[Solved] Brand New agility 3 reporting Bad SMART

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by android, May 27, 2011.

1. android

android Member

Hi guys

First of all I posted this here instead of troubleshooting as I thought there would be more ssd boffins here. Sorry if it's in the wrong section.

I just bought a new OCZ agility 3 60GB ssd yesterday from PLE and I put it in my system and installed Win7 x64. I am running it in Sata3 mode in the SB850 controller. I am using the sata cable that came with the mobo. I installed the OS in IDE mode then ran some benchmarks and switched to AHCI and repeated those benchmarks. I ran AS SSD and ATTO and crystaldisk. Everything looked great and normal. I opened crystal disk info and it showed me that i have a bad smart with E7 (no life count). :S I checked using the OCZ tool smart info and it confirmed that. I was wondering whether this is a false report or a defective unit? I couldn't find any info on the internet. Pics and system specs are below. Thanks for any advice!

I ran memtest86 for 8 passes on the new setup before i bought the ssd. no errors. All values are stock I haven't tried any OC at all.

Specs:
    AMD 1090T (new)
    Gigabyte GA-890fxa-ud5 v3.1 FD BIOS (new)(latest bios)
    8GB (2x4gb) Gskill Ripjaws @1600 [F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL] (new)
    Saphire 6950 1GB (2 months bought SH)
    Silverstone ST85F 850W PSU (~3 years old)

CrystalDiskInfo

Click to view full size!

OCZ Tool

Click to view full size!

*** UPDATE: ***

1. I've updated the motherboard bios to latest but still no joy
    2. The SSD firmware is already the latest
    3. I noticed the temperature says the drive is around ~130 degC!? :s

Outcome
    It was a defective drive and will need to be RMA'ed. Cheers

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. akashra

akashra Member

Reported as 64GB? Odd.

3. OP
    OP
    android

android Member

yeh it's wierd.

i've done some more digging and apparently there are a few possibilities.

1. Gigabyte motherboards have problems reporting smart on ssd. They suggested updating the BIOS but this is the latest revision of the board and it came out only in march this year. all the threads i was reading about that problem were in 2010. Still there are two new bios for this motherboard im not sure whether i should update it? if it's just smart screwing up then i wont bother.

2. SSD Noobs (like me) get their new ssds and "throttle" it with benchmarks. But from what i read it's supposed to just slow down the performance of the drive and no mention of a bad SMART? If it is really easy to kill a drive like that then why is it there are no warnings at all? I read a lot of reviews and noone says you can ruin a drive by benchmarking a few times. ~60gbs of data was written but that's like if i stuffed up the windows install 3 times and then installed all my games and applications. that's what i would consider normal use?

im a bit confused

4. stebie

stebie Member

To me it looks like a drive issue. AFAIK, it shouldn't be reporting 64GB as the last 4GB is reserved. The SSD Life Left attribute relates to this reserved memory, and seeing the reserved memory is visible to the attached computer, its value is negated.

Is the firmware publicly available to perform a reflash?

Contact OCZ for assistance and/or post on their forums.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  5. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

Every screenshot I've seen regarding the agility 3 has shown it's temp as 128c and I don't think that's an issue. Everything else is identical to mine except power on hours (52hrs 9 cycles) and life remaining being 100%. I'm guessing that your approximate life remaining is an error since it's 0% rather than any other number and I'd give it a chance to go idle for a few hours and see if anything changes.

6. OP
    OP
    android

android Member

Thank you both for your posts! I left it to idle in sleep for about 7 hours and i just checked then and it's the same.

I think the firmware is available from the toolbox but i didn't want to click update. Should I give it a reflash?

thanks again.

7. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

Sry what do you mean by idle in sleep? The system has to be up and running so the controller can work it's magic so by idle they mean running but with minimal system use. If that's what you did and it's still the same then as stebie said it might be best to contact OCZ.

8. OP
    OP
    android

android Member

I read that you can put the computer to sleep in the start menu and the drive will clean itself if u select "power down" to never in windows power management.

I clicked "sleep" in the start menu and it took me to the log in screen and I left it there for 8 hours.

I have started a thread on the OCZ forums I'll post a solution when it's resolved.

Thanks again for your help!

9. OP
    OP
    android

android Member

I posted on the OCZ forum and they told me it's an RMA. Just posting here for anyone who may encounter a similar problem. Thanks for your help.

10. CM96

CM96 Member

Goddamn. Fired up Crystalinfo to find this:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

So does anyone know what's the go with this problem? Like is it like the drive is cactus & might die soon etc. or is it more of just an irritating error that won't impact it much or something?

11. stebie

stebie Member

Best to contact OCZ like the OP has as I don't think many people here have experienced the same issue.

12. CM96

CM96 Member

Yeah I've raised a support ticket with OCZ (was going to ask on their forums but it kept on timing out) and are still waiting for their response. Just wanted to ask here first so I could find out if I definetely have to RMA or not.

Cheers.