[SOLVED]1.5tb detected as 500gb!!!

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by SpaceFrog, Dec 11, 2009.

1. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

OK I was upgrading my file server to a quad core, and swap out a few drives.

Quad core didn't take, had to go back to the dual core. GA-965P-DS3 doesn't like the Q9400. (updated to the lastest bios as well)

After i put the old cpu back in, and plugged in all the drives... One drive wasn't working properly. When I click on it i get the you must format this drive to use it.

Checked under disk management and it got detected as a 500gb drive. And I have no 500gb drives hooked up.

Turns out one of my 1.5TB drives thinks it's only 500gb!!
    I went in the bios, and it detects it as a 500gb drive also.

I hooked it up via usb to another PC and I get the same thing.

I played around with 'testdisk', And after playing around with the geometry settings, things looked hopeful. It found the partition, And gave me the option to write the changes. It says to reboot, But nothing changes. I'm not sure if I'm using it right... or perhaps the disk is just too stuffed.

According to testdisk, it detected that the drive had 60,804 cylinders, when my other 1.5tb HDD had 182,401 cylinders.

I might be able to use a recovery program, I had a quick look at 'get data back' but I have a feeling it will only try to recover data in the first 3rd of the disk, as it detects the capacity as 500gb also!

Has anyone got any ideas of what else I can do?

The HDD is a WD15EADS. A quick google search has shown that there's at least one other person to have the same problem.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

hard cmos reset.

3. OP
    OP
    SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

as in clear the cmos with the jumper?

I've got it hooked up to the sata ports on my gaming pc currently, and it still thinks it's 500gb.

So I don't think a cmos reset would do anything.

4. remac

remac Member

Is this drive a recent addition?
    Some motherboards have problems with drives over 1tb in size.
    Was the drive okay before the bios update?
    Perhaps the bios update is the problem?

5. OP
    OP
    SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Bios is the latest version.

This particular drive has been in there since october. And I have several other 1.5TB drives in there. Mostly the same model. And I bought 4 of those drives at the same time. 2 of which were installed at the same time and are both working away fine... so far *Knocks on wood

6. remac

remac Member

Sounds like you have a lot hanging off the power supply.
    How much 12V do you have? (amps) and how many rails?
    It is probably not related, but I have had similar issues with at times up to 8 drives in the box.

7. OP
    OP
    SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

have 2 PSU's a coolermaster 850W and a generic 500W. 13 hdd's in there (now 12 :( )
    I think he coolermaster has 3 12V rails, and the generic one has 2.

8. remac

remac Member

The coolermaster is ample.
    Looks to me like the drive is faulty.
    Perhaps Western Digital should take a look at it.
    It should be under warranty.

9. noobmastery

noobmastery Member

I'd back up whatever is stored on it then see if you can run a firmware update utility on it (update to the same version if a newer one isn't out)

10. OP
    OP
    SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

SOLVED!!!

HDD CAPACITY RESTORE FTW!!!

only runs under 32bit windows.

took 2 seconds. click on your drive and it figures out the max capacity, power off the pc. and it's all back to normal.

Apparently some ppl still have problems getting their data. but my data seems to be all there!

w00t!

I've actually used this utility once before (on a Samsung drive), So I thought it was a Samsung specific utility.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I wasn't too worried about the drive, more worried about the data. It wasn't anything mission critical, just a pain in the ass to get it all back, and I'd never be able to get 100% of it back.

11. rowan194

rowan194 Member

FWIW, mhdd can also do this with a couple of commands. There's a steeper learning curve for this util though.

I ran into the dreaded reduced capacity problem when I ran the TLER util - for some reason one of the 5 WD drives in the machine decided to reduce its capacity by 1MB. This seriously killed any prospect of this drive being able to be used in a RAID setup! Luckily I figured out how to restore its true capacity. NFI why it went -1MB, or only happened to one of the drives.

12. OP
    OP
    SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

my problem was most likely caused by the bios update. i downgraded to the second latest bios (f6)

i was also having other issues.