1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Socket a athlon build thoughts

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Rubens, Aug 24, 2021.

1. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

The 6,000rpm delta fans were a special kind of noisy that's akin to standing next to an Airbus prepping for takeoff. All the cool kids had one.

FIREWIRE1394, Flamin Joe, JaC and 2 others like this.
  2. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

If I recall correctly a GeForceMX 440 is pretty much the same level of performance/features as a GeForce2 Ti. Much cheaper though..

3. rugger

rugger Member

The days of Moar RPM.

You would stuff an Athlon XP in a case that had virtually no vents, put the loudest fan you could find onto the CPU, and wonder why all the capacitors exploded in 2 years.

The definitive Athlon XP/Pentium 4 experience!

Vanne, Phido, Holdenkicks and 2 others like this.
  4. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

adz likes this.
  5. rugger

rugger Member

The good old day's when delta wasn't a disease.

Just a fan that made you wonder if you had one! (a disease that is)

6. JaC

JaC Member

Oh man I had a fop38 with a Delta vacuum cleaner screamer that has it's guard removed. One day I got a little too close and that sucker took a chunk out of my finger. Only made that mistake once.

rugger likes this.
  7. rugger

rugger Member

Haha, another socket a fan victim!

JaC likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Haha I remember having 5 80x38mm fans, google tells me they make a 9000rpm 4 pin version currently.

So far for this build I’ve currently got
    Motherboard: Msi K7T Turbo,
    Ram: Random sticks (for now),
    Cpu: Duron 650 (don’t get me started was not as advertised),
    Gpu: Radeon 9600xt or GeForce Fx 5900xt,
    Pci sata card,
    Wd green ssd, if I can figure out the sata driver integration into the Windows 98.

Items coming,
    IDE 60gb Wd Caviar
    Thermaltake Atx-400 (has a 25A 3.3V rail and 40A 5v rail) not sure on caps/quality for these models and replace the fan.

Missing a few cables, peripherals, sound card and case (put up a wtb for a Antec Super Lanboy but I’m still undecided).

This may be put on the back burner once again like all my vintage projects for the short term currently changing jobs and looking to move house

Not sure if I should ask to have this moved over to the build logs or not yet?

rugger, Vanne, JaC and 1 other person like this.
  9. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

that's the card i bought early 2004 :) still have it in its original box. the stock fan became very noisy, the same thing happened to the aftermarket one. unfortunately i never found a reasonably priced replacement. i hope yours doesn't have the same fate.

could also look at 6600GT DDR3 AGP cards, 6800LE are also cheap but i don't know anything about them. The FX series didn't have great image quality.

10. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

I’ve totally derailed from this build lol, the motherboard I bought ended up coming with a duron 650 and I have just bought a Athlon 1333, athlon xp 1700+ and a Athlon xp 1800+. I have a psu being dropped off tomorrow morning, yet I don’t even have a CD drive or even a single ide cable in my hands. I really need to be able to get back to QLD to rescue the rest of my belongings.
    I get the keys to the new place on Friday and start a new job on the 27th. I will pull the trigger on a over priced geforce4 ti after that date and maybe rejoin the voodoo hatred of money aswell.

Vanne likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

This arrived, didn’t even realise it was AXIA stepping super happy with that and some weird heat sink that has a copper insert on the base and a 80mm fan.

75127C7D-AC8B-4AF0-88C6-5C40A7992D8B.jpeg 27D69E53-4A9E-42DA-97B6-E612DB250C2C.jpeg 490C7219-5413-447F-83DA-559E5253AA2B.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    JaC, adz and rugger like this.
  12. Vanne

Vanne Member

you can’t rejoin, because you never really left.. it’s always been there in the back of your mind..

yes I stole that from The matrix. Lololol

13. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Almost bought a Pci Voodoo 5 5500, sold for $440 pp on eBay from America, but had to buy a fridge. Stupid life and responsibilities getting in the way.

Vanne likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Help me, I’ve got problems.
    I’ve ended up buying a
    Gigabyte GA-72m rev 2.21
    (matx KT133A board, I’m a sucker for anything ITX or MATX)
    Duron 800mhz128mb pc133
    Tnt2 M64
    Creative CT4810
    Voodoo 3 1000
    am I insane for paying $118 AUD for this thing? Feels that way when I payed $150 for a voodoo 5 last time I bought into the 3dfx world.

Still no GeForce 2-4 card, still don’t even have a single ide cable in my possession in Sydney.
    I think this has turned into look at the rubbish “AMD” stuff I buy, sorry for anyone that thought I could complete anything I set out to do.

Need to sort out CD/DVD and Floppy drives plus cables, feel bad asking for things from the community before I can access my belongings back in QLD.

Edit: Just doing this so it’s not me posting to myself over and over.
    Basically thinking the voodoo can run with the 650 Duron I have (close enough watch to my old slot a 700mhz thunderbird for now without spending more money).
    Athlon I bought recently can run with the video card I haven’t purchased yet.
    Then after I recover my other belongings I’ll have a nforce 2/kt800 Athlon xp build with the fx5900xt.
    I’m awful at finishing one thing and moving on, it all comes at once and either all falls to pieces or I have a huge success.

6024881A-F2E1-4DBD-BCD0-E4A6EFDE551D.jpeg 982B90FB-6DAD-48F3-A322-20A2D19FF581.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  15. JaC

JaC Member

Nothing wrong with that list of parts. Doesn't sound too crazy a price for a voodoo 3. The duron system will be a nice win 98 machine. Early unreal engine stuff loves 3dfx so it should run stuff like unreal, ut, Deus ex, etc really well. Should also do a really good job with half life based stuff and even q3 should go ok.

You also have the option of underclocking/disabling cache for some dos gaming. Haven't tried it myself but from what I understand 600-700mhz stuff can be slowed down to 486 levels pretty effectively. I think the voodoo will also play well with dos.

An nforce 2 athlon XP with a 5900 will be another solid machine that will run games a few years newer. Between those 2 you should cover a lot of ground. An athlon with a gf2-4 in between gives you a lot of overlap so you'll have some redundancy if you have a part failure or you have someone around for multiplayer.

Nothing wrong with having a few projects on the go. Especially with stuff like this where you might need some patience to pick up the right parts. It can be frustrating some days but it will be worth it when it all comes together.

If a floppy and optical drive and cables would get you going, I've probably got something in the cupboard you can have for the price of shipping.

Vanne and baronbaldric like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

This has turned up but will need a re cap, there’s a few caps bulging and leaking, haven’t tried to power it on yet. B5310B2D-A1EE-4A81-B7B1-CEE19B0BE59D.jpeg

rugger likes this.
  17. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

so much like back in the day when all the parts were new?
    PERFECT. I'm not paying $800 for this 800MHz Pentium 3 when I can buy this rubbish $300 Athlon at 1.2GHz!

18. Current

Current Member

hahahaha I remember this :D

adz likes this.
  19. Current

Current Member

oh and you could do the epoxy + silver paint to link the bridges on the top of the chips' package to overclock it stock :p adjust voltages and fsb speed ect: on the processor itself

20. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Aw come on this hurts my feelings, haha I’m pretty sure the athlons were worlds above, $300 for a duron maybe.

Vanne and FIREWIRE1394 like this.