so i'm an idiot and spilled water on my 3090

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by aeries, May 20, 2021.

1. aeries

aeries Member

hi friends

long story short i moved my pc, hit a speed bump and dislodged a pipe without checking

turned the pc on and lost a good 100mL of water onto my 3090 strix oc

its got the EK full cover block on it, mounted vertically and reverse atx so the block took most of the damage but pretty sure some water hit the pci-e slots

it's been a bit more than a day, I was planning to let the water just evaporate normally but i've been a bit naughty and checked the system whether it would work or not, the GPU has red lights on the pci-e connectors so I guess there's no power to the card

worth pulling it all out and wiping it down and hoping for the best? or throwing the gpu into some silica gel? or would it be a dead card (don't think it's this since there's some lights from the card at least...)

ShadowBurger likes this.
  2. power

power Member

clean, submit for warranty or insurance.

generally electronics + liquid = magic smoke escaping. If it wasn't dry when you turned it on say bye bye.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  3. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

under the impression that demin doesn't conduct electricity - shouldnt have any other minerals and didn't hear/see/smell any smoke

definitely the possibility of something shorting though

pics of random lights on the gpu if it helps:

https://ibb.co/M5rgQWw
    https://ibb.co/34DjW8t

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I would have stripped that card down and really made sure it was dry before testing it. It may be worth cleaning and drying it again to see if it will come back. It could be a tiny bit of corrosion or a short from fluid still being present that is the issue now, or something could have fried and it's done. Water can be very stubborn to evaporate off itself if it is trapped under a component.

My procedure from the last time I cleaned a board in my dishwasher:
    Remove as much water as possible with hair dryer on low (Don't let it sit in one spot too long or use it too close, the heat can dislodge components)
    *Can also use low low heat in the oven for an extended period for drying
    Go over any stubborn spots with isopropyl
    Use air to blow out any fluid that may be sitting under bgas or small components
    Leave for 72 hours and inspect before attempting to turn on

If that doesn't work then make sure it is void of any signs of water damage, stick the cooler back on and try your luck with warranty.

mAJORD, qwertylesh and aeries like this.
  5. havabeer

havabeer Member

Send for a priest

Really though you shouldnt have checked the power, as others have said you should have stripped it down, done every drying trick known to man on both the mobo and the GPU, then tried turning it on and you probably would have been fine.

Like most things, when they happen prematurely it never ends well.

6. power

power Member

demineralised water is LESS conductive, but still conductive.

7. Yehat

Yehat Member

@OP You could try reaching out to Myne_h who has some recent experience troubleshooting/fixing video cards.

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

or own up to your mistake, it's not a warranty problem.

no wonder warranties are getting harder and harder to get with people fucking up than asking for free replacements for their fuck ups.

im late, KriiV, Renza and 4 others like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

Fair point. Was too lazy to dismantle but I guess it's this or kill a 3k card

Is a hair dryer ok to go over the card? I'll also put more silica gel over it

Thanks for that, I'll shoot him a PM if it goes haywire

10. newynut

newynut Member

Put it in a bag of rice overnight then blow clean with cool air.

11. i_trin

i_trin Member

Should be able to dry it in the oven. Water is fine unless add electricity too. Could give it a good wash in dishwasher and then oven. But if you powered on when wet then not much chance of salvaging it. And this would t be warranty but insurance may cover it for accidental damage. Although you would have to check with your insurance.

12. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

20210520_170956.jpg 20210520_170940.jpg

Post surgery the found the water patch...assuming those are for power? Hence why the GPU wouldn't work...

Some small signs of rust but after a quick wipe it seems to look ok, but who am I kidding though

Whats the best way to go about drying up those small nifty areas and cleaning out the thermal pad gunk?

Odds of it working after a dry you guys reckon? :lol:

13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Metho will do in a pinch.

But you turned it on while it was wet. Not loving your chances.
    You're going to need a multimeter if the red lights stay on.

adr_an, aeries and juzz86 like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

So I've cleaned it up a little bit with the isopropyl, but the signs of rust are still clearly visible. Is it advisable to wipe it with a bit of vinegar? Or just leave it?

Thanks for the support guys btw, much appreciated

15. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Did you use a toothbrush?

It needs to be really clean. Rust shouldn't have happened after barely a few minutes.

I chuck cards in the dishwasher and they come out looking basically brand new - not corroded.

16. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

Using a toothbrush to attack it again, after some cotton tips. Can see the rust stains disappearing slowly. Perhaps it's not rust but some kind of discolouration?

17. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

the ite chip looks like it got wet, its not bga but water wouldnt dry up under and around that chip all that quickly. if there was liquid under there when you fired it up, chances are its fucked.

19. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Looks much better. Ideally you'll have a multimeter, but I'm guessing you don't.

Since it didn't catch fire last time, it probably won't this time.

20. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

ELI5 please :) actually curious to understand what all this stuff is... I'm just assuming it's some power regulator but im curious to know what it exactly is...

I dont, but I agree it doesn't look as doomed. Still trial of fire to go...thanks for your suggestion tho, feeling slightly better about my odds now