Socket a athlon build thoughts

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Rubens, Aug 24, 2021.

1. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Don't feel bad. I love my rubbish AMD's! Still have most of em.

having said that...
    Real overclockers prefer AMD!
    If you're a lame ass noob and you want your PC to work perfectly out of the box for many years, buy an Intel and start sending emails with spreadsheets attached. If you're a tight ass with mad skillz, and too much time on your hands and plenty of patience, AMD has always been the only option.

Edit: Posted from my Intel Desktop... Would you like a spreadsheet?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    bYrd, adz, rugger and 1 other person like this.
  2. i_trin

i_trin Member

Or a pencil

adz and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Pulled down the two psu’s I’ve bought for these systems, both have leaking caps. The generic psu only seems to have leaking caps on what I can see is the standby circuits and the antec true power has multiple leaking caps. Surprisingly the teapo caps in the antec are still good, what ungodly rubbish did they put in this power supply that way worse than teapos?
    Looking at them you can’t half tell which one is the generic, ones a 400w and the others a 430w.

Attached Files:

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  4. rugger

rugger Member

The difference is that the Antec will become quite a formidable PSU once you replace the capacitors (I've got a 380W truepower, it will handle ANY athlon XP system I throw at it)

For the Antec, you will need to replace ALL the electrolytic capacitors, as they are all crappy Fuhjyyu capacitors.

On this SL350 I am recapping, while none of the capacitors were leaking or bulged yet, they all showed excessive capacitance on my ESR meter, meaning that they have started leaking current and that means more heat and eventual self destruction.

FIREWIRE1394 and RogerWiIco like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Almost ready to throw some things together,
    Waiting on caps for msi board and power supplies.
    Ive got a disc drive now and I’ve even bought a brand new in plastic windows 98se copy.

Im wondering is it really worth the extra money for a Aureal Vortex 2 card over a audigy 2? Can get a audigy 2 for about $30 but the vortex cards about about 5 times that.

6. badmofo

badmofo Member

Vortex2 cards usually have a wavetable header and the surround stuff sounds pretty cool if using headphones and the game supports it, but yeah nar I'd go for the Audigy if Aureal cards are expensive now. They sounds great and you can do the soundfont thing if you're in to MIDI (DOS box only of course).

Vanne likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Hahahaha I finally got yelled at about this madness, I kind of asked for permission to buy something and yeah it didn’t go well.
    Something to do with buying all this plus a ryzen 5950x and a 3090 not being smart financially or some rubbish lol.

Vanne likes this.
  8. rugger

rugger Member

Yeah, that was probably one button too many pressed :)

Sort of like me wanting a 3d printer, but it is just the wrong month with respect to bills and stuff to drop the money on it.

Vanne likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

So I finally pulled the pin on a Leadtek Winfast a250 (GeForce4 ti 4200) and a audigy 2 zs, I’m buying a hakko fx-950 analog next week it seems too. Maybe that has something to do with pushing that button lol

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    rugger and JaC like this.
  10. rugger

rugger Member

Heh, I got both my Audigy 2 ZS and Geforce 4 Ti quite cheaply.

The Audigy 2 ZS came from gumtree with a small bundle of other parts for cheap. (always look carefully at piles of old hardware on sale in the classifieds for interesting hardware, you can find a lot of good hardware that way)

The Geforce 4 Ti 4200 came from ebay a few years ago for a cheapish price, but it came with the wrong fan that didn't even fit on the board. Got a partial refund and put my own fan on it.

But yeah, much harder to get these days.

JaC likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

After my questions the other night I’ve ended up buying a Turtle Beach Aureal Vortex 2 based card and should get my soldering station for next weekend.

Now I can run a Audigy 2 zs in one and a Aureal Vortex 2 in the other GeForce 4 ti4200 in one and a voodoo 3 in the other, best of both worlds happening here.

Still waiting for my voodoo 3 to arrive and windows 98se disc aswell.

Hopefully after next weekend I can show some things actually happening with this mess, re cap some things and build this mess. I’ve kind of set a goal to buy and be able to play the first 6 need for speeds, my personal favourite was need for speed high stakes played it to death on PlayStation.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    adz, Vanne, JaC and 1 other person like this.
  12. rugger

rugger Member

Playstation graphics are hard to look at after you have PC gamed :)

adz and Vanne like this.
  13. Vanne

Vanne Member

Nah it's an art style.. and I have a thing for dithering. ;)

rugger likes this.
  14. Vanne

Vanne Member

That voodoo 3 1000 will overclock pretty well if it's a 16mb card.. just slap a nice heatsink/fan combo on it. Will easily do v3 2k speeds..

15. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Yeah it’s a proper 16mb card not the strange half voodoo velocity 8mb cards, I’ve got a small heat sink and ram heatsinks for it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Vanne likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

I ended up buying an Albatron GeForce ti4200p, sale fell through on the previous card. The card is meant to have 3.3ns ram and basically be a ti4600 with a lower binned gpu (payed way too much ).

C40ADF08-01F0-4409-A7A3-959FE93E9CAB.jpeg

adz, JaC, Vanne and 1 other person like this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

Bueat card mate! though probably run it at stock clocks man, time isn't good for these things.

What OS did you end up going with? and what range of games are you building for?

18. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

I’ve gone with windows 98se, ended up buying a retail disc off eBay with the booklet never opened. The plan is to be able to play
    The Need for Speed 1 through to High Stakes (have The Need for Speed, Need for Speed, Hot Pursuit),
    Interstate 76,
    Doom 95,
    Descent Freespace 1-2 (Freespace 2 is an absolute favourite of mine),
    Tomb Raider,
    Diablo,
    Colin McRae 1-2.

I may buy a joystick for flight games, I did own a steering wheel at one stage can’t remember if it’s still at my parents, still hopeful lockdown will let me back into Qld one day.

rugger and Vanne like this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

sweet mate, can't wait to see this up and running man. 128MB is perfect for that range, not limited at all. with that card you could even dual boot XP and run the following generation of games.. good times.. D2 comes to mind as does Warcraft3, though that might be stretching it a bit too far with the GF4. its gonna be good man!!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  20. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Third time lucky maybe hopefully the caps are alright, just bought this on eBay today, was the original I had back in the day somewhere around where upgraded to s754.
    30F5C40A-0F7E-4750-9783-B7E6A9C1F853.jpeg

Vanne and JaC like this.