Software Advice - Lightroom or ??

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Steak Face, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Steak Face

Steak Face Member

Hi all,

Quick question.... I used to have Lightroom that would sync to the LR mobile app on the collections that I selected on my pc. I since found out that I can get a legit copy through my work, so instead of ~$15 a month, it ~$15 a year. So I cancelled my original subscription and made a new adobe account using my work email.

I didn't research it all properly and have now found out that the new version I have through my work subscirption is LR Classic CC, which doesn't appear to have mobil app synchronisation - d'oh.

So now I'm left with either signing back up for the ~$15 month plan for Lightroom CC or potentially looking at something else, like Capture.

What I'm after is:
    - Ease of use (I mainly use jpegs but also shoot raw for the files that need major adj - if I can import raw and apply camera settings that would be great, as in the raw looks like the jpeg but is a raw file - I don't have the time and energy for editing too much!)
    - Sync with my phone - this is important as I like to import on mac and then sync direct to my phone
    - Affordable, i.e. I don't need anything too fancy
    - Prefer files store locally on my mac

My current LR library is something like 17,000 images so if I changed platforms I'd want easy transition, including edits, keywords etc. I'm very nervous about this, changing from iPhoto to LR was a nightmare....

I have had a look at some alternatives but there doesn't seem to be anything to fit my needs other than LR CC - it looks like Capture doesn't have mobile app?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

2. Athiril

Athiril Member

LR Classic works with local files, LR CC stores them on the cloud, though you can work on/edit them before theyre synced to the cloud.

If you just want your images on your phone after you've finished editing. Then you can just export jpegs from Lightroom classic, or sync to the cloud (smart previews only).

Lightroom CC would be if you wanted to access and work on full res/raw images on your phone, tablet etc. It comes down on how you want to access the images on your phone.

Lightroom Classic will keep your original files locally stored, can sync smart previews to the cloud, and you can just export jpegs to your phone directly.

3. OP
    OP
    Steak Face

Steak Face Member

Thanks for the response.

I don't know why Adobe made this so confusing...... what you say LR Classic can do is what I need, sync to my mobile, smart previews are fine for viewing on my phone and (maybe) some basic editing like flag for deletion or cropping.

The thing is when I install the app and log in, using my new work account, it is trial only.

When I look in my Adobe account, under "Plans" it says I have "Creative Cloud All Apps".

EDIT - I think I have the syncing to work , photos are now appearing in the app on my phone but the app still says it's Trial only with xx days remaining.....?

Thanks

4. evanc

evanc Member

As a photography enthusiast, would anyone recommend to use Lightroom CC over Google Photos, or use both ?