SOLVED [SOLVED] PC randomly won't boot / randomly turns off

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Little Man, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Little Man

Little Man Member

[ISSUE: Corsair AX850 was issue, googling shows many users with same psu having identical problems.]

Hey all,

Symptoms:

- Won't boot some times (power button does nothing, but then sometimes 2 minutes after pushing power it turns on)

- Sometimes have to remove all cards/cmos battery to get it to boot, then sometimes if i add cards back it it wont boot again

- Works 100% fine when it does turn on.

- Adding hardware seems to trigger it sometimes

- Last time it wouldn't boot, plugging a cable into the hdmi port of GPU made it turn on :confused:

Has been an issue since i built the computer in 2012 but used to be once every few months, now is happening couple times a week.

Quick google says it might be cmos battery? Would explain why its getting progressively worse (as the battery gets progressively flatter im guessing)

SOS

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Sounds like motherboard going

3. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

This.

Just leave thr battery out and boot the pc. See if your problem continues. Fairly sure it will.

Unlikely irs a short but could b since had the pc since it was built.

Pc specs?

I see your in 3147. Im 3146/3148. Could have a look but i only have x99 rigs now to test.

4. OP
    OP
    Little Man

Little Man Member

Thats what I'm thinking.
    Might try boot without, will post back.

I wondered if its a short because the computer would sometimes also turn off if it was bumped or knocked.

Most recently its started turning off during gaming sessions, namely BF4 and BF1.

Never had this issue before and even stress testing never caused it to just turn off. :confused:

I wonder if its the the extra power draw from gaming causing either the psu fail or perhaps the power drawing from the pci-e slow is also causing issues.

Specs are:

16GB
    ASUS P8z77m-pro
    GTX 1070 (just bought this a couple weeks ago, wondering if its this as I've never had the pc turn off during games before).
    Corsair AX850

5. OP
    OP
    Little Man

Little Man Member

Most recent incidents:

- Unexpected shut down during games

- Unexpected shutdown during web browsing (definitely more frequent during games)

- Sometimes won't start in the morning

- Just now crashed during games, wouldn't turn on until about 5-10 minutes after i pressed power button

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Run HWInfo during a session (doing anything) and what are the temps and voltages like?

Check Reliability Monitor - anything flagged when these crashes are happening (date and time stamps are there):
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722107(v=ws.10).aspx

What was your previous Vid. Card?

How did you clean the old drivers and add the new ones for the 1070?

Can you take a pic of the system (want to have a look at the caps)?

7. OP
    OP
    Little Man

Little Man Member

Bit of an update on this.

Decided to swap out the PSU for an old ~2006 vintage psu and surprisingly its runs fine and havn't had a single issue in the 3 days ive been using it, with lengthy game sessions in that time.

The hero of the day:

[​IMG]

Safe to say i think my Corsair psu is faulty, however i don't know how i'll go during RMA since the psu can operate properly for up to a week and as little an half an hour between power offs.

How am i supposed to prove this to corsair? Im guessing they'll sit it on a bench, it'll probably work fine for the short duration of their test and they want to send it back. :tired:

Has anyone had any experience with corsair RMA?