1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED] Dual computer PSU and common ground...

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by 192.168.0.1, Jun 25, 2011.

1. 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 Member

Thinking about setting up a dual PSU system but am wondering about the need to tie the grounds together between the power supplies. The load will be split between two units.. i.e there will be a PSU powering the motherboard which powers a graphics card, while another PSU maybe powering the PCI-e Power on the same card.

I was wondering if to tie the ground would be as simple as running maybe two negative connections between the negative on a set of molex between the two units?

And if i had 3 power supplies, would i need to daisy chain this?

Could a solution for this problem be running one of these adapters http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/products/Dual-PSU-Cable_01.jpg because it seems it connect a COM (ground) from the master PSU to the slave, is this enough to create a common ground?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. Ridox

Ridox Member

that 'should' be enough i think. can i ask what kind of system you are building that requires more than 1 psu?

3. cougz

cougz Member

The case is connected to ground, so by just being screwed into the same case they will share the same ground.

Also the ground on ATX PSUs is connected to the Earth pin on your mains cable... which also means they share the same ground already.

4. OP
    OP

192.168.0.1 Member

4 x 6990's & 2 x 5850's... about 2.5kW

5. OP
    OP

192.168.0.1 Member

Cougz, if the Powersupplies are not connected into a case... Would it be enough to connect some neutral pins? Or maybe have a lead that touches between each of the units?

6. Fwhite

Fwhite (Banned or Deleted)

They will share the same ground via the mains earth plug.

FYI i take it this is for mining, the difficulty went up and now the power consumption is exceeding the amount of bitcoins you will produce.

7. OP
    OP

192.168.0.1 Member

Okay im going to say this is solved, i remember that Thermaltake has their own GPU power supply that just uses a jump off the main power supply. I would hope that thermaltake know enough about how power supplies work to ensure that this would no affect the components or main PSU