Socket 939 Nostalgia Trip

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Sgt Bilko, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Hello again boys and girls!

Back with the next build that I promised you all back in November.

This one was more of a challenge that I was expecting with it going through 3-4 iterations before finally settling on what lies ahead.

But we'll start off with the all important parts list:

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4800+
    RAM: 1GB (2x512MB) GEIL Ultra-X 550Mhz
    Motherboard: DFI LANParty nF4 SLI-DR
    GPU: ATi Radeon X1950 XTX
    Cooling: Thermalright XP-120
    Storage 1: 160GB WD Velociraptor 10000rpm SATA HDD
    Storage 2: 160GB Seagate 7200rpm PATA HDD
    PSU: Antec Neo HE550
    Case: Cooler Master Wave Master
    Extras: 16x DVD-RW, 3.5" Floppy Drive

This was pretty close to my dream build at the time so it's one I've really been looking forward to :)

And without further ado, let's begin!
    [​IMG]
    First up is the Motherboard, I actually gathered 3 quite different Socket 939 boards for this build but one was faulty, another couldn't be fixed in time so I ended up going with the SLI-DR, complete in its original box with all accessories :)

I don't think I need to tell most of you about the Lanparty series do I?......Nah
    [​IMG]
    This beast at the heart of the system, the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, a Dual Core CPU running at 2.4Ghz built on the 90nm process node, a Monster CPU at the time and one of the first Dual Cores around.

[​IMG]
    1GB of 550Mhz DDR memory, with Athlon 64 being the first to integrate the memory controller it enabled faster memory to run and In case anyone is wondering these are Samsung TCCD ICs ;)
    I absolutely love the heat spreaders on these (even if they are a pain to keep clean)

[​IMG]
    The ATi Radeon X1950 XTX, the first Graphics Card to use GDDR4 (512MB of it in this case) and built on the 80nm process, this particular card came from another OCAU member so hopefully they get to see it alive and kicking! :D

[​IMG]
    For the CPU cooler I went with the Thermalright XP-120, 5 heatpipes, good amount of finned area and extra airflow over the memory is a bonus.
    [​IMG]
    while I couldn't track down a period appropriate fan (I apoligise for that) I feel the EK Vardar works in pretty well.

[​IMG]
    In my last build log there was some discussion over which OS to use here so in the words of the great Tulio and Miguel: "Both, Both is good"

A 160GB Seagate PATA drive for Windows XP and a glorious 160GB WD Velociraptor SATA drive for Windows 7

[​IMG]
    Now you can't use a Lanparty board without adding a couple of cold cathodes, it's almost an unwritten rule ;)

Which finally brings us to the case
    [​IMG]
    This beauty was in surprisingly good condition, just needed a good clean and dust out.
    [​IMG]
    Original owner had made a couple of small modifications namely the side panel and swapping out the original I/O cover to an 80mm exhaust in the top.

[​IMG]
    It didn't look even this clean when I first got it, one thing I do really like about this case is....

[​IMG]
    Slide out tray! The downside is very little room for cable management.

[​IMG]
    CPU, Motherboard and I/O shield installed and and looking good :leet:

[​IMG]
    Added in the CPU Cooler, Memory and Graphics Card, also at this point I sleeved the rear 80mm fan cable.

[​IMG]
    Moving back over to the main part of the case next was the PSU and various drives.
    And of course I'm using the round PATA cables (so many 4 pin connectors for fans though)

[​IMG]
    Next came sliding the tray back in and connecting it all up, also added in the first connectors for the cold cathode lights.

[​IMG]
    One of my favourite shots :)

It was also at this point I discovered that one of the cold cathode tubes (that I checked prior to this build) had ceased functioning so the final effects aren't as good as I originally hoped.

[​IMG]
    Nevertheless, shot with the side panel on

[​IMG]
    And finally a shot with the side panel off

I really hope you all enjoyed this build, as before it won't be the last from me, this one really did take a bit longer than I expected but I am very happy with how it turned out, let me know what you think! :D

genxor, adamsleath, Hotrod2go and 6 others like this.
  2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Looking amazing. Can't wait for the next one.

That case though, it's yellow-ness is just so... yellow.
    It kind of works.

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

nice blast from the past there sarge
    I have fond memories of my lanparty nfi and a nice run of S939 cpu's
    first up was a Opteron 144, then a 4200, then a better stepping/clocking 4200
    also ran 2gigs of ocz 2-3-2-5 PC3200. It wouldn't clock like the good 250mhz stuff, but it would go super super tight on latency. so that crazy memory divider on the dfi really helped.
    but i didnt have such a good vid card, i think back then i was rocking a 6600gt

such a solid rig that was tortured for so so many years :thumbup:
    oh, and i broke that unwritten rule too. no cold cathodes :o

4. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Thanks mate, Honestly love this case, hard to believe it's around 14 years old!

Great to hear it, sounds like you really enjoyed that rig :)

5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Like it very much. A credit to you. Love the yellow.
    I would have liked to have seen the GPU vertical.
    Would have been the icing on the cake.

6. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Thanks mate!

Vertical GPU would have been a nice touch but that would have required modding the case and I just couldn't bring myself to do it :upset:

7. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Love it bilko.. All I can hear is glorious BF2 theme music!

Those DFI boards are legendary.. Even the AM2 sucessor, - set an AMD freq WR with that beast, wouldn't have done it w/out it.

939 rig is definitely on my to do list at some pt.

8. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Awesome!

I may or may not be using an AM2 Lanparty for the next build as well.... ;)

Big reason of why this has taken so long, waiting for the right components to come up and praying they are in good condition :lol:

Hopefully I'm not waiting much longer for the rest of the builds to come together :)

9. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Ha, great build.

I've got tonnes of old AMD parts here. GFX not so much, oldest is probably a 5870 or 6970 without going looking.
    Give me a yell if you're having trouble finding old stuff and I'll have a bo-peep.

I even have an olivetti M28 here ....the original IBM clone.
    I must fire it up one day.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

sweet build.
    sooo clean!...

snap:

[​IMG]

from my 2nd ever PC build.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  11. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

It might not be very period correct, but that x4 PCIe slut is the perfect place for a NVMe games drive.
    Sure, you can't boot off it and they need Win7, but game load times will not be I/O limited. Even better as a ver1.0 PCIe board, you can stick in any cheaparse drive and it'll max out the bandwidth no worries. :D

12. chook

chook Member

Is that how the kids describe an orgy in these modern times?

I still have my ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe with the chip you had to flip for SLI. Was considering what I could do to it downstairs in my evil laboratory. I feel like the Socket A and Socket 939 days were a golden era of rose coloured memories.

Aetherone likes this.
  13. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

NVMe and chill?

14. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

There's a chance a 950 Pro can boot. In bios it's an ide device.

15. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

It's distinctly possible. IIRC, Kingston did a Predator NVMe that also had a legacy boot rom.