[WINXP] So who still uses it? and why?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mistikal, Aug 20, 2015.

1. @kernelhack

@kernelhack Member

I'm a Linux user. I'm not trying to turn the thread into a Linux thread, so please don't flame me for this. But there has been a couple of comments of people using old(er) versions of Windows. Even Windows 2000! And you know what? I am somewhat involved in InfoSec and to read comments where people say, and I'm paraphrasing here, "it's ok to still use Windows 2000 because it was a good OS and no other fits my purpose", it seriously bothers me.

What a load of absolute crap!

First; it frightens me that people are so ignorant to think an insecure, unpatched and unmaintained OS like 2000 is just fine to connect to the internet. It's so wrong for so many reasons that I sincerely hope that you do get hacked and/or some kind of malware put onto your system without your knowledge. Because then I wouldn't have to sit here and explain to you why what you're doing is so irresponsible for both yourself and other connected users on the internet.

Second; if you can sit there and claim that no OS developed in the last 16 years suits your needs, then you have obviously been living under a rock inside a cave. There are so many GOOD Linux operating systems available. And they actually suit people like you (people that think W2k is still good).

My point is, if you're unhappy where Windows has reached in its lifecycle with W10, then start looking outside the realm of what you know and understand. LINUX IS NOT DIFFICULT!

/end rant

2. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

I was more looking at the appearence of explorer not using the OS itself :D

Like i said, i want to do a shell replacement :)

3. pezzy

pezzy Member

noob question. how do i change the taskbar program tab/button back to default? atm it looks like this.

edit: ah just figured out that it's part of the windows classic theme design. is there a work around?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Unlock the Taskbar, resize and lock it again.

5. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

With the unofficial SP4 (http://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133918#133918) XP is reasonably secure for someone who knows how to use a computer (not a novice), provided you're not a high priority hacking target (for some reason).

I still use it on my netbook because when it's stripped down to it's basics (using nlite, slipstreaming etc) it's faster than the alternatives. And it runs everything I want to run.

There's also less bullshit in the UI. Win7 was a step down in that regard, and Win10 exits the world of reasonable UI design in favour of idiocy. I'm very tired of MS and want nothing to do with them if I can avoid it.

I'm not saying XP's "play-doh and green fields' look was alright, I'm talking about the objective technical design of the UI, not it's aesthetics.

I use Win7 on my machines mainly, again stripped back using ntlite + rtlite, and it's OK - once you turn off a whole lot of bullshit.

I'd use Xubuntu but nothing I use runs on it and it has a crappy file manager. Also slower than XP.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. NSanity

NSanity Member

As usual this is a dumb idea.

Let it die or get it off the internet.

7. mareke

mareke Member

I tend to agree. I still use XP on an old computer to do things like scan documents with a HP scanner that has no drivers for windows 7 along with a few other things but I disconnected the computer from the internet a couple of years ago. Adobe Flash no longer works with XP creating problems viewing web pages and XP had reached the point where it was no longer worth persevering with except disconnected from the internet.

Out of XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 I like XP most followed by Windows 7 which was XP with a few things shuffled around to different places that weren't an improvement. Windows 10 is in last place for me. It's an abomination because Microsoft removed choice from users (e.g. what updates they wanted to install) and forced a ghastly looking interface on them.

8. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Nope. Works fine, no reason to do so, and as I mentioned, it's not a problem - if it was, I would. Go whine elsewhere.

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

So.

1. You don't know if its fine. It feels fine - hell it might even *be* fine in your circumstance - but that doesn't make it fine.

2. Telling others that its fine - when you have ABSOLUTELY ZERO proof that it is, and more to the point THE PEOPLE WHO WROTE THE DAMNED THING says its not, and the people who write security software for it says its not - is outright irresponsible.

3. What in the actual fuck downloading 3rd party packs from third party sources... PLEASE ROOTKIT ME HARDER K THX.

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

You mean the people who want you to be assimilated into the borg by using their latest incarnation over which you have no control? Yes, that's a trustworthy source. :lol:

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

I was unaware you had the source code, were auditing it and was considered a subject matter expect on the topic... my bad.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

The source of a statement intended to influence behaviour from somebody with a vested interest and desire to have you do something to their benefit is an unreliable source.

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

Except its supported by AV and Security Experts. Everywhere. And Microsoft is the source of code review, maintenance and patching - which they've stopped unless you're paying them what is likely a metric shitton of cash per seat at this point.

Seriously. Running XP on the Web is a dumb idea.

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

Behind a router?

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

NAT isn't enough with what the web has become of late...

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

and what's that?

17. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Ooo great reasoning there mate.
    Don't bother looking into any of that, just make stuff up why don't you... no, please go away. You're diminishing the point of this thread. Best of luck.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Modern malware is largely browser centric. A NAT, or even a firewall, isn't going to protect you from anything.

WindowsXP is built on the underlying foundation that you pretty much get ring0 access to everything. From a malware author's point of view, it's a playground of whimsical fun where anything is possible.

Folks may baulk at upgrading to newer OSes because they don't like the look and feel, or even just due to licensing reasons. But the fact remains that WindowsXP connected to the Internet is a grave danger ti any user, and should be avoided now that it's not actively patched by the proprietary software manufacturer.

You're so far off point, it's not funny. You're putting yourself and anyone you support or recommend this to at great risk.

Flat out: if you connect WindowsXP to the Internet in 2017, you're asking for trouble. Not a matter of "if", but "when".

Standalone, no Internet connection? Still kinda stupid (physical attacks are a thing), but less of a risk if it's doing something banal at home (i.e.: not some important industrial embedded system with public access).

You have plenty of options. There are dozens of more secure, fully supported operating systems out there than WindowsXP. Even as the world's biggest anti-Windows guy, I have to recommend to anyone who insists they need Windows to move to Windows10 quickly if they're still on XP.

If you're willing to try something different, head to the "Other Operating Systems" subforum, and there's a dozen people there (myself included) who will gladly donate their time to you to help you through a Linux transition.

But seriously, WindowsXP in 2017 is bad news. Don't do it. And if you do, don't be an idiot and argue about it. Accept that you're taking a risk, and wear it. But don't tell a bunch of people who know better and see the worst happen every day that you're playing it safe.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Such as? You have a browser, so the chinese just use it to install stuff on your computer? Or do you actually have to access a website?

Someone who thinks that giving access to a third party to be safe from "others" does not "know better", they just think they do. No longer seeing "the worst" happening is not because the users are "safe", it's because "the worst" is happening in the background. Giving some bloke from the shopping centre a key to your house to protect you from "burglars" is not security, it's pure idiocy.

20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Malware today is multi-faceted. It can be drive-by injections in ads, targeted emails (AGL and Australia Post scams recently), malicious websites, DNS hijacks and redirects, and many more. Most are a combination of all of the above.

What prevents them from working (outside of not clicking on bad things) is generally down to sandboxing applications so they cannot get access to important parts of your system. Windows XP DOES NOT DO THIS. Unlike other operating systems of the time that forced people to authenticate even on their own computers to do important things, Microsoft at the time deemed this "too hard" for their userbase, and as such gave them access to everything all the time by default. This very design concept is the biggest problem with XP, and has been something anyone from a security background (or honestly anyone who's ever used a UNIX based operating system) has long bitched about. For eons we said "one day, this will be bad, and you'll be sorry". Today is that day.

You can't fix XP's broken design. Worse, now you can't even patch it from actual active exploits, let alone plug the design holes themselves. XP simply is not Internet safe. Don't use it. I can't be any more blunt than that, and I'm 100% not interested in hearing the tales of woe when you get malwared to death by things that newer operating systems deal with easily by design.

I have zero idea what you're talking about here, and your analogies are lost on me.

My comment was aimed specifically at metamorphosis telling NSanity to sod off. NSanity does this shit for a living, and knows it backwards. Don't tell experts how to suck eggs.