1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Software to connect to another computer (CCTV rig) over LAN 24/7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by steelbom, Jul 25, 2021.

1. steelbom

steelbom Member

Hey,

I'd like to have a window of my CCTV rig on my main system that will let me control it / view it. It'd be running over LAN 24/7. Both rigs are on Windows 10. Is there any ideal way to do this?

I've been looking around at some software such as: Chrome Remote Desktop, Splashtop, TeamViewer, Parallels Access, AnyDesk, UltraVNC. Has anyone had any experience with these? Any alternatives that you might think are better?

Appreciate any help!

2. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What brand/model in your cctv setup?

4. OP
    OP
    steelbom

steelbom Member

The cam is a Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP. I've got BlueIris setup on an old computer with a switch attached to it which the cams will plug in to when I'm done.

5. pelmen

pelmen Member

Usually CCTV software has a web interface to access anywhere. Opening up remote desktop control becomes a bigger cyber security issue.

6. OP
    OP
    steelbom

steelbom Member

Yes I did read about that one, but was a bit concerned about it. I think it mentioned port forwarding?
    Yeah, I'll be blocking the cams from accessing the internet and setting up a VPN to connect remotely to the BlueIris PC for any remote viewing.

I am concerned about the remote desktop stuff -- I read it involved port forwarding and can open up holes in the network's security which I don't want to do.

7. original_muse

original_muse Member

I don't have any software suggestions, but just want to flag that you can still use the BlueIris web based interface ("Remote UI" as it is called) using a local connection by typing in your local PC address running BlueIris followed by the appropriate port. Eg. 192.168.1.xx:yyy.

8. pelmen

pelmen Member

Definitely research your software and equipment in regards to passwords and backdoors, to try to limit attack vectors. I still think a remote desktop solution is overkill and a larger security target for you. Good luck with it though!

9. alch

alch Member

10. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Do you want to view/control it from outside your house? If not, remote desktop internally doesn't require port forwarding, but other have suggested, if the software itself has it's own web interface, just connect to that rather than introducing another layer.
    If you are connecting back via a VPN there is no need for port forwarding since you're connecting back into your network and can then use the local address. I do just that to connect to my NVR interface (using their app).

11. OP
    OP
    steelbom

steelbom Member

Ooh good to know. Thanks!
    Yep, will do. Sounds like the above post has a simple solution.
    That looks pretty neat. I might give it a try once I have my cams setup.
    No, just internally. Good to know. Yeah, I think I will make use of its own web interface. Thanks!