Solar to run a miner 24/7

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by aussie-revhead, Apr 12, 2019.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys. I have asked some questions about this here before but in other threads so I wanted to open my own discussion on this and hopefully the team of enthusiasts here can come up with some ideas. Before I sell me last Antminer I would like to know:

What size solar outfit and size/type of batteries would I need to run an 800w device 24/7?

The next question is can it be done on the cheap?

Could you find a balance and run enough batteries for at least 12hrs run time and shut down when the batteries deplete?

Is a wind generator (small one off ebay) worth adding to the loop?

I'm open to all options and ideas, so lets discuss.

Cheers

:)

2. Jazper

Jazper Member

Wind isn't worth it.

12 hours run time for 800w (8x12 = 9600w) 9.6kw = ~9600$ worth of batteries. Then you need to create the power to run that..

3. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

There has been some good stuff in the engineering section on LTO batteries.

They look fantastic and are scalable to whatever size you need.

4. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Jazper - yeah insane expenditure for the return, is a PowerWall 2 better value?

Does that mean a 6kW solar will easily charge batteries (and run the house) while running the miner?

Mathuisella - Thanks I will have a look

This is just in the idea stage so if its worth it I will try to make it happen, otherwise I keep paying Origin Energy or just sell the last miner and be done with it.

It seems like the cheapest option is to run the miner on solar while the sun is out (6-8 hrs a day?) and that's it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  5. Jazper

Jazper Member

a powerwall 2 is about $13-15k good value, but price/benefit.

Realistically the best option is putting solar in your place for 4-6k, and using the miner only when there is sunlight

6. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah that is possible, it just reduces productivity time to 1/3 of the day

I want to cut my house power bill too, so its not just for the one miner.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  7. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Solar batteries currently are not worth it. There needs to be a battery tech breakthrough, that is the next big thing to change human life.

8. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I guess that applies to cars too, all working on better batteries.

9. Jazper

Jazper Member

Not true, about an hour after sunrise you'll have enough power, until about sunset. Which is about 10 hours.

10. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

Wind can be worth it, but you need to weigh up the noise factor. Turbines can be loud at times. If you have a big enough block to have them away from the house and neighbours it can be a good addition to solar.

To have a reliable system that can deliver ~10kW 24/7 you are going to be up for $20k or so at least.

11. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

One method I've used in past.
    Setup the load/miner to run off a small battery with a solar charger. In addition add a AC-DC powersupply set to 12.5V or equiv for battery type.
    Whenever the solar is available and lifts the voltage above 12.5V the current will be draw from it instead.
    The battery is only there to smooth out dips and give the solar something to regulate too so it does not need to be large.

12. Jazper

Jazper Member

I'm currently doing an assignment for electrical engineering that is investigating this and other sustainable energy types in the context of a farm - small hydro is actually cheaper than wind or solar, for 24/7 power, if you have the appropriate block for it.

Wind has a lot of service costs and so forth

Solar is very variable in terms of production.

Biogas is an option if you have waste organic matter....

13. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

That's nice, hope you enjoy that.

For a small scale system you can get a dozen or so 1 kW turbines and run them to destruction. I've put a few on remote radio repeaters that have been running for about 10 years with zero maintenance. Wind is fine to supplement a solar system to maintain some supply during the evening. Sure your LCOE is lower with hydro, but as you said you need the right location for that, and I'm pretty sure St Claire where the OP is not one of those.

Hydro isn't exactly maintenance free either. It does however have the added bonus of not killing birds.

14. aXis

aXis Member

If you just had solar panels only and could run a scalable miner on that, you might get return on investment for the electricity price in 3 - 5 years. You'd only run for 4 - 6 hours (equivalent) a day though.

As soon as you add batteries into the mix the lifecycle cost blows out and the electricity savings barely even cover the battery replacement cost. It's only worthwhile (at the moment) if you have to pay to access electrical infrastructure, eg put in power poles on a new property.

15. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

What about nuclear? Insane amounts of energy in a small space. I remember reading about a guy who made his own reactor.

16. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

lol wtf ....

17. Jazper

Jazper Member

18. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Willing to follow this. This could give me ideas on how to run my PC off the grid in general if possible. Could be a godsend.

19. aXis

aXis Member

I do something similar with a solar/mains UPS for my server closet (router and NAS).

The only problem with it is wasting solar power. If your panel is bigger than you need, you really don't have much storage capacity in the battery and will be missing out on potential energy. That means missing out on potential savings and the payback period gets longer. Adding bigger batteries to recover that then adds cost - although if you can scrounge some secondhand UPS batteries it's a reasonable option. Going the other way and having a smaller or "right sized" panel meas you'll only offset mains completely for a few hours a day, and taper in morning/evenings.

I'm just building a 1kWh pack that should get me nearly a full night's runtime on solar. There's no way I'll pay back the cost, it's mostly just for fun/learning

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 2:42 PM
  20. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Done exactly this in the past with 1kW of solar panels and some lead acid deep cycle batteries and using a laptop as my main rig.