[SOLVED] Help with song transcription, please

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by broccoli, May 10, 2019.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

EDIT: I had a nap and figured something out when I woke up......

I've just lost it and can't get this bar right. I'm learning Space Oddity and my teacher gave me the guitar bit. I'm adding in the melody and lyrics so that it makes sense to me in the context of the actual song.

Anyway, it's going ok so far, but I just can't figure out how the bar that starts "stars look very different" goes.... "and the..." is in the previous bar and I think the "to" of "today" goes at the end of the bar I'm having trouble with "day" in the next bar.

Can anyone help me out as to where the crotchets, quavers and semiquavers are meant to go to make it sound like the song? "Stars" is a C.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    firey4059 likes this.
  2. Nastyboy

Nastyboy Member

Should look like this.

upload_2019-5-14_0-52-7.png
    Stars is the first word, last semiquaver is the to- of today.

3. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks. It still doesn't sound quite right when the program plays it back, and I'm not sure why..... I've got my lesson today and we're going to go through the score and have my teacher fix up the wonky bits. It'll be interesting to see what he says.

4. Nastyboy

Nastyboy Member

I wrote it in a slow 4, with notation it can be done a few ways, I could have done it in 2/2 for example. Also, the exact rhythm may vary a bit, depends what your arranger did with syncopation. What's the time signature of your version? Any chance of a screenshot of the chart?

5. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Sorry, won't have time to figure that out this morning, got other things to do (including my lesson). It's 4/4, the guitar part is dotted quaver, semi-quaver, quaver, two semi-quavers,(tie) two semi-quavers, quaver, two semi-quavers, quaver, (the fifth and sixth notes are tied).
    I think the issue is how the program plays everything back in strict rhythm and the melody doesn't seem to match it "properly". It's just me, I think. There's probably nothing wrong with it :D It just seems a bit "off".

6. Nastyboy

Nastyboy Member

I can work it out from that, like I said, it's how the arranger handled the syncopation.

7. Nastyboy

Nastyboy Member

I may be thinking of a different line or a similar line in the song, your rhythm doesn't match what's in my head. Are the words to this bar:

Stars look very different to-

then the next bar is -da-a-a-ay.

Your rhythm has 10 syllables, the lyric has 8?

8. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Sort of 8.5/9

Stars look very different to-d
    ay ay ay ay

The start of "day" is at the end of the "stars" bar

Here's what I'd put:
    quavers c c c stars look ve-
    quaver d -ry
    semiquavers c d c dif fer rent
    semiquaver rest
    dotted semiquaver d to-
    dotted semiquaver rest
    semiquaver f d-

next bar
    quaver f (tied to prev. semiquaver f) ay
    semiquavers e d ay ay
    semiquaver c ay

It seems to me to match in with the quitar part, but something's still a bit strange to me.
    Of course, when he's singing the song, he doesn't have to stick strictly to the beat, he can just do a little bit of breath more than the "nazi" computer program will allow. It might just be the "mechanical" way the program plays it that's bothering me. Dunno. Hopefully, it'll be set straight at my lesson.

(I don't want to put your version in yet, if it's correct, because I've sent it to my teacher, and I'll just get confused. I want to scribble over a hard copy and make all changes at once.)

9. Nastyboy

Nastyboy Member

That's a bit confusing at first read, let me sort through it note by note. It looks to me like it's just the syncopation. My first reply is fairly simple, I'll take the syncopation down to the semiquaver level.

Start of "-day" is in this bar? That's new, OP says it's "to-"

10. Nastyboy

Nastyboy Member

Try this

upload_2019-5-14_12-35-38.png

Attached Files:

11. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, I think that's better. Cheers :)