Solar controller connect straight to load?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by skazclaw, Apr 8, 2019.

1. skazclaw

skazclaw Member

Good day!

Question about a 12v system for those experienced and knowledgable in solar.

Can I connect the wires running from the battery AND solar controller together at the point where it goes into the load? I attached a diagram as an example of what I mean.

Is there potential for damaging the "load" components?

I can't fit any more cables through the conduit, so it's not possible to connect the solar controller to the battery directly.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Yes, that should be fine.

3. slavewone

slavewone Member

I have a vergola hooked up like that except there is no controller. I assume it was originally installed like that.

I have a controller and new panel on order, I’ll set it with the battery between the controller and load although as Symon says, it’s fine.

4. aXis

aXis Member

The way you've drawn it is OK/safe, but there is no under-voltage protection preventing you from flattening the battery.

5. OP
    OP
    skazclaw

skazclaw Member

Appreciate the comments everyone. Looks like I'll be alright :)

Comments are still welcome if anyone thinks differently.

What method would have under-voltage protection, how does it work? Thanks.

6. aXis

aXis Member

skazclaw likes this.
  7. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

A lot of solar controllers have a load terminal/s with an inbuilt relay so they can disconnect it if battery reaches low volts.

8. aXis

aXis Member

As per the OP, he has a limited size conduit and cant fit both sets of wires there.

That said, can the OP not relocate the solar controller to the other end, connect it to the load and battery properly, and have one set of wires only running back to the solar panel?

skazclaw likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    skazclaw

skazclaw Member

Awesome, thanks. It's quite possible it may not be necessary since the "load" has its own motherboard and voltage sensors that can send a "low battery" warning to my phone. But thanks for the advise since I may still go down this route.

Good thought, but I still have the same number of wires to work with, so I don't think it's possible (?). I'll double check in person if it's possible.
    There's still only 1 set of wires running from the battery, and one set running from the solar, and it meets in the middle at the controller.

10. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Yeah, seen this more than once boat installs - usually the Home-Rolled ones, but have pointed and laughed at a few "professional" installs. It's not "The Right Way" per se to do it, but it works....

But on saying that, have encountered a few installs set up that way where a sudden severe snap-load/power demand from the load itself (for whatever reason) fed directly back to the solar controller, which then tried to cough up a lung and output silly voltage levels/spikes to the load until it settled down.

Usually only caused nasty problems with long wiring runs coupled with voltage sensitive devices though, with a couple of Scrooge customers that didn't want to buy a better controller sorted the issues out by adding a small extra battery right next to the load itself.

skazclaw likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    skazclaw

skazclaw Member

Thanks for your experience!

Yeah, it's definitely not ideal.
    Installing another battery is interesting, but not really possible with the limited space.

12. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Sometimes also known as a UVR.

Extra battery or bulk capacitance. This could actually be designed or fitted into the load itself, I guess.