1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Software to play blurays on a pc.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Professor Chaos, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

Hi guys.
    Friend of mine has a bluray player in his pc.
    He has never had any software to actually play bluray movies.
    I believe hes using win10.
    What free software is available ?

Thanks.

2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

My experience is a little outdated so if anyone can offer some good FREE software for blurays, I'll more than happily accept it, since even paid software is hopeless for blurays.

Playing blurays on PC was/is an endless fucking nightmare of settings, and updates and problems and then more fucking updates which fucked the settings and then you need to do an update for a specific disc, and then fuck with some settings some more, and then just to cap all that fuck around off... You can have another update. And that's with paid software, I hate to imagine what free stuff would be like.

I got so fucking sick of trying that by the time 4K movies came along, it was actually quicker to rip whole fucking movies
    at full quality and then play in VLC than it was to update and setup for this next disc if I wanted to watch on PC.

That's not an exaggeration like I tend to use to illustrate my points, it literally took less time to put 4K movies in and rip the whole lot, than get cyberlink to play a new Blu ray properly.

These days, if I get any sort of Bluray, it gets ripped right away, or into the Xbox if I'm not sure it's worth ripping (first the slim, now the X) and then in a pile.
    Because even though the Xbox needs updates every 40 seconds to play games, it doesn't need them to be a competent Bluray/media player.

Just get your friend an actual Bluray player or Xbox. They're cheap, they work better than PC and you need to spend less time in setup.
    Or get them some good ripping software (again I can't help with free, but I've been using DVDFAB since the stone age, and it's still great).

Dass Booty, 151528 and shino like this.
  3. Sven76

Sven76 Member

VLC media player should fix you right up - If it gives grief google settings - you may have to set a region code - but in my experience it just works

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

4. mils1

mils1 Member

Potplayer

5. power

power Member

6. OP
    OP
    Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

Many thanks all.

He has vlc, but it apparently wanted two small extra 'files' (codecs ?)
    Which he did and it still didnt want to play ball.

I shall let him know your words of wisdom :)

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  7. breno

breno Member

I'm a big fan of Mpc-hc. I much prefer it over vlc and apparently it does play blu ray discs.
    No longer actively developed but plays everything I throw at it without issue.
    https://mpc-hc.org/

8. 151528

151528 Member

It sounds like Firewire is the only other one here to have actually tried playing multiple Blu rays on a pc, my experiences led me to the same conclusions; not worth the constant hassle, rip and forget or just get a cheap dedicated Blu ray player

9. OP
    OP
    Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

That site seems to have lost its download section.
    So i had a hunt around and found a site that claims to have taken up the challenge of updating the original.
    Is this a real thing or something else ?

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4411-media-player-classic-home-cinema.html
    Note: The original MPC-HC was abandoned by developers in 2017 but this version carries on the legacy.
    Last updated: March 17, 2022

10. breno

breno Member

I don't see any official active development announced. This MPC-HC had its own crowd of fans so i'm sure if it did, it would be known. Then again, I could be wrong.
    I got my copy from sourceforge. It is 1.7.9 but it works well.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema: MPC-HC download | SourceForge.net

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I have a bluray drive that can rip files but not play them. I went through a couple of bluray drives until I just gave up on the whole utter mess. Weird issues with speeds, playback, etc, yet rarely an issue with just ripping the thing off the disk and playing it.

It's so incredibly stupid, but I guess the market is so small that they've never bothered to cater to it. We're all apparently pirates.

12. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

I tried a couple of times and some worked others didn't. All that anti piracy did was promote piracy.

tiro_uspsss likes this.