So I just built a home coffee roaster...

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by doug81, Sep 23, 2009.

1. doug81

doug81 Member

...and I thought I would share :D

I can't take credit for the idea, it's from Koffee Kosmo on the coffesnobs website here

Anyway, it uses a pasta pot set from K-mart, a Turbo Oven (similar to the one Mr T sells, but Tiffany branded), a small motor and a small table. Plus a bunch of other bits and pieces.

You drill a hole in the pots and the table to slot a socket extension arm through, and then attach to a motor to turn it. this is the underside...

Click to view full size!

I fashioned an agitator arm out of strip aluminium, a coat hanger and a socket.

Click to view full size!

it works pretty well. This is it in operation with 625gm of green coffee beans.

And putting it altogether (with a fire blanket for insulation) looks like this:

Click to view full size!

This is my second roast (the first batch was just terrible! Steep learning curve...)

Click to view full size!

2. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

that's pretty sweeet

3. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

When you say the first was terrible, were the beans burnt, or not fully roasted, or something else?

Also, where do you buy the green beans?

4. OP
    OP
    doug81

doug81 Member

I didn't roast the first one long enough, so I had to roast them a second time which is a bit of a no-no, and there were some burnt beans too. It was still drinkable, but not all that pleasant. Will be trying this roast tomorrow, but the flavour should be at its best between 2 and 10 days post-roast. I get my green beans from the coffee snobs site (just got 10kg today), and also from a local place (The Coffee Barun).

5. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

I take my hat off to your coffee-loving antics! :D

6. OP
    OP
    doug81

doug81 Member

Just thought I'd post a pic of my latest roast. It's a decaf, and it turned out pretty well. Tastes nice too, which is always good...

[​IMG]

7. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

nice work there doug81. I love home builds and this one looks like a ripper.

8. Kitler

Kitler Member

That would be such a great smell throughout the house. Looks fantastic. :thumbup:

9. scon

scon Member

Would love to have that thing set with a timer and a handful of beans so I could wake up to that smell first thing in the morning!

10. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

That's what I was thinking, not a massive coffee drinker, but I love the smell of roasted beans.

11. mauricem

mauricem Member

Coffee roasters produce TONS of smoke and should be used outside whenever possible

Coffee beans need time to "rest" after roasting, they definitely improve and smooth out after a day or so.

Whichever way you do it though home roasting is great and about 1/3 the price of buying roasted coffee.

12. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

I used to live in Newcastle NSW, much of Newcastle is frost free and we had coffee trees that produced decent quantities of good sized beans.

They are attractive trees too. I used to eat the fruit sometimes and spit the seeds (beans) out, they aren't much chop until they are roasted. Plant a tree and roast your own :)

Nice roaster too. We used to use oven trays at first and, later, an air based popcorn machine. The popcorn machine was a bit too hot for the job but made a good dark roast in short order.

I also remember reading you had to be careful not to burn out the popcorn machine or start a fire :Paranoid:

13. OP
    OP
    doug81

doug81 Member

roasting coffee smells good, but quite different to roasted coffee. If you want the roasted coffee smell in the morning you'd want a grinder on a timer with some ethiopian beans in it (best aroma of any coffee I've tried)

popcorn machines work well. does about 100gm in 5 minutes, just put a soup can on top as a chimney :thumbup:

One day I will grow coffee and soy beans, and process them to make a soy latte from scratch :leet:

14. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

Great work doug. I've seen this on the CS website for ages and just haven't had the time to make one. Plus the agitator confuses me a bit.

You should buy your beans from me :lol: I have a few ranges that I keep at home, although I'm getting a little low these days..

El Salvador Finca is a great bean.. Roasts really well and tastes great :thumbup:

15. antipody

antipody Member

Double roasting is fine. I run a coffee roasting company and we double roast all our blends. That's what gives them the best crema. :thumbup:

16. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

Where abouts?

17. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Now that is hardcore LOL. I planted tomatoes, capsicums and garlic today (plus snow peas, spinach basil and parsley). All going well I will be able to make salsa from scratch soon :)

Interesting tip about the 'chimney' setup on a popcorn machine - does it help to keep the heat more even or something?

18. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

Depending on the amount that you can fit and evenly roast, it helps when the beans are being tossed around that they don't fall out of the top! I've found that when I put 100g in, I need to tilt the roaster back so that the beans are properly and evenly roasted - but some of them still manage to bounce out of the opening at the front

19. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Thanks JohnnoD, I will give it a go next time. I know what you mean about the beans falling out :)

20. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

A mate does quite a bit of raosting, and he has a theory that once your beans are roasted (2nd crack), then should be cooled to room temperature ASAP. Do you do this to yours? What are the pros and cons?

He uses a large plastic bottle attached to a vacuum cleaner to agitate and move lots of air past the beans to cool them.