so i think i have everything i need

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by mibberz, Sep 22, 2021.

1. mibberz

mibberz Member

so i am updating my pc to water cooking (like most people on here)

so i think i have everything i need
    a new case
    3 radiators
    connectors for everything
    cpu cooler
    2 gfx coolers
    pump reservoir combo
    hose
    coolant
    thermal paste and pads
    time

as long as it is quieter than the current fans on the 3090

but is there anything I am missing?

2. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

Wow 3 radiators, What size are they?

3. woja

woja Member

You will never have enough or the right fittings as you go, or if you change your mind about how your loop runs haha
    In my case it was, man I need some more 90 degree rotary fittings, or I need a M-M or F-F fitting, or I want to try these QDC to make loop maintenance easier (which it did)

juzz86 likes this.
  4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Truth. Never enough fittings, never the right type, should've bought the nickel ones, this was a terrible idea, etc. :p :thumbup:

Can't see anything obvious missing - assuming one CPU and two GPUs, all the blocks are there, should be enough radiator if they're not all 120s. If you've got a pair of 3090s and are hoping for quieter on a loop you might need to adjust expectations on coolant temperature - with a decent CPU you're approaching 900W of heat load in there at full tilt (more if you've an unlocked Intel CPU, probably) and you'll need your fans working a bit harder to dump that and see the lower coolant temps you'll search up in this forum.

Keen to see how it goes, make sure you report back and stop in for advice if you need it :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

360front 240top and 120bottom

6. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

do you need much in the way of 45 and 90 deg connectors with soft tube?

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Not really - as long as you've got the height above the fittings for the bend radius. More radius needed for larger diameter tube.

8. The Beast

The Beast Member

I'm gonna stop you right there... :lol:

Fans?

Patience. More time. More patience.

Some things to think about:
    • Fill port location - Usually the top of the res, but ideally at the very top of the system (not always possible).
    • Fill tube or bottle. You can ghetto it with a kitchen funnel, I still do on occasion, but a dedicated fill bottle is a pretty good cheap investment.
    • Drain port location - This is more important than people think, you will need to drain the system eventually and the laws of physics can make your life easy or very hard depending on drain location and loop design. Also having a spot at the top of your loop that you can crack open to allow air in helps a lot as you start to drain.
    • Drain ports - These new ones from EK are expensive but by far the best I've ever used.
    • Vibration dampening for the pump mount - Often when you remove all the other noise in the system this becomes the loudest thing but it can be effectively reduced if it's not allowed to vibrate through the entire case or into your desk.
    • Coolant - I love adding EK dyes to distilled water, or even using the EK premixed stuff. In my experience it's quite important not to use plain distilled with nickle plated gear - it does tend to corrode over time, whereas the additives (like the EK stuff) stabilise that as well as preventing any biological growth.
    • Tubing - not all created equal. The cheaper stuff often has plasticiser that leaches into the coolant and makes everything cloudy. Important to research that. I'm now a huge fan of rigid tubing, partially because of how stable it is.
    • Leak testing - I got an EK Leak Tester (air pump with a pressure gauge) 2nd hand here on OCAU as a through in on some other parts and it's turned out to be one of my most valuable tools. Two examples recently:
    • When building the red loop of my Double Overkill build I thought I had double-checked everything after draining and swapping a few tube runs and didn't use the leak tester - turns out one of the 90s on my CPU block was only loosely snugged against the block, so as I started filling it started leaking and dripped down over my GPU and PCI slot! Thankfully it was before I ran the pump, so no issue - but this absolutely would have been detected with the leak tester.
    • When I build the green loop of the DO build I did use the leak tester and immediately realised (when the gauge wouldn't rise) that I had missed one of the port plugs on the back of the Resonance reservoir.
    This photo shows drain port location, leak testing, and patience device (also my amateur latte art).

[​IMG]

That's true, although most people would agree 120mm or 140mm fans at 100% is still usually a "nicer" sound than GPU fans at 100%, especially for 2x 3090s.

mibberz, juzz86 and woja like this.
  9. woja

woja Member

Oh it's nice to have a temperature sensor if your motherboard supports it or if you have fan controller/aquacomputer that supports it.
    It's great to run your radiator fans based on coolant temp rather than CPU temperature rather have them ramping up and down all the time.

mibberz, The Beast and juzz86 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

juzz86 and woja like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

I need to take out a fan so I can fit it all in and order a slimmer fan

12. juzz86

juzz86 Member

She's tight! :D :thumbup:

Looks lovely though. Coming together nicely. Any room for fans in front of that bracket at the front of the case? Push/pull not necessary there, I'd definitely have them pushing from the other side if there's room. Saves you a complete teardown and another set of fans.

Get The Beast over, need one of those fancy coffees :p :thumbup:

Roger that, 100%. The fans likely won't even need to ramp up to much - just more than if there was a boatload more exchanger surface area. I'm sure you know this, no condescension meant here at all :thumbup:

13. icewind

icewind Member

Am I bit too old school in saying that's a lot of negative air pressure?

14. The Beast

The Beast Member

15. 151528

151528 Member

16. The Beast

The Beast Member

Thanks.

mibberz Nice look, black white contrast builds always look eye pleasing and you can add whatever colour splash you want with water dyes.

Gotta point out, looks like you cross-threaded one of the fan screws into the rad (top left screw in the pic).

17. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

100% this. The 3x 120mm fans I'm running now are much quieter / less irritating at full speed (~2000rpm) compared to the GPU fans (3x 90mm at 3000+ rpm?)

It's worth paying attention to the fan specifications too, many fans aren't pressure optimised. For example, look at a few Noctua models:
    • NF-A14 PWM: 140x25mm| 1500 rpm | 140.2 m3/h airflow | 2.08 mmH2O pressure
    • NF-A12x25 PWM: 120x25mm | 2000 rpm | 102.1 m3/h airflow | 2.34 mmH2O pressure
    • NF-F12 PWM: 120x25mm | 1500 rpm | 93.4 m3/h airflow | 2.61 mmH2O pressure
    • NF-A12x15 PWM: 120x15mm | 1850 rpm | 94.2 m3/h airflow | 1.53 mmH2O pressure
    If you were only looking at the airflow, you might choose a different fan, but when needing to push/pull air through a restriction you'll want reasonable static pressure too.

Not saying any of these are right/wrong, just something to be aware of if you're not getting the expected performance or the fans need to spin faster to maintain temps.