So it begins.... Canon 1Dx mk2

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by aokman, Feb 1, 2016.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yep i agree, seems conservative - the question will be have they shot themselves in the foot with such a small upgrade of a high dollar body?

People will look at the cost of change and decide i guess.

2. Aus.Morgo

Aus.Morgo Member

The two different cards is rather annoying, their reasoning is lame that "people might have a large number of CF cards, so they can use both" people buying a 1dx2 can afford to buy a few new cards to benefit from the cameras full ability.

I'm still not sold on the Nikon AF system, keen to see some real world tests there.

The 1Dx was a big leap forward so not surprised really the 1dx2 is a bit less.
    Kind of like the 1D4 from the 1d3.

3. Aus.Morgo

Aus.Morgo Member

4. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Just watched the B&H interview with Canon so..... 4K is cropped heavily... useless lol and apparently 1 stop better low light....

Its just not blowing my skirt up to be honest. Selling my 1Dx ill be in the hole probably 5k for the new one. That buys me an extra camera body lol.

The new shutter does sounds bananas at 14fps but honestly even the 1Dx is off its face and I have to tone it down most of the time. I can't think of a single situation where 14fps would be needed.

Biggest thing that pisses me off is they kept the AA filter.

The 1Dx certainly was a game changer when it came out, I lusted over it. I wanted this new one to be the same, something that I would throw my wallet at my monitor in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  5. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I was expecting 30mp, 150 AF points, sony style dynamic range, 12fps..

I just don't understand how this is canon's best?

6. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Mind blowingly expensive right? :thumbup:

7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Its not, but its not a surprise at all. Their competitors have made massive movements that have caught them off guard. They may retain a market share but they are steadily going to lose it in the long term and I think they were caught mid cycle and are working towards how they can shift it around.

There is always cycles of who's on top.. its just been a lot more apparently in this case.

8. Zee

Zee Member

Every time I see a new Canon offering, I am more glad to have jumped ship to Olympus. It's like they keep tweaking the tech they have had for the last 10 years...

Z...

9. synic

synic Member

Very interesting.

New 20MP sensor. Seems good but I don't understand why the NEW 5D xx has a 50MP sensor. Seems to me that it is a step down but ...

... it seems to me that the 5D SR (whatever it is) https://youtu.be/j3jeYTCmVrE?t=1 is better? I don't get it. That new sensor would want to be good.

Nice bells and whistles though (on the 1Dx mk2).

10. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Whats so difficult to understand? The 5Ds sensor is based on Canon's crop sensor tech and not fit for a pro body. Its performance is utter crap to be honest. You cant have 14FPS and and 50MP. 20MP is fine for what it does and I'm happy with that but I wanted to see the AA filter gone and maybe 2 stops low light improvement at least.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  11. sejanus

sejanus Member

The different card slots is ludicrous.

12. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

But those 99% of users look at the flagship camera as to what to expect will filter down to lower end cameras in the next few iterations though. So if the flagship is very unexciting and minor incremental changes, doesn't leave much hope for anything meaningful trickling down to lower-end bodies.

To me, Canon is asleep at the wheel. Just doing the bare minimum to keep things ticking over, whether this is because they've become complacent or have something awesome up their sleeve only time will tell. Nikon is doing a bit more than Canon, but still nothing I count as all that exciting.

IMHO, only Fujifilm and Sony are doing interesting things at the moment. Sony is obviously pushing the bounds more than anyone currently, and Fujifilm is taking a different approach to things.. especially with their after release service - releasing firmware releases with significant changes and improvements even for bodies that have been superceded is excellent customer service.

13. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

14. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

YOu might want to hang onto your DX1 :)

15. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yeah think i will and use the upgrade money for a a7r II or A7s II monster.

16. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I just see no value whatsoever in going from a DX1 to a DX2. You're certainly not getting 100% performance increase for a $5000 upgrade..

And having looked at those sample shots.. what. the. f$*k.

17. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

18. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yup the coverage is pathetic lol, especially for a sports camera. Nikon are going to steamroll the 1Dx mk2 with the D5...

No AA filter
    -4ev on ALL AF points not just the middle
    153 AF points with a large coverage area
    Choice of card format when buying camera
    Crazy low light performance

Think its time for me to get an A7s II :D

19. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

I'd hate to be Canon or Nikon right now.

In a shrinking market which is being chewed up by smartphones, it's very hard to justify serious investment. And it's even harder to go all out in mirrorless because that would cannibalise their DSLR sales, which is their money maker they've been investing in for decades.

Never mind that if they go for it, it would give mirrorless the credibility it currently lacks because it doesnt have Canon or Nikon written on it. And they are already behind the ball, and the clock is ticking, soon mirrorless will not even need Canon's brandname to take off.

They're really stuck.

20. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Expanded Iso (L) mode is unlocks 50 ISO on 5D3, does it not?

Might be JPG only from memory, it's been a year since I've had it in my hand.

Back on the 1Dx, what a disappointment.