Socket A Nostalgia Trip

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Sgt Bilko, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Hello again boys and girls!

Back with another build but this time something just a little different...

Over the past few months I've decided I want to create a build for each mainstream AMD socket starting with Socket A (462) then going on to 939, AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+ and maybe Socket 754 if there is interest but that's all to come in the future one I finish tracking down some of the parts :D

For this build is near and dear to my heart as I first entered the world of PCs with Athlon XP, in fact the 2600+ used in this build is the same one I've owned since new but let's go to the full parts list.

CPU: Athlon XP 2600+
    RAM: 1GB (2x512MB) OCZ Premier Gold
    Motherboard: Abit NF7 V2.0
    GPU: Radeon 9600 Pro
    Cooling: Thermaltake Volcano 11 with TT XB Pro Blower Fan
    HDD: 40GB Seagate 7200rpm PATA HDD
    PSU: TT Litepower 400w
    Case: Virgo Midi Tower
    Extras: 52x CD-ROM, 16x DVD-RW, USB Hub, 3.5" Floppy Drive, Zip Drive

So first up the case
    [​IMG]

Ah the days before there was space behind the tray to route cables....

[​IMG]

One ODD white and one black, just like how it should be :p

[​IMG]

PSU Installed and hooked up to the front drives!

[​IMG]

Here's the beast at the heart of the system, A single core Athlon XP 2600+ built on 130nm running at 1.92Ghz

[​IMG]

To power along the likes of Quake III and Jedi Knight II I went with the Radeon 9600 Pro, this card has a whopping 256MB of DDR memory built on the 130nm process (far cry from the 14nm and 12nm GPUs of today isn't it?)

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure most people who Remember Athlon XP also remember this board, The Abit NF7 V2.0.
    Arguably one of the best boards available for this socket, I could have gone for the higher tier NF7-S but my original PC never had SATA so this one doesn't either :lol:

[​IMG]

Choosing a CPU cooler was interesting but I ended up going with the Thermaltake Volcano 11, sadly the original fan has since been lost but Ebay to the rescue!

[​IMG]

I stumbled across this TT XB Pro brand new on Ebay and with it being a perfect fit for the Volcano it was a no brainer for me :leet:

[​IMG]

The Seagate 40GB HDD is also from my original build way back when so it was another obvious choice
    Amazingly the 2x512MB OCZ DDR 400 kit was also brand new and never used.

[​IMG]

Motherboard, CPU, RAM and HDD installed and this is the cleanest it will look

[​IMG]

Probably one of my favourite shots :D

[​IMG]

Bottom half of the cooler is mounted, also want to throw in a side note here, when I got this cooler it didn't look so great, being copper the years were not kind and it had some oxidation but a quick bath in some vinegar and salt brought it back to to looking pretty again.

[​IMG]

Graphics card and top part of the CPU cooler installed and just running through some quick tests to make sure all is functioning well.

[​IMG]

Fan stamped with April 3rd 2004....I'm starting to feel old

[​IMG]

And here it is in all its glory!
    Cable management just really isn't possible with PATA but I think it adds to the charm :)

I hope you all enjoyed this build, it won't be the last from me I can assure you, I'm not sure how long until I finish my 939 rig as I'm waiting on a rather special motherboard for that one ;)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    juzz86, adz, FIREWIRE1394 and 4 others like this.
  2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Niiiice...

You even got the RAM heatspreaders more-or-less matching the PCB colour. Just make sure that little chipset fan can keep up, I remember they were pretty nasty.

I may have some S754, 939, and AM2 parts available - send me a PM with what you're after. Might also have one of those nifty round PATA cables here somewhere, if you want to try for cable management.

3. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Thanks mate, I was originally trying to keep most things a gold/bronze colour but a fluro green blower fan was too good to pass up :p

Chipset does stay rather cool after a repaste and some cleaning.

Will send you a PM about the other gear thanks :)

4. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Member

That 52x max Liteon drive is bringing back the memories! Nice build :thumbup:

5. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Oh my goodness yes it is. Sorry can't help you coz I've long ago got rid of all my old round IDE and FDD cables, but if nobody here could help they can still be found on ebay.

cables440.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Haha yes, I do have some of those but they are for my next build, and I didn't have any in my original Athlon XP rig either :p

Thanks mate, Had alot of fun doing this one, next one even more so :)

7. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Are you going to a pencil modded Duron build next? Extra points if it's WC'd with a Camry heater core for the rad.

mad_mic3 likes this.
  8. alch

alch Member

9. shane41

shane41 Member

Very nice Bilko ... keep going on 462 I'll call you brudda

10. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Moving on from 462 now but I did have a friend who used to use a tractor rad and pond pump for his old Athlon XP rig, really wish I got photos of it at the time :upset:

Haha niiiice

Rig will stay built but at some point the board may need to come out for HWBOT reasons :p

fredhoon likes this.
  11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Looking awesome, can’t wait to see more of these. :)

One day I’ll do a socket A build. I have ample parts sitting here, but mine has to be a 2200+ (was a tight ass student so only had an xp 2200+ But it did it’s job!)

12. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Mine started life as a prebuilt with Integrated Graphics, I still have the board and case actually haha

Added in a Graphics Card later on that was donated by a friend so I could play KOTOR, ahhh the memories...

13. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Was that case in a sealed bag with an inert gas? It looks so new and shiny!

Can't wait for the 939 build, that's where I started my life with AMD: an Athlon 64 on a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9. (I think, I will have to pull them out to check).

14. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

It had some scuff marks when I first picked it up but the inside was immaculate, honestly that and PSUs has been the biggest challenge for me with these builds :tired:

15. shane41

shane41 Member

Like what you are doing Bilko, should beam up to the enterprise we all like Socket A :leet:

16. David Lam

David Lam Member

Amazing work I had the exact same build back in the day when I first got into PC's and gaming.

17. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Haha awesome, I'm actually doing one right now too! :thumbup:

Tried to look on eBay for parts but they're very expensive.
    Fortunately it's where hording my old gear has come in handy.

Mine is slightly a different style as I'm using overkill parts for everything.

What O/S are you planning on using?

I have a 939 System that I can use which is a lot more powerful but the Athon XP has all my fondest memories.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  18. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Interesting Socket A build!

My first PC I bought and built was a Socket A system: Duron 700, some ASUS motherboard with crappy VIA chipset, I think two 128mb sticks of RAM, AGP 32mb Geforce2MX and a Deskstar 30gb HDD.

19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Oh boy, I've still got my 939 guts lurking about in the shed. Funny story - I sold it after jumping ship to Core2 gear but many many years later saw a bargain Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe on here that I just couldn't resist the nostalgic siren song of.
    When it turns up, I notice its got the exact same modded VRM heatsink that I did on mine ... and the same MAC address :D Poor baby needs a new set of capacitors to get the PCIe slots fully operational again but squeeeee :p

David Lam likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

I need to do some more checking but fingers crossed I'll have it mostly together before Xmas arrives, Just waiting on the CPU to arrive and doing some checks on the motherboard :D

OS for this one is XP 32 bit, Same as it will be for 939 and potentially 754 if that one happens, as I mentioned above finding cases and PSUs from the time period is the biggest challenge I think.