So it looks like I may have been scammed on eBay

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Mr DOHC, Nov 21, 2013.

1. OP
    OP
    Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

I got in contact with the guy at the phone number last night, he was a bit sketchy sounding. Then his wife called back.......
    What a ****, she got very abusive and swearing saying they never heard of a Brad Abcd. :Paranoid:

So I did some more research, I tracked the phone number thru the net and found the address is registered to a B.R Abcd. Hmm but the address is 3 hours away from what was registered on eBay.

I have spoken to Paypal and have escalated to the highest level. So they will contact them thru email (which has been closed) and phone (gold luck:lol:) and if they don't respond in 10 days I get a refund.

Paypal said if the person has taken the money out of the PayPal, that PayPal will take it from their bank account, if not that then PayPal will give me the money and send debt collectors after them. Lol :D

Hope it was worth the $740 wanker.

2. WoobiE

WoobiE Member

Winning, I had a bloke try to scam me once, did the same as you and did a bit of research to find his address.. sent a mate around there to take a photo of his front door and I emailed it to him.. next thing my package had been sent with a legit tracking number :)

Nice one mate, may not get the camera but at least you got the money sorted.

3. jars121

jars121 Member

That is some quality internet investigating there :thumbup:

4. power

power Member

I had to track someone down from here once, needless to say he ended up refunding me - it was very disappointing to say the least.

I've had to do one ebay chargeback due to non-delivery of goods, paypal hit his account that failed and then they tried again. I was surprised how helpful they were.

5. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

The OCAU 'tog community is the only online community I trust for photography trades. I've had excellent experiences here, buying and selling lenses and bodies from several people. I'm pretty sure I've used gear which has already passed through the hands of at least two members here, and I've sold gear to members from whom I've purchased in the past. :)

This community benefits from a high level of trust due to its small size and the integrity of its members; you couldn't get away with a bad deal here, you'd be totally incinerated.

Any deals I make here in Taiwan are a face to face meeting, or it doesn't happen. The one exception was a member of the expat community here, who was sufficiently well known by friends of mine to be trusted for a postal deal.

6. Athiril

Athiril Member

I had a seller send me the item before I had paid for it, paid for it about 2 days after sent. Told him not to do that as its risky :p

Was a turbo manifold for a L28.

7. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

The good old days. I had a 70-200mm sent to me on trust from a gentleman in Orange. Never asked about the payment which I only transferred after my payday which was a week + 3 days after. That was about 5 years ago.

8. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

Hey guys.

Yesterday I posted on this thread comments which in hindsight seemed to condone scams. This was not the intention

As a victim of scams in the past I was trying to highlight how easy it is to be in a position to be scammed so posted a list of "hypothetical" ways this can be done.

Unfortunately this was taken the wrong way by one of the admins and I've been put into the penalty box

If been an active member here on OCAU for years, have had many great dealings with members on all the trade forums. My username is the same on here, MTAU and Ebay so i have nothing to hide.

Here is my MTUA seller/trader feedback

http://www.mactalk.com.au/38/40950-alessiman.html

I've always insisted on face to face purchases for large $$$ items and in the case of small purchases usually sent the item before money has cleared into my account

Anyway again my apologies to this group.

9. OP
    OP
    Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

So my money has been refunded. Not really sure what the guy expected to happen.

Now to go shopping again.

10. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

You left negative feedback I hope?

11. OP
    OP
    Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

Actually I haven't yet. I'll do that soon.