So I can only get ADSL1

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MikeCheck, Apr 9, 2016.

1. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

What are some steps I can do to make the best of a bad situation?

Is it worth investing in a good quality modem to eek the most out of it? Or should I just stick with the bundled Telstra one?

It's a downgrade in speed from the 4G we're on, but 8x the DL-limit and 1/2 the price trumps the speed unfortunately.

Cheers

M

2. caspian

caspian Member

unless you have some sort of specific need to set up routing or QoS or something then I would just use the standard one.

3. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

There's probably not a lot in it to be honest. If you live very far from the exchange, Broadcom based modems are regarded as being more stable - but nothing is going to make ADSL1 "fast".

I know how you feel - we moved house and went from 100mb/s cable to ADSL1 syncing at 5mb/s. It's truly painful - i'm just hanging in their for another 18 months till the NBN is rolled out in my area :tongue:

4. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

With some modems, you can tweak your SNR but its a bit of a crapshoot as to actually getting more speed or simply more line disconnects.

FWIW, I get slightly more speed out of ADSL1 mode than ADSL2. Long copper FTF :upset:

5. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Thanks guys, guess we'll just see how it goes.

We're not even on the rollout map as of yet, so who knows what we'll get - FTTN, FTTdp, FTTP, or just nothing... Who knows!

At least we're back on less ridiculously restrictive DL-limits, so that's something....

M

6. stevenx

stevenx Member

See if Uniti Wireless cover your part of the world. They're Adelaide based but have growing Melbourne presence.

7. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Have a look at the 3-year NBN rollout schedule announced late last year. It's not on their rollout map, but most Melbourne suburbs are listed.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/three-year-construction-plan.html

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

I've been blessed with ADSL1 for many years now (had ADSL2 prior, and access to some very awesome links at work).

You get used to it. I'm not a big content consumer (so no netflix) or gamer.

Still streams youtube fine, even in HD.

Any large downloads I just schedule for overnight - or do it at work.

The biggest/worst thing is the crappy upload speed. Makes uploading things near impossible - I'm not going to be a youtube star any time soon.

9. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

See my partner and I are quite big media consumers, although we watch things together so only one stream. Sad we won't really have the option otherwise, but oh well.

M

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

adsl, but you never said how fast of adsl and your sync margin. you ahve 25-30% gains with the right snr tweaking.

11. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

I thought there was only ever one speed for ADSL1? 8mb/s or was it 9?

No idea on sync as we're not in the house yet, hence the "I suppose we'll see how we go".

Cheers

M

12. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

you might only be getting 1.5mbit...

13. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Oh, no it's 8-ish one.

Apparently it's only the sub-box thing that services my street or area. The rest of the area can get ADSL2+, but this one never got upgraded for some reason.

This is going off what the Telstra guy said - so who knows the validity of any of that.

M

14. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

15. Luke212

Luke212 Member

ADSL 1 can be amazingly fast. 8mbs is more than most people get on adsl2+

If you get less than 8mbs then you would be no better off in adsl2+ anyway.

If you are uming and aring vs 4G then your usage is not that great anyway so it should be fine.

16. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Yes, but whether I get the 8mbs is another thing - I haven't actually had the opportunity to test the speeds of it. We don't seem to be that far from the exchange, so who knows what we would be on on ADSL2+.

Our usage is quite large - we frequently get right up to our data cap while being incredibly, incredibly careful. This means no Steam DLs and picking and choosing what Netflix series' we binge over the month.

It's only because we've had no other option than 4G until now that we were on it.

-edit- Also the speeds have actually been really, really impressive but it just means we burn through our cap quicker really.

Cheers

M

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  17. Luke212

Luke212 Member

right up to your 4G cap does not mean much. that would surely be 'light' use. unless your 4G plans are 50gb, but i havent heard of such plans.

18. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

50gb cap on Vodaphone.

I think nearly all the telcos have 50gb caps now - we started on 25gb and blew that quickly and got the 50gb as soon as it became available but like I said; no Steam, careful Netflix-ing etc etc.

M

19. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Mate, scroll down through the list and find your suburb - don't enter your address into the search.

There are over 300 vic suburbs listed with an ETA and type of connection - i'd be amazed if yours wasn't on there.

20. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Prepare to be amazed.

Only gets referenced in the "Areas where construction scheduled to commence before end Sep 2018" column, which could mean literally anything or nothing.

Also FTTN, but hopefully by 2018 that's been revised to at least FTTdp. But still, looks like a solid wait on ADSL1 speeds.

M