So this happened - disgruntled employee - deleting a bunch of users...

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by NSanity, May 20, 2013.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

So we wake up this morning to a disgruntled ex-employee who has decided to delete a third of all the AD objects on a client's server.

Was it accident? Well if you clear the logs 60-90 seconds after the objects were deleted - yeah well then no. Its a pity our remote access app logs you, your ip. Exchange logs you. AD RecycleBin also logs you.

Hope you figured out a new career path - because you'll never ever work in IT again. The Police will be involved shortly, i hope you enjoy being persecuted to the full extent of the law.

For those interested on how to restore... (Requires AD 2008R2 Functional Domain/Forest, ADRecycleBin turned on).

Find the deleted items – using Administrator-elevated AD Powershell (in the Adminstrative tools panel)

Get-ADObject -filter {isDeleted -eq "TRUE" -and ObjectClass -eq "user"} -IncludeDeletedObjects | | Format-Table -Property * -AutoSize | Out-String -Width 4096 | Out-File C:\deleted_items.txt

What we care about is the DN (DistinguishedName) of the objects... In our case whenChanged was only visible from LDP.exe

Now, to make Exchange happy - find your DC'd mailboxes.

Get-exchangeserver | Get-MailboxStatistics | where { $_.DisconnectDate -ne $null } | select DisplayName,DisconnectDate

We care about the DisplayName in this one

Now to restore it

Get-adobject –identity “DistinguishedName" -IncludeDeletedObjects | restore-adobject -newname "DisplayName"

(obviously you need to change DistinguishedName and DisplayName to the appropriate values)

You now have the object back in AD. Unfortunately tho, I think our current culpit pruned them from Exchange Management Console. Which will disable the account, then remove the mailbox (mark it for deletion).

So you will now need to;

1. Change the DisplayName in AD Users and Computers (remember, you need to use the EXACT DisplayName from Exchange, otherwise it will not find it).
    2. Add a “normal login” to go alongside the Pre-Windows 2000 login – for use I just used firstname, set the group to @contoso.local
    3. Re-enable the Account
    4. In the EMC (GUI is better because it finds the DC’d mailboxes, and will fill in the GUID of the mailbox) – list Disconnected Mailboxes from under Recipient Configuration, hit connect on the User, pick user mailbox, Find Existing (I think, it’s the definitely the first option), type in an Alias (use the samAccountname), hit Next, Then Finish.
    5. If there is mail flow options or AD groups (or basically any other settings) you will need to put them back – this includes the SBS login script. Not sure if it needs folders remapping – but the security should be fine as the User is the exact same as far as active directory is concerned.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

So you've had a fun start to the day :p Not sure how people think they can do this and not have it completely blow up in their faces...

Also, we like to think that people will be persecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but unfortunately they're only prosecuted :(

3. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Out of interest what is the likelihood of Police being interested, of conviction and if convicted what penalty?

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I guarantee you they'l be in a similar role within 6 months. I've seen it happen so many times, and it frustrates the hell out of me.

5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Something like 'unlawful use of, modification to or impairment of a computer system' I would imagine.

6. EMupp

EMupp Member

Damnit, I wanted to say that :p

7. whitewolfx

whitewolfx Member

Every time i hear about these kinds of things happening, it shocks me. It makes me wonder what those people consider "professional".

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Last century when I was programming I worked with a guy that was being sued for embezzlement, he had hacked a General Ledger code of a company and had dodgy $2 shelf companies invoicing the main company for years, was in the 100,000's.

So while all this was happening he was employed as a contractor to program financial systems else where, with full knowledge on what he had done previously... WTF!

9. EMupp

EMupp Member

Hah, look at you with your faith in humanity.

10. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Daymn what a pain..
    So the "ex" employee still had access to a Domain Admin login, post or pre his "ex"ness.. :confused:

Also, Which remote access app?

11. resr

resr Member

Do you think IT needs a professional association or institute? I'm aware of SAGE-Au and a few other ones around the traps, but IT would have nowhere near the take up of other professions. I did a bit of town planning at uni and the PIA was spruiked pretty heavily. I have vague memories of an institute being talked about when I was studying engineering too.

The number of 'tards in IT is demoralising at times.

12. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

He was in limbo. Made motions about leaving in a pretty clear way, but paperwork hadn't been sorted out. To the letter, he was still an employee.

Teamviewer.

Its all logged (session reports, ip, etc).

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Think yourself lucky that he was a badmin, rather than a proper disgruntled admin, who might have done some real damage to the system on his way out.

Thanks for the informative post on how to fix it as well.

14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

God, dude must have been high. Really, what a complete nong.

15. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Couldn't you guys also done an authoritative restore?

16. Karlston

Karlston Member

I thought persecution was against the law... :)

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I think it's still ok in tasmania. :lol:

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

19. vader

vader Member

Out here its a very small IT community.
    Word has travelled fast.

20. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Thanks for sharing the steps you took to rectify it :).
    Appreciate it.