Software Licensing

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Techtoucian, Oct 13, 2006.

?

I:

1. Have no problem with commercial software licenses

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Dislike commercial software licenses, but use them anyway

17 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Prefer to seek alternatives with more favourable licenses

15 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Don't read license agreements

54 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. Techtoucian

Techtoucian Member

The bulk of software that runs on your computer comes with a license of some kind. All of these licenses are designed for protect the rights of the software owners, and limit what you are allowed to do with the software.

Some licenses (such as the GPL, or BSD license) are designed to protect the copyright holder's rights while giving the user a reasonable amount of freedom. Other licenses (Such as the Windows EULA,) are all about imposing stiff legal obligations.

My question: How do you feel about commercial software licenses?

• When you pay for a piece of software, how do you feel about that a box of text outlining what you're not allowed to do?
    • Do you actually read what you're signing before clicking the "I accept" button, or are you happy just to skimp over it and ignore the issue?
    • Do you know what the bulk of your "rights" are in relation to the software you use on your desktop?

I've tried not to be too biased in this issue, and include all the main points in the poll. So, do go forth and discuss. :)

[edit] The last option in the poll should read "Don't read license agreements" but I'm a stupid tard. [/edit]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  2. mute

mute Member

You should have also made the poll multi selection

Anyway, i dont really care.. if I buy some software, i'm buying it so I can use it

I very rarely, if ever, worry about what i'm allowed to do with the software as i'm using it for private use only

That said, i hardly ever buy software unless I really need it. Most of the time there's a freeware alternative that comes with less bloat anyway ;)

3. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

I was standing behind a user the other day who actually read the terms and conditions. Who does that?!

4. Krinos

Krinos Member

Honestly I hardly read the EULA. For the most part if you've been using software for a while and have common sense you'll know what's in them, and you'll know that they also include a clause allowing them to change the EULA whenever they want to in future.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If it is purchased software (as opposed to free downloadable software), I only read the license agreement if I want to do something out of the ordinary other than just installing it on one pc for example. I think that kinda makes sense!

6. Dedge

Dedge Member

Generally, I prefer to use licenses that encourage the end user to copy, improve, promote and distribute software over any proprietary licence. Admittedly, it's not always practical to uphold this ideology and I'll agree to the respective licence in an attempt to use a specific application.

For example, to enjoy full 3D acceleration under Linux, I must agree to the NVidia proprietary license. Sure, I can use the open source nv or vesa drivers, but I won't enjoy full hardware acceleration. Consequently, while NVidia drivers are "very good" I'd guarantee you that if they opened them up and allowed the community to develop them as well as NVidia, we'd see frequent updates and improvements as well as complete 3D support out of box. On both Windows and Linux, we're required to install 3rd party NVidia drivers to enjoy 3D acceleration.

While I've never taken the opportunity to fully read ANY license, I have read specific parts of both the GPL, BSD and EULA, and I can safely say that the EULA is restrictive. I understand that many people don't care, or don't know any better, but it's like denying your fundamental rights to “freedom”

7. fester2001

fester2001 Member

i belive that once I purchase software I should be able to use it however the hell i wish, and i do.
    As for free stuff I respect the authors wishes, IE a free website template that they ask you to leave the link back to there site, I do.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Most license agreements say otherwise :p

9. fester2001

fester2001 Member

i should have bold'd should as well :p

10. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

Don't read license agreements

11. browca04

browca04 (Banned or Deleted)

I don't read em.

I have better ways to waste my time.

Often there's no other via option for that software either.