So **** you Youtube?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by whatdoesthisdo, Jan 24, 2021.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Substitute urbex for fighting games, and mine is almost identical to yours!

power likes this.
  2. caspian

caspian Member

yep. to retailers and marketers, discovering a woman is pregnant is the mother lode. they know she's going to need to buy a bunch of stuff, so it's beyond just trying to convince her to spend money - she's spending it no matter what. the fight is now to get her to spend it with them.

Sunder likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

All good mate, we now have a beautiful 4 month old little boy so that has been overshadowed thankfully. It was mainly because she had been googling all this baby stuff so then every website she went to after that was covered with baby ads

Radley likes this.
  4. Franc

Franc Member

That video does explain a few things.

5. callan

callan Member

I've been blocking ads since 1998..once browser tracking became a thing (mostly by java apps back then) I started down the never-ending journey of reducing my internet footprint, and protecting my privacy. I've made great strides, and some spectacular mistakes.
    That said, I have mostly succeeded, as much as I can determine. My digital footprint is smaller. A LOT smaller.
    Neither my wife nor I have watched commercial television in over 20 years, and we have a singular loathing for the Advertising industry.

So - outside of experiments and testing I haven't seen a YT ad as long as I can remember.
    On channels I watch, I sponsor via Patreon. Other than that I see absolutely no justification for all the persistent, all-permeating miasma of profiling, tracking, exploiting and selling of personal activities, practices and even peccadilloes of individuals - the (tracking) practice of which is nothing short of obscene.

Anyone who doesn't oppose this is a fool.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    caspian and whatdoesthisdo like this.
  6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

You must be a criminal because you have something to hide... ;)
    </sarcasm>

7. callan

callan Member

Gadzooks - I've been sprung!:p - the jig is up!

8. underskore

underskore Member

I'm not a big user of the "music" offerings but I actually don't find YTM bad at all.
    I think it's safe to say that most oppose it they don't just oppose it strongly enough to actively fight on one front, let alone as many as needed to make a big dint in it.

9. Joe 98

Joe 98 Member

Youtube started with nothing but trivial videos. See my cute baby! My cat up a tree!

In about the year 2011, was researching something and found a documentary on Youtube. I found there are lots of documentaries, made for TV, between about 1980 and 2005, on Youtube. I also found some interesting channels and therefore I watch Youtube regularly.

I too have noticed there seem to be more ads than ever before!

Today I was visiting another forum, with a link to a Youtube Video. I watched, through the forum for about 30 seconds. I could have watched the whole video. Instead I clicked on the Youtube link to watch it direct on Youtube. An ad started immedaintly!

Mysteriously, if you watch the video via the forum, there are no ads. Strange!

10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Try putting a full stop after the .com (as in .com.) in the video url.

JSmith

11. ndt

ndt Member

oh man, it sure is. Here's the stuff I've noticed
    1. I've come across a number of albums that are missing songs. (Song shows as "unavailable")
    2. You can't remove an artist from your library, you have to remove at the album or song level.
    3. If you go clear all to your open apps draw it closes the YT music app and stops your music.
    4. By default it will Auto play music "you might like" after a album finishes which I found annoying cause it would suggest garbage. You can turn it off now but don't' think you used to be able to.
    5. If you go Library > Artist then click on the artist, rather than showing their albums, it lists every song of theirs you have in your library. You have to scroll to the bottom and click "see all by artist" to see the albums. Imagine how annoying that is when you have to scroll through over 100 songs.

underskore and Sphinx2000 like this.
  12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I was pretty happy with Google Music... with youtube music, far less so.

qwertylesh likes this.
  13. Radley

Radley Member

So, does anyone have any good alternatives yet? I've been using Spotify Premium but it's got a terrible UI. I prefer to play whole albums and not listen to random playlists where I only like a fraction of the tracks.

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Tried Amazon Digital Music? I've never used it, but they seem to have full MP3 albums that are DRM free:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=163856011&ref_=navm_em__dmusic_0_3_13_7

I do use Bandcamp, but I don't listen to mainstream music, so I don't know if they offer that:
    https://bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  15. nin82

nin82 Member

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/575086

~$3.50/month for a family plan via India with a VPN. Wife watches a lot of YT and I typically have something playing for some background noise whilst I'm working, absolutely worth it to me.

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Tried it, didn't work for me (can activate it cheap on a new account but can't family share it to my existing accounts despite jumping through hoops)

Could make a new account and move my subs there I guess

17. callan

callan Member

With Google music I a.ways pulled down anything I bought as 320k MP3 files. Google would do their level best to hide the download option, but I have long adhered to the concept that I will only buy music DRM free.
    Has served me well.

18. Radley

Radley Member

It was very easy to find on the GPM app