So it looks like I may have been scammed on eBay

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Mr DOHC, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

I purchased a 1DS on eBay, pretty much since I made payment thru paypal he hasn't replied to any of my messages.
    I keep asking him for the tracking number (which he initially said it'd have) but I get no replies.

Sure there's every chance the item could turn up, but eBay have said that he has seen the messages and not replied (they can tell that apparently). But I have a bad feeling I am going to get shafted.

eBay said I can file a proper complaint on Tuesday, so I'll have to wait a while until I get my cash back :(

I have sold my current camera already so if I get the call for a shoot I'm pretty much fucked. :(

2. power

power Member

eBay refunds process is fairly good and favours the buyer.

being that you have a business might just have to go put a camera on the CC and chalk it up to experience.

3. MickybD

MickybD Member

Did you fund the paypal purchase with your credit card? If you did, you will probably get a quicker refund by challenging the transaction with your bank than by dealing with Paypal. The bank then takes over the issue with Paypal and you don't need to deal with them.

(Apologies for the delay with those 1DS II pics - I haven't yet and won't be getting a night home this week... Will try to get onto it ASAP for you.)

4. esjay

esjay Member

Luckily for you Paypal usually sides with the buyer, it is up to the seller to provide proof of delivery so you should get your money back at some stage.

5. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

If paid via CCard easier to lodge an charge back. Paypal went in the sellers favor when I got scammed and they sent me a piece of chipboard via tracking so when I signed for it. The seller puts item with the tracking ID in the PP Case. Ended up with my bank fronting me in the fight against PP.

6. OP
    OP
    Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

Thanks mate. Just pm me some details and a price first and send pics when you can.

And for this exact reason, when and if it does arrive I'll be filming the unboxing etc.

Apparently PayPal loses their shit if you do a chargeback against them and they can close your account.

7. kooliez

kooliez Member

This sucks..

I was on the other end of this EXACT same thing two weeks back.. I was selling a 1Ds Mk2 to a buyer in melbourne. I had it couriered to the buyer free of charge (made the stupid mistake of not insuring it, trying to save some money)

A week later I get the call.. "Package hasn't arrived, tracking not showing up on couriers website or when you call them.. I want my money back.."

The courier advised to give it a week to see if it would show up, and the buyer was going off his tree at that stage thinking I'd shafted him... Claiming that I owed him the full amount back because it was totally unfair.. By rights, ethics tells you that yes, he probably did deserve a refund, but after being threatened with legal action before the courier had actually said "ITS GONE - FORGET ABOUT IT" I thought "F this guy..." and told him why on earth should I be liable for a total loss when I did everything I said I would do. I packaged it safely, I couriered it (his choice of courier) to his door, and had the tracking slip, receipt for shipping and the signature saying it had been picked up from my house.. I told him IF the item had actually gone missing and that was the final word from the courier I would split the difference with him.. refund half the money.. I figured I was just as out of pocket as him.. its only fair.

two days pass, not a word from the buyer. I called the courier (as I had said to the buyer I would) and they politely told me the package had been delivered at 5:35pm the very same afternoon that all this had gone down over the phone..

I called the buyer (bit sneaky I know, but hey... gotta see what would happen) and told him that they had said they were still looking into it and would get back to me with an answer by days end. He replied saying "Im still holding you completely liable if it does not arrive, and have already sought legal advice... I promptly emailed him the proof of delivery slip the courier had emailed me.. Called him a liar, asked why he hadnt told me 2 days earlier that it had arrived, told him to enjoy his camera and deleted his phone number... Safe to say I never heard from him again...

8. OP
    OP
    Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

Thieving little fuck.

9. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

And people wonder why i insist on local pickup only for high dollar purchases

10. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

It didnt use to be like this. Before eBay we had yahoo auctions and I freely post things without thought the other person were totally scum bags on their word that they transferred the money already. But more and more these days the ethics ..or lack of seem to be ruining the whole trade scene. When I got the chipboard I was like WTFudge...

11. buddhamus

buddhamus Member

Fucking prick!....not someone on this forum, is it? lol

12. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Bloody hope not.

Registered and insured at the least, bugger the price. Dealing with dodgey buggers is what you have to accept if selling online, at least you have an address to visit if things go awry.

13. aL4n

aL4n Member

I had the exact same problem few years ago, ended up making me banned from using paypal. fuking scammers.

14. OP
    OP
    Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

Exactly how? Why would you get banned?

15. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

You get banned because you have a negative balance on your PP account for too long. When you refuse to pay it the systems forwards that amount to a debt collection company and they send you a Letter of demand for that amount. Your account will be suspended after that :mad:

16. kooliez

kooliez Member

No my experience was not an OCAU member - I've never had a problem on here.. .I should have known better than to think something could go down over gumtree that would be legitimate...

17. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

no not always, ebay can be assholes to deal with, just like many of the scamming sellers in there, and i mean no disrespect to the OP here, but i cannot understand why anyone buys anything like camera's, laptops or any electronics gear from ebay, especially when you often read stories like this.

i know several people who bought stuff from ebay that was faulty when it arrived, the buyer complained about it, and nothing was done because it was the sellers word against the buyers word, the buyer said the goods were fine, so that was the end of it.

based on this sort of complaint, i would never trust anyone in ebay ever again.

as for gumtree, its owned by ebay, little wonder its reputation and scamming levels have gone up sinse they bought it from the original owner, back then it was a great place to buy and sell.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  18. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Because ebay is not a shop, it's a market, and just like every market it has everything from scam artists to the worlds most reliable sellers like b&h and adorama. You just gotta do your homework.

19. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

Playing Devils Advocate here. Having been on the receiving end of a seller claiming damaged good when there was nothing wrong with the product when shipped. Funny how every sale I have had go faultless and the 1 item i ship interstate ends with a problem

20. OP
    OP
    Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

I got his phone number. It was an old lady on the answering machine, god I hope it's not some little fuck kid who has ripped me and now granny has to pay it back.