So I want to get another Cat

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by lolpigs, Dec 7, 2013.

1. lolpigs

lolpigs Member

Hi Everyone

A few months ago we rescued a 7 month old kitten from the RSPCA Daisy. She is just adorable and I really would like to get her a cat for company.

I don't want however her to stop wanting our attention and soely bond with the other cat, does this happen with cats? I'm new to them, and it certainly happens with other animals.

Secondly is it best to get a younger cat say around 7-8 months, like her, and to get the same sex? (she is desexed so the new one will be too).

Do I need 2 litter trays etc? I am building an outdoor enclosure for them too accessible from the house via a cat flap as they will both be totally indoors

Thanks for the help

2. OP
    OP
    lolpigs

lolpigs Member

3. El Nermo Diablo

El Nermo Diablo Member

Well done for adopting a kitten, we've adopted three so far over years :thumbup:

We found generally introducing cats to each other there is always a little rivalry, as the old cat will see this new one as an imposter. Its generally a good idea to keep them a bit separated to begin with, then gradually introduce them.

Putting the new cat in a cage/carrier and place it in the older cats area, get a bit of an idea how they go.

I found its best to get them round the same age, especially young, they tend to bond quicker. Its harder to introduce a kitten to an old cat and vice versa. in saying that, at that age you shouldnt have a big drama introducing a slightly younger cat.

Two litter trays is best, though we have had both cats using the same without drama.

I built a similar enclosure outside for ours. They have a run down the entire side of the house 2 metres x 20 metres. I made a gate access and topped the fenceline with a cable/mesh combination to stop them jumping it. I also built a weatherproof cat house and ladder to access the window sill.

Thats where our cats stay at night, not out wandering around.

Pleasure!

4. Crusher

Crusher Member

I got my first cat as a 6 month old rescue, he was very attached to me to the point where I couldnt sleep for 2 months as he would sit outside the bedroom door meowing for attention.

I got another kitten, a 4 month old rescue, and after a week of grizzling and growling, they became best friends and he transferred a lot of that needines for companship onto her as they slept and played together.

Both cats have retained thier strong attachment to me and cat #1 still hangs around me when I am home, he is always on my desk sleeping as I work, or on my lap when I watch TV. But thankfully no more all night meowing.

5. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

From all my reading getting them similar age is a good idea. Not sure about sex. We got another male to go with our male, but I'm not sure about females.

As mentioned, the common advice is to introduce them gradually. There are big write ups of the steps you should take when introducing them. We just played it by ear and they were fully left alone together after a couple of weeks.

Some people that have trouble with cats not getting along even do a re-introduction over a few weeks. Seperating them, putting items with the other's smell with them. etc.

We use a single litter tray but it is a big one. It is made from the jumbo storage box from Ikea. We cut a little U out of one side for them to get in and out. Use a clumping litter so you can keep it clean each day.

Good luck

Any pics of the enclosure (another thread maybe)?

6. OP
    OP
    lolpigs

lolpigs Member

I'll put some up when I get it waiting on delivery :)

Thanks for the help guys off to the local rescue today they have a 10 month old female that looks perfect :)

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

How exciting, new pussycat :) Can't wait to see photos in the cat thread.

A lot of it just depends on the cats. They have personalities, preferences, foibles, etc, just like people do. Some cats are very finicky about sharing a litter tray, others couldn't care less, but 2 (or more) would be better. I have several cats, and you won't miss out on your "share" of cuddles unless your second cat is standoffish in the first place. Daisy won't go to new cat for cuddles. Cats know who supplies their dinners and that's who they suck up to.

8. OP
    OP
    lolpigs

lolpigs Member

Posted her, we ended up with a kitten, the 10month old although beautiful was very she and placid. We know already our other rescue Daisy was brought back to the rescue for beating up on a ragdoll, so we were concerned we would get her home and she would just beat her up. So sad she was beautiful :(

But we now have another black tortie Villan Callie, who has tiger stripes down her back running the house and so far so good, a fair but of hissing but I"ve been giving Daisy lots of cuddles, we have 2 litter trays and bowls etc, and things seem ok. I also got Feliway a diffuser with cat scent in it, they said it will reduce stress reactions and chill everyone out, and it worked. Daisy has even stopped scratching all our furniture.

They are both in our parents room with us now, Callie is asleep in the box at the bottom of the scratching post and Daisy at the top. Daisy has stopped chasing her for the most part and Callie stands up for herself and isn't pushed around, and no violence. So seems we did the right match.