Social media administration - Do you have admin rights?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by NiSlo, May 3, 2013.

1. NiSlo

NiSlo Member

Social media is big business and more and more companies are leveraging it to reach their clients, both current and prospective through the use of business pages and advertising.

In your operation, who has the admin (called a 'Manager' on Facebook) to add and remove other 'managers' from the page? The reason I ask, is that social media is pretty much a marketing tool and has really nothing to do with IT, so when it comes time to shut down a users access as part of termination, it's easy enough with AD, email, phones etc, but what about the Facebook or twitter accounts? Is the company concerned about the potential for harmful posts by somebody after being told they no longer have a job in the same way they can be concerned about files and emails being deleted and if yes, what's the plan to remove their access before they get a chance?

Just yesterday this problem popped up. 2 people are managers on the company Facebook page. One gets let go, the other is on holiday. It falls to me, the Sys Admin, to stand next to this person while they log in, add me as a manager and then remove themselves, all the while being upset and crying at what has just happened.

Thoughts or insight?

2. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I've had this very discussion with our business, and have been met with nothing but blank stares. Unfortunately I think this is one of those parts of social media which get completely overlooked.

In our business, the guy who looked after all of our social media was fired, and to be honest, I'm surprised our Facebook page didn't get vandalised or locked out.

From what I've heard, Facebook don't particularly care much about helping you recover the page either, which from a branding point of view, is a nightmare if you've invested alot of effort to get your customers to follow you.

3. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

about 2 years ago i setup Facebook pages for both of the small companies i work for and things have been going ok for some time. But in my company Facebook doesn't really suit our business.

I recently was asked to hand over the control to the "marketing" person who has since minced both pages and we have lost a lot of people on both pages and now im being asked why.

I think you still need someone in the IT department to monitor it as well as your marketing people just to make sure everything runs smoothly. I still after 2 months and the crap that has happened to it am being asked to correct posts and offers. Personally i think keep it in the IT department and have marketing just hand off posts to them. Or have your Sys admin be the manager and everyone else just be content creators.

4. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

We are in the process of setting up some facbbook pages for the organisation here and what I'm doing is making a account for the IT department. No info on it, totally blank and then when a page is requested we create it, add the users who will contribute but we have the highest permissions so we can monitor everything or delete content/the page itself is required.

5. power

power Member

Facebook/social media would do very little for our business, then there is the implications with people commenting on it and it potentially becoming an out of control shitstorm and we said no to social media.

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Thoughts - HR fucked up.

Insights, Process issue, Not strictly an IT problem.

If someone is let go, I'm responsible for removing their access to our IT system. Facebook is no more our IT system than the online portal for office works is. If Marketing grant the user access to Facebook management, then its on Marketing to remove it, and the onus is on HR to inform all the required departments that the user has left, and that access needs to be revoked.

That being said, If I was asked to revoke someones access to a web account by someone much higher in the food chain... I could give myself access to their mailbox, request a password reset, and login as them to do so. (assuming no 2nd factor that I don't have access to).

7. power

power Member

bang on, IT need to separate themselves from the clusterfuck that is other departments.

8. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Absolutely nothing to do with IT.

What's the difference between a system administrator having access and any random marketing problem? The staff turnover problem still exists.

9. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Agreed, but the perception is still (in many companies) that if it has anything to do with technology, it automatically belongs to IT. Users who don't understand how this stuff works simply assume that IT have overriding control over it.

10. power

power Member

those idiots need to be set straight.

11. thetron

thetron Member

There social media system which you can essentially basic user controls over social media access. They'll login to a central web console under their own name and account to post social media updates

RATHER then having full access to social media account

The best policy you can do for anyone whom uses social media for internal or external purpose. It's very simple to respect, trust and honor your employee not doing anything, either intentional or unessential make them react negatively

Keep your social media policy two line
    "Don't do something stupid to defame us directly"
    "Don't talk about flight club"

"Saying "My Opinion is my own". Its pointless"

12. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Are there any tools that will allow this?

ie, I setup a service with the master facebook account, and then users can login to the tool using their AD accounts to manage what goes up on the page?

If not, consider it patent pending, and I'll get some indian to write me one this weekend.

13. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

14. tin

tin Member

That sucks for everyone - but how come it was an IT person that had to watch them do this though? Surely it's a management thing, not IT's problem. Or is the business small enough that it comes down to "you know the internet"?

I'm not aware of any, but there may be some out there.... Of course with no clearly defines open standard API for managing access rights on business profiles across different social media sites, any tools would have to be constantly updated as the sites change the way they do things, and would have to have different code for each site.

15. thetron

thetron Member

Not with LDAP

You would have a service website

I suppose you could write your own or setup a LDAP enabled website. Where they goto mycompany.com/tweet and some existing php script allows them to tweet from official account

When an account is disable. So does the user LDAP account and access to the website

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  16. OP
    OP
    NiSlo

NiSlo Member

Yep. The marketing guys were using psuedo accounts, because they didn't want to use their personal accounts to access the company page (There's no such thing as a company account anymore. You log into your personal account then switch to the company account). Facebook obviously does audits on fake accounts, and the whole marketing team had their fake accounts locked and lost all access to the company FB account. Who'd they come to? You guessed it - IT. I could do no nothing other than shrug my shoulders even though I wanted to get it going again. They eventually got back in after pleading their case to FB, a week or so later.

Personally, after this whole shit fight, I do think IT should have a high level account, but I don't want to have anything to do with content in the same way I have access to their emails, but I'm not responsible for what they send. IMO IT just facillitates.

See my first post about fake accounts!

It's obviously going to work well for some companies and not others. We are in the tourism industry, so the company FB page is a gold mine.

I can't see this working for FB. There is not company logins anymore. You log in with your personal account then switch to the company account and from there, you handle everything to do with the page including, permissions. I'm not suggesting you would do it, but resetting the password of an employees personal account is obviously a dangerous game and a major part of my problem earlier in the week.

This! And it's easy to say that these people need to be set straight, but when you are in an SMB, roles are often less defined than in large enterprise. The first thing people ask when I tell them I do IT where I work is "Oh, you do the webpage and Facebook then?".

This is handles in the IT usage policy that everyone signs on employment.

The central management idea looks good!

Thanks!

Exactly that. I can see why they would think that. I look after everyone's permissions to company systems, why not the company Facebook account?

Seeing as it was pretty loosely managed in the past, I've taken it on as my own. I'm now the Manager of this account in question and that of our sister company, with the Marketing Manager of each company also a Manager. Everyone else, is either a content creator or moderator. Now if someone leaves, I can just log in, remove them like I would do with any other company account, sign off my checklist and be done with it. It's just going to be easier and it covers my ass.

17. thetron

thetron Member

My belief alot of companies go too far when comes to social media policy

Using strange terms and conditions which nobody reads until an incident occurs