[Solved]Overcoming CRC errors in DVD shrink

Discussion in 'General Software' started by wot?, Apr 12, 2009.

1. wot?

wot? Member

I hope this topic isn't illegal...... I am allowed to make a backup copy for personal use aren't I???

The kids favourite DVD at the moment is "Babe", but they are literally loving it to death. 3 year olds love to do stuff by themselves (including load the DVD player), but they have no idea how to treat a DVD properly. I tried to back it up with DVDShrink but the program halts mid-backup with a CRC error, and won't complete the job - probly because of a fingerprint or scratch. However the DVD plays fine all the way through when watching it.

How can I back it up?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

should have backed it up before the little ones got their grubby little hands on the discs.

you can try cleaning the read side of the disc with alcohol and leave to dry. then see if that works.

NOTE: deep gouges on the dvd wont be fixed by above. only dirt and finger prints.

3. breech

breech Member

There's nothing wrong with making backups. Clean the disk surface and try to back it up in other dvd drives as they all handle media with errors differently. The disk may benefit from a buff (as they do in the video shop), but it theres a chance it could make it worse.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  4. OP
    OP
    wot?

wot? Member

Thanks for the replies, but there must be another way ???

If the DVD player can ignore the error, why not a backup program?

5. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

reading a disc is not the same as copying a disc. reading a disc is more tolerant of errors but not copying it (backing it up).

6. breech

breech Member

You could try make an image of the disk - ignoring any errors and then burn it. May or may not work and copy protection could come into play also.

7. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

try another drive? some are more sensitive than others.

try another program, dvd decrypter for example

8. _Dan_

_Dan_ Member

Phone your local video shop and ask if they have a disc cleaning service. It should cost around $5 If it still has errors you could always rent the same dvd :Pirate:

9. stmok

stmok Member

Under current Australian Copyright Law => It is illegal.

Read this: Videos & DVDs: copying & downloading
    => http://www.copyright.org.au/PDF/InfoSheets/G026.pdf

...Unless you enjoy breaking Copyright Laws! :D

I suggest you read this overview: Australian Copyright Info
    => http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=Australian_Copyright_Info

The US laws have "Fair Use" clause to allow for personal backup copies.

Australian Laws do NOT! You can NOT make personal backup copies of DVD movies!

How can this be?

(1) Because of the Free Trade Agreement with the USA, we have modeled our law under theirs! (DMCA)...But harsher! NO Fair Use! :(

(2) The inability of most Australians to take part in changes to Copyright Laws. (Few people voiced their concerns with DVDs...Now everyone gets to suffer together!)

Technically, its illegal for OCAU to be hosting discussions regarding DVD ripping of movies.

It is OK to backup software that you own, for archival purposes. That is, you make a 1-to-1 copy including the DRM implementation with the software. (Create a CD/DVD image). Software cracks, bypassing or breaking copy protection mechanisms are illegal in Australia.

10. aznpsuazn

aznpsuazn Member

Wow I was never aware of that. The personal copy makes so much sense. Copyright laws never stopped anyone ... anyway, i've seen copies of Babe at markets/boot sales, for $2. Have a look around.

11. OP
    OP
    wot?

wot? Member

and they wonder why P@P is so prevalent :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help

12. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Hmm, sounds like you should try a different drive. Some are better than others at reading trouble discs.

Also get DVD Decrypter and in Tools > Settings > IO > set both retry types to 50. Then try rip the whole disc to your HDD. Keep retrying and retrying and you'll see that (hopefully) it'll eventually read the few hard-to-read Kbs and rip the rest of the disc. I did this for literally 2 days just hitting retry and I eventually got a very scratched disc to rip!

13. OP
    OP
    wot?

wot? Member

DVD Decrypter FTW :thumbup:
    Worked 1st go!