Software for dashcam editing and other

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by GTR27, Apr 27, 2017.

1. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Currently doing a trip around California and have loads of dashcam footage to draw from. I'd like to merge all the 3 min clips together and dub music or a map over certain parts so people can see where we were and match music to the scenes.

I'm guessing I might need multiple bits of software, but what's the best free stuff (if any) or cheap (<$100 total) software so I can do this and other editing features?

I'm a noob at editing but learn quickly and have a decent technical grasp of computers.

Help greatly appreciated

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. mareke

mareke Member

I've used a program called VideoReDo for years to cut sections out of video and join the remainder. It's not free (mine was though). I've mainly used it to remove ads from TV programs I've recorded and join the remainder together but I've also used it to edit dash cam video. It wouldn't do everything you require but it would trim your dash cam video.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

4. OP
    OP
    GTR27

GTR27 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a quick squiz at some to see what they each do. Can google obviously, but more so after actual user experience

5. Ck21

Ck21 Member

To join all the 3min files into 1 large one, i use ffmpeg.

A few ways to do it (according to the ffmpeg manual, i found the easiest way was to use the method with an input list), i accidently deleted the batch file i created for it but still have my input list, which will help if you decide to google the how-method with ffmpeg.

using the input list method; literally call it input.txt
    Code:
    file 006.mp4
    file 007.mp4
    file 008.mp4
    file 009.mp4
    file 010.mp4
    file 011.mp4
    file 012.mp4
    file 013.mp4
    file 014.mp4
    file 015.mp4
    file 016.mp4
    file 017.mp4
    file 018.mp4
    file 019.mp4
    file 020.mp4

(note the contents HAS to have "file" then the actual filename for it to work on each line..).

throw ffmpeg.exe into the same folder with all the vids + input.txt, then run ffmpeg.exe from the command line, or create a batchfile, and just edit input text as required.

that gives you all the 3min segements into a large video file, which will make life easier when your favorite video editing app :thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    GTR27

GTR27 Member

Awesome thanks for the detailed help! I'll give it a go when I get home :)

7. clonex

clonex Member

Lot of the paid expensive ones have heavily discounted student editions dont they?

ive used lightworks but its not exactly beginner friendly or simple

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  8. Agg

Agg Administrator

Windows Movie Maker isn't terrible, and it's free.

9. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Most of the Hollywood-grade software suites are freely available now for personal use.

Look up Davinci Resolve... Plenty of tutes for it as well. It's the deep-end but then it's also the real deal. Get good at that and you can make a career out of it!

Try and avoid Sony Vegas... I picked one up for ~$120 a few Black Fridays ago. It makes everything look like it's smeared in vaseline.

10. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

If you have the time and the upload speed... Upload to youtube and use their editor. Can join clips together, change the speed, stabilise, add music etc etc.
    (You don't need to make the video public if you don't want to)

11. ging

ging Member

12. below5

below5 Member

13. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Anyone here using OpenShot? If so, how do you find it?

I don't need all the fancy features, just basic editing, cropping, transitions and maybe a bit of titling.

14. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

OpenShot rocks. I use it to produce videos for work where I've recorded a PowerPoint presentation off the presenter's laptop via OBS and married it up to a crop of the speaker shot with a Sony A6000 and a 200mm lens.

The final product has the speaker in the top-right corner of the display with the presentation filling up the majority of the left side of the screen. A little gap at the bottom-right leaves me space for a company logo. The end result is you see all the animations of the PP along with the speakers actions all at once, and I render it all out at BD quality in 50fps for archiving. Looks very pro and no-one can tell I've done it with free software.

So yes, it will be more than enough for dashcam edits. :thumbup: