So I can only get ADSL1

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MikeCheck, Apr 9, 2016.

1. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

I live less than 4kms from the CBD of Melbourne and I can't even get ADSL1 because of the RIM I'm on so yeah, count yourself lucky.

2. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

It just begets belief that in a supposedly developed country, this many people have either JUST ADSL1, or not even that.

The whole "that's plenty to get by on" smacks of the kind of thinking that caused the NBN to turn in to what it is now, or whatever it will be by the time it actually get's around to getting rolled out.

But it's ok because 640kb ought to be enough for anyone, right?

M

3. caspian

caspian Member

we have never wanted to pay for it to be otherwise.

in general, we still don't, as exemplified by your attitude.

"plenty to get by on" generally means someone else is paying a lot of the cost of what you want to access, and they're not interested in subsidising beyond your acceptable minimum functionality out of their own pocket. if you had to pay the full economic cost you'd be using quill pens and parchment.

if your only riposte is a snide reply, then you're simply reinforcing the already adequately displayed point that you're an overentitled brat, and that the main achievement of the internet has been to allow people to have no idea what they are talking about to broadcast their ignorance to a far wider spectrum of disillusioned potential listeners than was the case a few decades ago when you actually had to have an opinion worth listening to to spread your ignorance beyond range of local earshot.

luckily, real world decisions get made for people like you, based on a lot more then simplistic preconceived notions, sloganistic mantra derived from reading what other people repeated as opposed to troubling yourself to understand the issue and thus derive a point of view worth listening to, and really vital considerations like how fast you can stream mindless entertainment into your home as a substitute for thinking.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Options are available for people who are willing to pay for them. You are not, and you have comparatively a lot more than a people who pay the same amount get, so is it surprising when no one cares about your complaining? There's really nothing you can do about it apart from getting all keyboard-warrior-ey or pay orders of magniture more for a better service with an SLA. Snarky remarks and impotent rage don't improve your ADSL.

Stick around, you might figure out who's who in the zoo one day.

5. noober69

noober69 Member

People seem to have this rage about not getting a fast connection for free right now!

In the beginning, before the NBN, there was competition, and more ISP's were breaking down the Telstra monopoly, adsl2+ hardware was being installed in Telstra exchanges, and things were improving.

Then came the NBN where competition was removed, so all independent development pretty much stopped whilst a new monopoly was formed that was going to take us into the 21st century. It should have been obvious that this was going to take decades and cost huge amounts. It was improperly funded and poorly implemented at the start, which is completely expected for a project of this scale, and as it was a monopoly created for a "vision" there was little alternative. We have lived through the worst of it.

It is now rolling out and issues like slow adsl speeds and RIMs will be removed. But maybe not this year for everyone. For me it will be about mid next year before fixed wireless maybe comes to my address.

In the meantime over 7 years I have spent way over the odds staying with Telstra as my phone carrier as they will fix my line fast when I complain as a customer. I have had the pit repaired and the whole cable from the street to my house replaced (80m of copper). I also have had multiple call outs, paying for some of them when the issue was identified as mine. I also bought proper filters and a specific modem (Broadcom) which synced faster and held on longer with bad signals, which I get. I went from 3Mb/s flakey to 7+Mb/s solid. This took 10's of hours troubleshooting as well as cost.

I could have just gone for a cheap naked line and complained about the injustices of the world, how I could not get fast free connection (free as in education, i.e. someone lese pays).

As far as I am concerned people can do one of 3 things:
    1. pay more for the fast connection you need
    2. pay to investigate the issue properly and explore the possibilities
    3. wait for the "free" stuff that is coming.
    As a taxpayer, complaining about "why hasn't someone else paid for my fast connection yet" doesn't evoke a lot of sympathy from me.

6. caspian

caspian Member

nah, they've had it for years. look back on all of the complaining on whirlpool about why an ADSL2+ connection syncs lower than an irrelevant average.

people learn to complain a lot faster then they learn acceptance, because it takes no understanding or particular effort to whine.

the other factor is that people vastly undervalue what their telecommunications services are worth to them. they complain about their $29.95 Dodo connection going down like I would about internal organ failure, but are blind to the linkage between price paid and service enjoyed.

they also demonstrate a lack of basic economics. they expect access to the latest and greatest network hardware as soon as it's available anywhere in the world, but ignore the fact that at the prices they want to pay for it, it takes 10 years to pay for the hardware. in the meantime, something else comes out 2 years later and there's a bunch of smarmy comments on whinepool from people about "outdated networks" and "underinvestment" when those same people think a $600 video card is a major outlay.

assuming the Scott Morrison is right (protip: he's not even close) about the average income, a colleague of mine spent three times someone's lifetime income on spare parts the other day. and that's assuming they worked from 15 to 65 and earned that $80k every day of their life. that's what telco costs, so if anyone thinks that going from the $45 to a $55 plan a month is a significant cost, they are dreaming.

7. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I feel your pain. I just moved to a new house and went from 1.5-1.8mb per second to 250kb/sec. Absolute rubbish...and no sign of nbn in my area at all. Couldnt even get a show on demand with my iq2 last night...

8. scips

scips Member

Dont any of you even check the nearest exchange location before moving house? (or even what tech is available)

9. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Got a free 2 story house off my parents who would give that up for faster internetz? Anyway what are my options? This is bullshit. I understand why people in Australia complain about our internet now.

10. fabricator

fabricator Member

LOL you can't check. Seriously it's a sick joke :sick:

People have moved into a street with HFC cabling, only to find out they refuse to install to that ONE house as the cable would be too long.
    In the OPs case he's on a RIM with ADSL1 only, but others nearby have ADSL2+ over different equipment.

It's virtually impossible to get a 100% yes/no answer from anything involving Telstra. The sales people can sell it, the tech people can't do the work, and the management won't pay for the repairs/upgrades.

11. havabeer

havabeer Member

so all the money your saving by not having to pay a mortgage you could spend on a decent wireless broadband?

12. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Lost it at this:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahaa.

Because that's exactly how progress happens - people just accept whatever shit they're given and don't campaign for change ever because politics will actively do things to benefit the people/the country.

How silly of me for 'whinging' and starting a thread asking for options to help my existing connection only.

It's almost like someone butted in with their own sanctimonious "be happy with what you get, there are plenty of people who have to use paper cups and string still!!!" opinion...

Anyway whatever, thread can close because any options to be had have been mentioned.

M

13. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Recommend a good wireless mob for me then..

14. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

You could drop bigair a line. Prolly get a decent 20Mbps service for a couple grand/month.

15. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I understand now why people complain about how bad our internet infrastructure is. This is unbelievable. The worst part is NBN planning in my area starts in 3-4 years time...:thumbdn:

16. aza2001

aza2001 Member

I moved into a new estate about 5 years ago, had ADSL2+ syning ~20mbit... as more and more houses in the area got built I eventually found speeds drop to ~5mbit, changed isps was good for a month then drop again, did this about 6 times, then I found out 1.5 streets away (not the house behind us, across the road had fibre (opticomm), I went door to door, and finally found someone that would let me setup a PTP wireless link with some microtik access points.

Had that running for 2.5years and only a month ago he moved out where I had to take down the equipment, I went the other day to chat to the new people that moved in, and they wern't intrested in even knowing me (even though I offered to pay $50 to rent the port - alot of money but it saves me alot of time driving to and from work when I need to upload something urgently)

at the moment I am syncing ~18mbit, but speeds of ~5mbit all day (apparently our Tophat exchange is congested latest news from the ADSL provider) so I have bucklies in even getting any better speeds for a while, and we are 2years out from NBN being rolled out (Stupid as the estate isn't that old at all)

Anyways I'm in the process of going door to door again, to find someone that is willing to give it a go.

Best thing about NBN/ opticomm is that you can have upto for ISP's on 1 NTU/NTD/ONT without affecting eachother, and getting the bill sent elsewhere

17. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

You should know that what you're doing is illegal, and posting about it on a public forum probably isn't the best idea/thing to proudly advertise.

18. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

How so? If he is paying for it under a separate port

19. BBITS

BBITS Member

SkyMesh dude

20. aza2001

aza2001 Member

how is it illegal? I pay for the port I use, not sharing the interface, and the gear is sold in Australia, with no carrier license required (including the emails I have received from the supplier - if I used different gear, and a different band to what i am using then yes I would require a carrier license) - worst case is I know of a wireless carrier that can provide the carriage service/ license if I am told otherwise, I am not particularly fussed, on top of this, as I am not paying them for using their internet service (they are not reselling me the service) I am just paying them for the port, I pay for my own service.

I know of at least 5 other house holds in the area that are doing something similar, though I do not have LOS to the endpoint premises, otherwise I would have already spoken to them.

Can you clarify what which part is illegal?

Last edited: May 5, 2016