1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED: NBN UPLOAD speed issues?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Vo0do0, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Member

sorry, that's not something I am free to discuss.

2. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

After spending far too much time reading NEBS documentation over the years and with 5 being a nice round number for some other NEBS uses, I'd hazard a guess a policer has been incorrectly applied to inbound tc-4 traffic or there has been some new profiles generated / tested resulting in said customer service being allocated the incorrect profile.

Just a hunch, based on observation of earlier comments.

3. arnold kluff

arnold kluff Member

hmm .. very interesting. Same deal here .. Tier 100 plan getting speeds of 95 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up.

My FTTC NBN connection is barely a month old and I already have a complaint with the TIO as well as the CEO's office - mostly because in the midst of frequent dropouts, techs kept simply cancelling visits (3 of them) without ever turning up. It didn't help that Telstra stuffed up my transfer from Ultimate Cable, tried to charge me extra and then stuffed it all up and put me on a Tier 50 plan .. and then spent a couple of hours arguing with me that I couldn't possibly transfer my 1000 GB Ultimate Cable to a 1000 GB Tier 100 plan as such a thing didn't even exist. I thin I'd spent 13 ish hours on 24x7 chat and the phone by the time I cavbed in and contacted the TIO. I was pretty peeved by then! I don't know whether the TIO complaint was what prompted someone into actual action, but I've had an NBN tech as well as 2 Telstra techs at my house now.

Initially, my connection was prone to frequent drop-outs, but was a decent 95/35 when it was up. Because I was having so many dropouts, I whipped up a python script using a cli version of speedtest and logged my connection at 30 minute intervals (I've actually bumped this to 5 min intervals as some of the dropouts have been pretty short). The stability has improved, I think it's 5-ish days since I last needed to power-cycle. Anyway, at 23:22 on 4th July, I had a drop-out. When it "came back" (no power cycle required), the upload speed was capped at 5 Mbps and has never exceeded that since.
    Blue is download speed, orange is upload and grey is ping time.
    [​IMG]

Today's Telstra Platinum tech told me it should be escalated to the NC&F team at the Global Operations Center .. whatever that means!
    Now I'm just waiting for my case manager to speak to "Level 2" support and get back to me by Friday. Honestly, I thought that's what he told me he was doing when he booked the Platinum Tech 2 weeks ago!

Sigh :)

4. OP
    OP
    Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

theres a couple of people in this forum/thread that may be able to assist you ..
    "Had" the exact same issue here ..
    came back from an outage and was capped at 5mbit up.

Are you FTTC >?
    Are you in Adelaide ?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  5. arnold kluff

arnold kluff Member

yep .. and yep :)
    I think I was chatting in a thread with you on whirlpool too?

6. OP
    OP
    Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

Haha quite possibly.
    If your go back to page 1 and have a read there are 2 people offering a solution. Maybe throw one of them a Pvt message. In fact from memory one of them asked for other users with the same issue to Pvt them your address for any expodited fix. I'd rather not push users on them directly. I'm not sure of their level of involvement etc. I'll let them deal with it as they see fit.

Goodluck

Send me a Pvt. If you're still stuck

7. caspian

caspian Member

arnold kluff, send me a PM with your service details and I will sort it out.

and no, this isn't something specific to Adelaide.

8. arnold kluff

arnold kluff Member

Casper is the man!!
    [​IMG]
    I don't know what black magic he has at his disposal, but it's put my upload speeds back where they belong :)
    Many thanks :)

9. antman84

antman84 Member

Did you just assume their gender?! :lol:

But, for the record, agreed!

10. arnold kluff

arnold kluff Member

oops!
    No .. wait ..
    actually .. I meant to say "Casper the friendly ghost is the man" .. because I've read the comics, I've seen the film .. he is. I mean .. sure, he's a ghost and all .. but he's a man ghost . .well, alright .. a boy ghost granted ... technically though ..

Caspian, on the other hand, is the schnizz!
    See? .. issue carefully avoided :)

banshee likes this.
  11. arnold kluff

arnold kluff Member

evening: still good upload speeds. Woohoo!
    But ... a weird connectivity one that turns up from time to time and requires the NCD to be rebooted ...

ping speedtest.telstra.com
    Pinging speedtest.telstra.com [198.18.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

ping www.sun.com
    Pinging www.sun.com [198.18.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

ping www.microsoft.com
    Pinging www.microsoft.com [198.18.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

My local IP addresses are 192.168.5.x (255.255.255.0) ... so 192.18.1.1 must be coming from the router/NCD.

I've seen something like this before but, at that time, the modem reported that it all the test pings failed.
    This time it reported Next Hop Ping, First and Second DNS Server Pings for both IPV4 and IPV6 as "Success"
    So I guess I won't be calling my case manager and telling him "everything's fine" just yet :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  12. caspian

caspian Member

the NCD has no layer 3 functionality at the service level. it is a bridged modem. I expect 192.18.1.1 is coming from your local router.

13. arnold kluff

arnold kluff Member

That's what I expected, but a reboot of the router didn't fix it (the router is the Telstra Gen 2 gateway modem/router).
    I kicked myself afterwards that I didn't do any testing to see how far back the problem persisted - I didn't even check whether wireless devices were similarly affected. I suspect a PC spoofing the router's MAC address could be connected to the NCD (ie: not requiring an NCD reset) and would be also a useful step.

I think this is the same problem I see every week or so, so I'll do more the next time it barfs :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  14. caspian

caspian Member

there isn't any need for spoofing - this isn't Telstra HFC. just plug the PC directly into the NCD. Telstra use DHCP authentication, so your PC will obtain an IP directly from their network and be able to surf.

obviously proceed with caution with no NAT between you and the world.

also, have you tried rebooting the router only, but not the NCD? given the functionality of the NCD it's quite unlikely to be the cause of layer 3 issues only, such as when you said you can ping the remote DNS server but not remote hosts beyond your provider.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. arnold kluff

arnold kluff Member

Yep .. one of the things I did to verify that the UPLOAD "shaping" wasn't being done by the router was to direct connect a PC to the NCD. I found that the PC didn't get an IP address though until I also power-cycled the NCD.
    I had assumed that was a DHCP server enforced rule but if the server is in Telstra's house, I guess breaking the NCD link causes any existing lease to collapse as a side effect.

I did try rebooting the router only, but that didn't help. Again, maybe killing the NCD link causes a side effect in the DHCP server that remedies the problem.

I will dig deeper the next time it happens .. as I said, I didn't dig very far when I probably should have. For example, for all I know, the router might have thought that 192.18.1.1 was the DNS server and was happily pinging someone with that IP address (although that's not an address that should be on the upstream side of the NCD so far as I know) - hence the successful ping but inability to get any useful information out of it :)

16. Fool

Fool Member

caspian I can't get more than 5 up either, I sent you a PM.

17. caspian

caspian Member

guys, please read the comment I put back at the start of the thread:

hi all, for anyone reading, please note that this issue is specific to FTTC and does not affect any other technology.

18. iMystic

iMystic New Member

It was a stupid question

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  19. caspian

caspian Member

[​IMG]

*takes deep breath*

yes, I am VERY VERY SURE.

callan, arnold kluff and JSmithDTV like this.
  20. arnold kluff

arnold kluff Member

caspian ... I spent some time on Saturday (lunch-ish time into late evening) with my up speed stuck at around 10 Mbps. Is this "a related thing" or some completely different kind of pain? :)

Just to complicate the issue, I'm starting to blame the Telstra router for some stuff .. yesterday it wouldn't let anyone connecting by wifi see the internet, a wired connection although was fine.
    I also had a "nope, no connection to the internet is possible" period. A restart of the router didn't help, but disconnecting the router and direct-connecting a laptop to the NCD was successful. I guess it's possible that the physical act of pulling network cables was enough to reset something to make it happy .. maybe I'll drag out a spare switch and stick it between the router and the NCD to remove that step.
    I've suggested to Telstra they might like to replace the router (as I also saw what looked like OS level traffic servicing errors in the diagnostics log) so I'll wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.