So **** you Youtube?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by whatdoesthisdo, Jan 24, 2021.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Youtube can and does still put ads on videos that even have monetisation disabled, and if it's a small channel that isn't in the partner program they might as well have no control at all. Your preferences are a suggestion to them at best.

They also shouldn't be allowing the sea of yellow bars on a 10 minute video to happen, but they are. Mid-rolls need to just not be available unless the video is longer than 15 minutes *queue every video being 15m01s now*

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  2. Nerb

Nerb Member

They can only add ads if you have copyright material in your video.
    Yes, small channels not in the partner program can have ads.
    The maximum number of ads is a personal preference. Youtube want more. Ultimately the viewer will decide by either watching or not watching.
    If I see more than one midroll per half hour or so, I click off.

ipv6ready likes this.
  3. underskore

underskore Member

I'm on a ~$18 family deal that started with google music and now still includes all the youtube bells & whistles :leet:

th3_hawk and die_piggy like this.
  4. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Correct.... I think there are too many people blaming YT when it is the Channel Owner DEMANDING the ability to display more ads and YT alowwing it. (Note: YT doesnt mind :) )

Thank the lord, YT doesnt allow even more.

Imagine if YT allowed creators to display two five second intro every minute...... So soooooo many Creators would think they were being fair "just" allowing two five second intro every TWO minutes lol, plus a channel owner madated 30 second intro slot, 20 second mid roll than at 25%, 50% and at the end.

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I hear the transition from Google Play Music to Youtube Music was a big step down..

qwertylesh likes this.
  6. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

If I can avoid it I have no intention of ever paying Google money to use their services (excluding phone apps purchased through the Google Play store).

I do the following so my online experience with them provides them with as little usable information about me as possible:

- I always use YouTube anonymously (i.e. not logged in as I'm not that interested in stats, subscribing or creating playlists etc).
    - My Gmail accounts are accessed via an email client rather than logged in via the browser.
    - I use DuckDuckGo as my search engine.
    - pfBlocker/DNSBL is running on the firewall
    - UBlockOrigin is installed in any browsers (Brave) at home.

The last three block pretty much all trackers and (probably like hawpinghaxbag above) I haven't seen an ad on YT for many years.

7. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Advertisers and youtube like adblock as it steers ads towards people who are more likely to consume and click on them, its the channel owner who gets the short end of the stick

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

9. Sunder

Sunder Member

10. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  11. power

power Member

i mean, c'mon Chome + uBock Origin sorts YT out nicely.

anyway the OP seems to have sorted his issue with a good old F5ing.

12. Sunder

Sunder Member

Not on hardened devices like smart tvs. But yes, this is even easier on PCs.

13. caspian

caspian Member

a combination of Adblock, AutoPlayStopper, FB Purity and a pihole has now eliminated every single bit of advertising I have come across in my usage.

3Toed likes this.
  14. Franc

Franc Member

You cant escape them since content creators have been putting them in (Nord VPN and so forth) for ages. Youtube puts additional ones in as well, and you may be able to filter them out.

15. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

haha feciesbook is much the same,

i made a post about the indian scammer scum, and for 2 months later it kept recommending me all these f'ing indian slags

whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Hahaha yeah been there mate. What I find especially funny is when you watch something that is very specific and once you have watched it, you wouldn't want to watch it again.... but in storms YT algo and here's 4000 videos of the exact same thing.

It reminds me of this.

17. Sunder

Sunder Member

When our first child was born, my wife used my phone to search for baby stuff. Back then, there was no adblocker on Android, so for months, every app, game, web page was loading maternity and baby items. Apparently delivering an ad to a woman in her 30s is "worth" about 30-70c depending on what else Google knows about her. As soon as they know she's pregnant or a new mum, the click through cost is $7-8.

Says something about targeted advertising hitting people when they're vulnerable, hey?

18. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Yeah it was fucking fantastic when my wife had a miscarriage at 8 weeks to be spammed for the next 3 months with baby ad's.. stay classy google :thumbdn:

19. Franc

Franc Member

Its annoying. So many things you buy as a once off - but because you have bought one they continue to get you to try to buy more.

Just as bad as carsales emailing me about my car when I sold it a few weeks ago through their site.

20. Radley

Radley Member

I think I'm on the same. YTM is a monster turd, but I like YT premium and I'm always on YT.

Sorry to hear that. Happened to us but I don't think we noticeds any ads. That was a couple years ago and she's pregnant again and going fine at 23 weeks and I honestly haven't noticed a single ad, but to be fair I use adblocker on top of my YT premium account. I don't notice the ads on FB though.

This video seems perfectly timed!

whatdoesthisdo likes this.