Socket a athlon build thoughts

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Rubens, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Rubens

Rubens Member

Somewhat posting this for my own thoughts but happy to hear opinions too.

I’m gathering pieces to relive my first gaming pc plus a few tweaks from the wish list/modern items.
    It will be a Kt133a chipset based athlon a build, sporting a axia stepping 1200mhz cpu, 512mb ram, possibly a pci sata adaptor to run a modern hdd (if I can figure out windows98 compatibility).
    I am just in two minds about video cards, I’m fairly sure I had a very underwhelming geforce2 mx at the time which I won’t be reliving. From what I can see the Radeon 8500 didn’t quite hit the mark at the top either. It seems that geforce2 gts cards and geforce3 ti200’s can be bought for not exorbitant money.

So the question is really Geforce2 or Geforce3?

MUTMAN, BiggusDickus, adz and 2 others like this.
  2. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

The best you can afford I would say.

MUTMAN and hutts24 like this.
  3. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I don't see value in GeForce 2 GTS cards as the GeForce 4 MX is essentially the same in terms of performance and features.

The GeForce 3 has lots of nostalgia for me so that would be the winner. :cool:

If you have patience, I'm sure a suitable AGP card will be listed on here eventually - just note the KT133A does have some AGP compatibility issues.

4. bYrd

bYrd Member

As long as it’s compatible, a GeForce 4 Ti4200 can be had for less than a GF3, and ultimately will allow you to cover more games from the era. I’d overclock the CPU while you’re there

Pierre32 likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Member

AXIA stepping Thunderbird overclocked from 100->133Mhz FSB was my first self-built proper gaming PC, and I had a Triplex Ti4200 in there (which I think I got a little later than the machine build, but still definitely when it was current, ie. parts spanning 2001-2002ish).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

yup, 4200 would be my choice too.

7. rugger

rugger Member

Yep, Ti4200 is awesome!

Prices are not too awful for them on ebay either (still awful, but not like trying to buy a voodoo card!)

8. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

I’ve noticed that I sold a voodoo 5500 in 2017 on here for $150 lol

MUTMAN, BuuBox, Vanne and 1 other person like this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

Hahaha lol that's awesome.. wasn't to me was it?

10. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Psycoticorc, I think he sold it on after that, I had planned on trying to find a pci card but life took over. I played around with the voodoo in a slot a and a matx p3 system but never really did what I wanted it to.

Ive just bought a winfast a350xt for cheap (I think) which probably won’t see the light of day in this system, have been eyeing off a itx p4 system that it should slot right into though.

Vanne and Pierre32 like this.
  11. JaC

JaC Member

This is going to be a rad system.

My vote for video card is gf3, or maybe gf4ti of that's cheaper. Probably don't bother with gf2.

Vanne and adz like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

I’ve acquired the foundation to this build, a Msi K7T Turbo V3, comes with a cpu (some type of xp I think) and a magical deafening coolermaster heat sink.
    Now it’s time to sit next to the mail box and wait.

26ED9EC4-0BE5-44C6-BDAA-9CA3C5D65573.jpeg 9BAAB6D1-9CE2-4DE6-9247-EAA1FF0D7A14.jpeg

Flamin Joe, rugger, Pierre32 and 2 others like this.
  13. adz

adz Member

So I put a deafening fan on my heatsink, which was the style at the time :lol:

Flamin Joe and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Oh I remember having a 80x38mm delta on a swiftech mcx462-v, I think I had rocks in my head at the time.

Flamin Joe and adz like this.
  15. adz

adz Member

Those were the days...

hutts24, Flamin Joe and Vanne like this.
  16. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Instead of a pci sata adaptor which you will need to jump through hoops to get working in dos and w98, why not get a ide to sata adaptor like this https://www.startech.com/en-au/hdd/pata2sata3 (which is also bidirectional if you want to plug a ide drive to a modern machine). It will make the sata drive appear as a ide drive natively in dos and windows so you dont need to do any hacks to get it working.

17. adz

adz Member

So long as it's a proper controller with a dedicated BIOS, both Win98 and DOS will work just fine.

18. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

I’ve got a sil3114 based pci card, seems the best option from google. Lucky enough to find a red coloured card on eBay to follow some kind of colour theme.

adz and JaC like this.
  19. rugger

rugger Member

Absolutely. Didn't matter who made the CPU fan on the athlon XP, they were all universally noisy.

I remember putting my finger into one of the stock fans back when I had my original Athlon XP 2000+. That .... umm ... hurt .... and it also broke a fan blade off the fan due to how much energy the fan had. I did try to stick with the Athlon despite it's new disability, but was forced to put it aside for a short while and use my old celeron 333 until I had bought a new HSF unit for it.

So yeah, morale of the story ... don't put your fingers into an Athlon XP fan!

cdtoaster, Vanne and adz like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

After endless nights on eBay driving my partner absolutely mad I have realised what card I had with this build originally. Turns out I was way off thinking it was a GeForce2 MX it was actually a Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 Ti. Along this train of thought the only one I’ve found would cost just shy of $300 delivered I think I’ll leave that idea alone. I will start with the Sapphire 9600xt I bought for $10pp off Facebook until I can justify a GeForce variety.

adz and rugger like this.