PC-artigo/ and http://hackaday.com/2011/03/30/snes-to-pc/

I'm planning to rip the contents of an NTSC Super Nintendo out to make room for a Mini-ITX mobo with onboard graphics.. Something that requires minimum power and cooling but gives enough juice to run emulated systems up to and -maybe- some XBox titles.

The system will run on Windows 7 using Hyperspin 1.0 as the frontend - Customised to the nth degree.

I'll document the process here in this thread, updating on a parts-received basis. I'd love to hear your feedback/encouragement/criticism. I love all the crazy old games but please pardon my ignorance on certain matters :)

--------------------------------------
    Build Statistics and Progress

Progress: Incomplete

Bought Items:
    - SNES NTSC and SNES PAL ($50)
    - Arrowroot ($1)
    - Vanish Oxy-action ($5)
    - Hydrogen Peroxide 500ml 6% ($10)
    - Glycerin ($5)
    - Nintendo security screwdriver 4.5mm ($10)
    - 2x new SNES controllers ($15)
    - SNES controller to USB converter ($15)
    - Paint & Primer ($20)
    - 10x Cherry microswitches ($8)
    - Hot glue gun ($18)
    - Zotac ION Mini ITX Mobo ($190)
    - Blue LED ($2)
    - HDMI 90 deg adapter ($5)
    - 60GB Kingston SSD ($72)

Running Total: $426

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. OP
    OP
    perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

I received a couple of SNES consoles from a mate today, officially starting the project.

[​IMG]

Like mentioned earlier, I'll be using the NTSC model - Looks a bit roomier and should be an 'easy' first project.

[​IMG]

I'll be using the original controllers primarily - I'll use a SNES controller -> USB converter to manage the front ports. Some lovely yellow action going on there.

[​IMG]

I'll hide (space providing) extra USB ports under the cart loader flap:

[​IMG]

The rig will sport HDMI out...

[​IMG]

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get around to gutting it... :D

3. flain

flain Member

4. OP
    OP
    perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

Thanks for the link - Looks pretty promising :). When I separate the chassis I'll look in to getting some peroxide. I'll hopefully get the chance to bathe the bottom half of the case this weekend to try and get some of the yellow out...

5. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

look in to pico-psu's for your power supply if you haven't already. They're what a lot of people use for these builds as they allow you to have the power brick external to the unit. They go up to 150w now I think but they're not cheap.

6. OP
    OP
    perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

Thanks for that, they look awesome! They'd be perfect for a project like this. I do currently have my eye on the Zotac board for this one, and it has onboard power, but if I end up going with any other board I'd definitely be chasing one of those.

7. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

Looks alright. The problem I always found with those Zotac boards is that they're so damn expensive for what they are (I can't even find where to buy that one in Aus?). You can spend the same on a bunch of other stuff and come out on top.

If it were me, I'd be going down the Intel HD4000 track - I think it's actually quicker than the 9400m on the zotac, and you can get very cheap s1155 boards floating around.

I'd go for something like this...
    - i3 3225 with HD4000 graphics $139 (55w tdp)
    - asrock h61m-itx board $75
    - 8GB kit of ram $59
    - pico-psu $68 for the 150w one, you'll need a power brick to do the heavy lifting though, and you can probably get away with a 90w brick given the rest of the system
    - probably $30 or so shipping

Then you just need to worry about case and hard drives.

Reason I don't like the FM2 platforms is they suck so much power, and while they can be done under 150w and gpu performance will indeed be better, the last thing you want is loud fans/lots of heat, especially when the HD4000 should do the trick.

8. Exige

Exige (Banned or Deleted)

You could also source a 1st gen Xbox 360 PSU. 203W, silent and you get 12v, 5v output from the pins.

In keeping with the whole console thing.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26244

Please note, the picture I linked is showing the input for an XBOX 360. So if you are going to use the cable it's a mirrored image.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  9. OP
    OP
    perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

Umart sells the zotac board for $180ish and has the board and CPU in one, so it's a little cheaper which is a big point at this stage. Granted it only supports ddr2 ram and up to 4gb, but I feel this is ample for most emulators. It also comes with the psu so I save a bit of hassle there too.

Everything I've heard on the fm2 systems so far is nightmarish problems regarding heat.. So I'm avoiding that due to the chassis I'm using.

Hard drives will be interesting. I'd like 2tb of space so I might have to see if I can squeeze 3 2.5" drives in there...

10. Exige

Considered using a small boot drive inside and using USB for your games ?

If I remember correctly the entire SNES library isn't any larger than 10gb anyway. Those USB drives can become your 'cartridges'.

11. OP
    OP
    perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

That's pretty handy. I've got a mate that's offered a free buggered xbox360, so if I end up with using another board like Narcoticx2 mentioned I could attempt to use the 360's psu as I'm sure it's quite tiny..

12. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

No worries - I'm just wary of the atom processor "generally' being slow but that's a personal decision.

Regarding your 2.5" drives, you're not going to need mountains of space. I'd consider trying to find a few 1TB drives rather than the 2TB's mainly due to cost but also availability.

13. OP
    OP
    perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

Hmm, it's a dual-core 1.6GHz atom.. But I've never used one before, so I guess I'll see. I'll probably just dial back the number of emulators I try to run depending on the performance. One thing I'm worried about is the hyperspin menu.. As I've seen it's a bit graphic intensive, I'm curious as to whether it'll chug or not. I can disable the opening "video" and be happy with it providing the wheel responsiveness is good.

I have a feeling I'm going to be pressed for space regarding the HDDs. I'd like (ideally) 3 drives: 1x 30gb SSD and 2x 1TB spindles, but after you add up the space that their caddies take up there's a lot of space wasted. Anyone know of any decent case-less SSDs for sale? I know there are alternative SSD designs (something like that runs on these) but I'm hoping to get it as cheap as I can.

14. OP
    OP
    perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

I have had that thought, but I really don't want to go through all that configuration (if even possible) for hyperspin to recognise romsets that are loaded separately. I'd like it to be an all-encompassing system.

I did speak with a mate (somewhat jokingly, I think) about the idea of actually turning some carts into external drives, wired to the original cart pins. Then wiring up the slot in the SNES to say a SATA interface. Obviously I haven't speculated *at all* as to the possibility of doing this, but it'd be a pretty nifty setup.

But again, I'd like as little to carry around with it as possible.. So I'm going to jam all of it inside that tiny case...

On another note, I currently don't have access to a screwdriver for the SNES, so I'm going to have to wait for one to be delivered :(

15. Exige

The good old Nintendo tri-screw !

It's a case of how retro you want to go, versus how nice and easy you'd like to be.

Is it going to be an MAME unit as well ? Otherwise I reckon you could get away with a 2 TB 2.5 inch drive for almost every emulator in existence.

16. OP
    OP
    perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

Yeah, the screwdriver is a pain. Tried the old melted biro trick, but someone's air-gunned my screws in I swear.

That's the beauty of how 'simple' the games were in the earlier systems - They take up no space by today's standards. The only sets that worry me at the moment are the playstation and dreamcast ones, which are about 400 and 200gb respectively. If I manage to accommodate some xbox titles through cxbx as well that'll push 1tb easy. There's also the artwork and intro videos that are coupled with the hyperspin setup I'm running.

Thinking of using an msata drive for the SSD boot drive (using this), but I don't know that that will save me any space at all. I'd still like to have 2x 1TB drives but if it's cramped enough I'll fork for the 2TB 2.5"

17. Exige

Playstation was max 650mb, some made it up to 700mb.

Dreamcast worked off a GD-ROM, 1 gigabyte discs.

Still all CD technology.

18. OP
    OP
    perrymitchell

perrymitchell Member

Yeah, that explains a lot. I'll probably start putting stats in the first post of the whole build, including romset sizes. It'll be interesting to see what size this tops out at.

Also thinking of trying to get some airflow happening... There are tiny inlets at the front of the SNES and a few "grill" holes at the back, but I don't know if this'll be enough to get a tiny bit of circulation occurring. Might be able to fit (snugly) a couple of 40mm fans... But they'd probably WHINE

19. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Actually the SNES uses a gamebit screw I forget whether it's 3.8mm or the 4.5mm but http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tri-Wing...tDomain_15&hash=item19d2ae2c5a#ht_1659wt_1397 that will get you all the screw bits you should need for the Nintendo generation and it's only $15 or so delivered

20. Exige

Never had the pleasure of opening up a SNES, just Gameboys.