SNK 40th Anniversary "Neo Geo Classic Edition"

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by g12345567, Apr 30, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Once you've played "Dolucky no Kusayakiu" (Dolucky Baseball) on Super Famicom, there is no going back to any other baseball game.

2. power

power Member

ok so SNK are in milk their fans mode.

3. elvis

You don't get many chances to not piss off retro gamers. Not to mention the fact that your competition is piracy, which is cheap/free and ridiculously easy these days.

I want to pay for old games, but I'm not going to let companies take the piss.

4. OP
    OP
    g12345567

g12345567 Member

Agree with piracy. Neo Geo is very expensive to collect for, Even when it was originally released.

Love the look of the limed edition christmas Neo Geo mini. Just surprised that the Neo Geo mini isn't officially sold in Australia. Unlike all the other mini consoles you can buy locally.

5. elvis

I'm not. Our whole country has a population of less than major prefectures in Japan. As a market, we're completely worthless, and they know folks who really want it will buy it from overseas (because we're used to it by now).

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Saw a bunch of them (the grey ones) at Wallmart the other day.. I had to ask the service kid where they were. He didn't know, so obviously they are not hot movers..

7. Vanne

Vanne Member

Picked one up from eBay yesterday.. just coz. International version. 75 us Spankers, and also added 2 controllers to the purchase. Should be here in a week or so. Might be fun for the kids. Have these been hacked/modded yet?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. power

power Member

to me the controllers would be the bigger killer.

Vanne likes this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

Yeah I've heard, I have the X gold controllers too, after modding they are actually freaking awesome. I wonder if they will work with a USB C to USB convertor?

10. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I passed on getting one of these after seeing reviews

11. Vanne

Vanne Member

Yeah I've read/seen all the reviews about the shitty tv-out.. thats ok, it was only 75 bucks.. free shipping.. lol, AND I just bought 2 USB C 3.1 to USB adaptors for the above mentioned X controllers.. wonder if that will work??

Ive also read, that the mini screen is pretty darn good. Might mod it with a batt inside, that will be cool for in the car/plane

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

Apperently it has arrived at my ship to address, now have to FedEx it to Dubai. The controllers are going to Oz, as they didn't want to/couldent ship to Dubai (ask me one day how much that shits me to pieces)

Looking forwards to checking it out for myself. It will need to go on the back burner, I have a race day on the 8th I have to prep for.

13. Vanne

Vanne Member

Arrived at my house last week, or maybe even 2 weeks ago... I had a go at unboxing it, and its actually a nice little package, however once i pulled the actual unit out, it straight away feels very very light... (i don't think thats a good thing).. and upon pull the plastic bag off it and feeling the stick and buttons, pretty much made me feel straight away that I've wasted my money. (mostly the stick)... no clicks or clacks.. no micro switches, just seamless 360 degree movement... :(

well its not all gloom and doom yet, as I've also got the 2 external pads that go with it, and truth be told , these actually feel ok, even though the stick also doesn't have micro switches.. but there is a feel of quality to these pads, which the controller on the actual mini very much much lacks. the other thing that stands out straight away for me is that for me (yep I have big hands), the mini console will never be really playable as my fingers over shadow 2 of the buttons at least at the same time, making precise play impossible.

But have no fear yet as i am not completely writing this thing off yet as i have yet to plug this puppy into my TV. AND my USB- C to USB plugs have arrived, which will mean i will be able to test if i can use my NEOGEO gold sticks with this thing. If thats the case, this might just be a whole new ballgame.. (hmm, might wanna note that my NG Gold sticks have been modded with Sanwa switches and Buttons Lol, so still not chalk and cheese) :D

Ill be testing this sometime in the coming week when my family will escape the heat and piss off to Bris Vegas for a week, while ill be left having to hold the fort/work. Lol.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  14. power

power Member

how can you be disappointed by the controller? that was in every review how bad it is.

the video out is also called out as being poor so don't hold your breath there.

Vanne likes this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

I've heard, but its always nice to find out for yourself. Its not so much the controller either, its a cheap piece of kit, so i knew its was going to be rubbish, but mostly its the the placement of the whole thing together. Its meant for very little kids hands. Either that or i have Humungous hands. I think the placement will be even too small for my 8 year olds hands.

Ive also heard about the poor video out, but will see how that goes, i can put up with less than perfect video , as long as there is no lag. as you said, i won't be holding my breath either.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  16. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member